2018 ram 1500 crew cab n-fab black epyx running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a set of these steps about a week ago:

https://realtruck.com/p/n-fab-black-epyx-steps/v/ram/truck-1500/2018/

Everyone says they are extremely easy to install; however, I am not having any such luck for some reason. The truck in the installation video has a completely different mounting setup then my truck and the instructions that came with the steps are complete garbage. I'll post a picture later of the type of mounting setup my truck has. If anyone has any advice on how to install these, I would greatly appreciate it.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have you tried contacting the manufacturer for instructions to go with your truck?

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
have you tried contacting the manufacturer for instructions to go with your truck?
Just emailed them. I always try to find videos or at least, better detailed instruction articles but since none exist, I'll see what they say. Custom truck outfitters in my area are quoting anywhere from $75-$150 for installation so if I can avoid that, that would be great.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i hear you. i like to check out videos too as I did with my Westins but in the end I actually used the paper instructions in this case. the best video i found the guy did it like it was his 50th time. slow down dude!!!!

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i hear you. i like to check out videos too as I did with my Westins but in the end I actually used the paper instructions in this case. the best video i found the guy did it like it was his 50th time. slow down dude!!!!
Lol! So, just got a response back from the manufacturer. Only took about 5 minutes after I emailed them so that's certainly some quick response time. The only issue I'm actually having is with installing the center brackets because they are set up differently than the others. We'll see how this goes.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well thats cool anyhew. i found with mine there was about 3 different ways to do. some rams have pre threaded holes, some needed a rivnut and there was one other system... all for the same model yr! worst part was a huge back of bolts... and doing it in february! if yours has rivnuts and instructions to use a torque wrench on them. do it! that was where i took for granted it would be ok and when i actually did use a torque wrench all of the ones with rivnuts were way under torqued.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't say I have ever found a set I really like. I think I actually like those. Good luck with the install, want to see pics

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well thats cool anyhew. i found with mine there was about 3 different ways to do. some rams have pre threaded holes, some needed a rivnut and there was one other system... all for the same model yr! worst part was a huge back of bolts... and doing it in february! if yours has rivnuts and instructions to use a torque wrench on them. do it! that was where i took for granted it would be ok and when i actually did use a torque wrench all of the ones with rivnuts were way under torqued.
Yeah that's what one of the truck accessories installers near me told me in his response email, because he said that he would need to evaluate my truck in person in order to get an accurate estimate. Hopefully the manufacturer can help me out. I sent him some very detailed pictures of what I'm dealing with. It honestly can't be that difficult.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't say I have ever found a set I really like. I think I actually like those. Good luck with the install, want to see pics
Fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
oh yeah..it can..hahahahaah! sometimes they make it more difficult than it needs to be. when i got my westins, i got pretty worked up because people were saying that 2 brackets were reversed on the passenger side from the instructions, the front drivers bracket (but not passengers front bracket) is beefed up compared to the other 5 (kinda makes sense). you are supposed to apparently take a bolt used for something else that is oversize to get the rivnuts going then take out and use the proper bolts after seated..goes on and on. turned out they had fixed the bracket mixup on the instructions 2 years before..and the rivnut? i jut **** the right bolt in, tightened the damn things down, gave it a good tug, seems solid. torqued it, check it once in awhile. all good. But in the end, it's 6 damn brackets and matching holes on a truck and the steps. should be that simple, right? LOL

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

i say look at it one more time. sleep on it, and i bet you figure it out. that seems to be where i solve my problems best:) LUCK!!! if you can find a copy of instructions that you can link and what the problem you are having is, maybe multiple minds can sort it out.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i say look at it one more time. sleep on it, and i bet you figure it out. that seems to be where i solve my problems best:) LUCK!!! if you can find a copy of instructions that you can link and what the problem you are having is, maybe multiple minds can sort it out.

This is really the only issue I'm having:

View media item 27823
That's how the center mounting sections are set up. They are unthreaded hexholes, so you have to use those clips. The only problem is that the only bolts that fit through those holes properly are the ones on the left in the image below and it only came with 2 of those larger washers. That's not necessarily a big deal because I'm sure I have extras lying around somewhere.

