2018 Ram 1500 5.7 Rough shifting and bumpy transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OGlarry29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello RAM family, this is my first post here. I own a 2018 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I've had it for about a year and a half now and I absolutely it, although it's given me a few problems lately. I started noticing some harsh shifting up and down, specially in low gears, the truck would hesitate when barely pressing on the gas at around 30mph, and then when I tried gain some more speed by pressing the gas, I would feel a very noticeable "jerk" or push. This was specially annoying when driving in traffic around town.
Took it to the dealer and got a "bad" transmission diagnostic, so they ended up replacing it under warranty. I have over 129000 k miles on it so I didn't think much of if at the time, I thought that would definitely fix the problem and I was excited to get a brand new tranny. However, it's even a few months after tranny replacement and the truck is back to doing the "exact" same little jump when pressing on the gas after slowing down sometimes, and this time it came accompanied by a "bump" right before coming to a stop. I've heard about this latter problem in many forums and around my dealer and everybody says its the programming so I don't know what's "normal" at this point. I have however noticed that by disabling MDS temporarily by going into manual shifting mode the jerk at low speeds goes away COMPLETELY and it just drives way better overall. Could this be engine related to the MDS? Transmission? is this behavior normal? I have also performed quicklearns and it drives better for a while but comes back.
Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Jesusplusnothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I realize this is a 2 year old post. Did you ever get it figured out? Mine does literally the exact same thing.