2018 RAM 1500 CPO w/27K won't turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Certified Preowned 2018 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 w/27K won't turn over, dash lights etc. all come on though. "Service Brake System" and "Service Trailer Brake System" errors flashed on dash - has OEM trailer brake, never connected yet.

Towed to the shop Friday, waiting for call. 3/36 warranty will cover, but what might I expect to be replaced/repaired?

Sat for a week during cold snap, fired it up carefully (bought 9/16) and ran errands in very small town here in rural northern Nebraska.

I know there's a gazillion possibilities but I expect electronic something or other (since nearly everything in these is electronic). Freshly retired computer tech so trying to learn the 4th gen foibles since it's going to be around a L O N G time... I think.

Also checking out Mopar extended warranties, too old to be rolling around inside or under anymore.

Bought a RAM in part because there is a local Dodge-Jeep-RAM dealer here (only dealership for 40 miles) plus lots of other RAMs and Dodges driving so I figured it was a calculated risk.

(Have driven Toyotas and Mazdas for years, troublefree operation a huge deal for me and the Mrs. She is a pastor and can be called out any time day or night so the vehicles need to start and run first time every time.)

Any and all suggestions welcome.

OP
OP
BlueGuyRedState
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
NJMOPAR, spot on. Dealer just called - dead battery, replaced under warranty, ready to pick up.

Saw several other "won't start" posts for 2018 and later RAMs, wonder who the OEM manufacturer is? QC an issue - just retired after several decades of computer repair and did LOTS of batteries over the years.

So problem solved! Just got a decent quote from Chrysler Warranty Direct for extending the warranty prior to 3/36 expiration, likely to pull that trigger - too old for rolling around inside or outside a half ton truck... unless I choose to!

Tom6363

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4x4
Engine
6.4/3.73
Agreed, a battery can cause said issues. I would look into a cheap obd reader, that would give you a huge advantage knowing when you need an egr valve or o2 sensor etc. If you have no idea what's wrong , a dealer can make up anything they want to ( muffler bearings causing undulations resulting in the transmission blowing out) for the purpose of making a buck.

D

Deleted member 26229

NJMOPAR, spot on. Dealer just called - dead battery, replaced under warranty, ready to pick up.

Saw several other "won't start" posts for 2018 and later RAMs, wonder who the OEM manufacturer is? QC an issue - just retired after several decades of computer repair and did LOTS of batteries over the years.

So problem solved! Just got a decent quote from Chrysler Warranty Direct for extending the warranty prior to 3/36 expiration, likely to pull that trigger - too old for rolling around inside or outside a half ton truck... unless I choose to!

You got a new battery under warranty? I feel dumb for buying my own now.

OP
OP
BlueGuyRedState
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Tom 6363, saw several other RAM 1500 owners with 2018-2019 OEM batteries that crapped out like this. Any third party batteries that people like in the RAM? Dealer replaced it in a jiffy (part of the reason we went RAM is that there is a long time Dodge/Jeep/RAM dealer right here in our town of 1600) but still... suggestions always welcome. Polite ones anyway!

freeloader247, dealer covered replacement (and tow to dealership) under remainder of 3/36 OEM warranty. Living in a small town in rural Nebraska so no handy parts stores, tow truck had to drive 15 miles to get here, so checking out Chrysler warranties, will prolly spring for one. Just retired, this will be the tow vehicle for a small travel trailer (T@B 320 CS) so we need things to work and somebody to fix them when they don't. Too old to roll around inside or outside a half ton truck unless I feel like it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad that's all it was, you had some Spiritual guidance as well, God bless your Wife!!