View media item 27824
However, even when I tighten the bolts down, the bracket isn't secure so I'm checking with the tech over at the manufacturer to find out if I need to drill into the truck and use a third bolt on each side.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
lol. see my next post with the video. unfortunately he only really shows an end bracket install. to me it looks like your center brackets are backwards and the built in nuts should be facing inward like the bracket on his video..so i thought it was simply flip them around..but...then the hooks that hang over the slot wouldn't face the right way?

are the fronts and rears like his picture and different from the center bracket?

these ARE advertised as no drilling required!

Last edited:

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok..did you see this video? all i could see on their websites was 2019 ram (which has the 3 studs built in at each position and different bracket completely and jeeps. so i found this. looks like yours to me.

honesty? i don't like the mounting system cause i guess i'm used to the idea of a 3 hole system like mine.. i like the simplicity of install thats for sure and it looks like you have that bracket style. btw watch in the vid how they seem to bounce a bit. don't know if that concerns you. i like mine solid and they seem to be more solid than that. i don't think they can go anywhere but if there isn't i'd probably make sure there's lock washers on there, those spikey kind if you know what i mean.

also, while i didn't see the link again, while watching a video a message popped up on right side to click a link for a video with a fix for these ratting! soooo..there's that.

Last edited:

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok. last time and i think this helps in a few ways as its the same guy fixing his rattle and a much brighter video. the hooks on your legs in the center clip? i believe they were bent the wrong way and are backwards. also as per your concern, these things aren't very damn secure the holes and clips loosen up enough that they rattle as you'll hear in the video. he has a fix for it and appears to work, but i think it's a short term as the foam cushions will wear down..or crush and fall out. i don't know. it looks great, easy to install, not sure about how it secures.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok as I started to drift off one more thought. I wonder if the guy in vid has an older crappy design. Because of the rattle and lack of support where it bolts on bottom into truck. So heres my thought

Can the brackets flip around so you put the bottoms with the holes INSIDE the rockers? Then the bottom clicks into hex holes..top hook still clamps on top. Then the bolts are actually going through the rocker to the bolt holes and there's lots of support for the steps. I bet they wouldnt rattle then, either. Its not quite the same system, but thats kind of how my Weston system supports the bar brackets and they do not rattle or bend! They had to have had complaints the way they were on that guys truck!

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree it looks like you could flip the brackets around and fish them through so the threaded insert is inside the rocker. Then the bolts will be going through the rocker and firmly clamping against the rocker when you tighten them down. I don’t see how it could ever be secure with the brackets and threads on the outside like that? Idk if it’s actually a design flaw, or just poor instructions but that’s the only way I can see them really working. My steps are a different brand but used those same holes, but with a metal plate with welded studs that fished into the rocker so the plate is inside the rocker with the studs sticking out and they are very secure. Slightly different approach but it’s the same concept as long as you have a bolt and nut with the rocker sandwiched in between the end result is the same.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree it looks like you could flip the brackets around and fish them through so the threaded insert is inside the rocker. Then the bolts will be going through the rocker and firmly clamping against the rocker when you tighten them down. I don’t see how it could ever be secure with the brackets and threads on the outside like that? Idk if it’s actually a design flaw, or just poor instructions but that’s the only way I can see them really working. My steps are a different brand but used those same holes, but with a metal plate with welded studs that fished into the rocker so the plate is inside the rocker with the studs sticking out and they are very secure. Slightly different approach but it’s the same concept as long as you have a bolt and nut with the rocker sandwiched in between the end result is the same.

Exactly. The guys in the video may be old or bad design..or maybe he put them on backwards and they would have worked. I drop my 250 lb hard on those..they are toast

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok..did you see this video? all i could see on their websites was 2019 ram (which has the 3 studs built in at each position and different bracket completely and jeeps. so i found this. looks like yours to me.

honesty? i don't like the mounting system cause i guess i'm used to the idea of a 3 hole system like mine.. i like the simplicity of install thats for sure and it looks like you have that bracket style. btw watch in the vid how they seem to bounce a bit. don't know if that concerns you. i like mine solid and they seem to be more solid than that. i don't think they can go anywhere but if there isn't i'd probably make sure there's lock washers on there, those spikey kind if you know what i mean.

also, while i didn't see the link again, while watching a video a message popped up on right side to click a link for a video with a fix for these ratting! soooo..there's that.
Yeah I saw that video and it doesn't help at all. He basically puts the clips in and then 2 seconds later, the steps are installed.