2018 RAM 1500 Fuel Tank Fill Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, thankfully I have a second vehicle I can drive while I tinker with my truck! Did you have to drop the tank to replace the evap canister?
I replaced everything at one time after I removed the old tank. I’ve read and it certainly looks like you can replace the evap canister without dropping the tank. Look at the second pic above and you’ll see that it only has three hoses attached and one electrical connection at the white plastic end. All connections can be reached with the unit on the gas tank. You will need to remove the heat shield from the gas tank. Four spring metal press on clips that can be gently pried off and reused. The heat shield then just slides off toward the driveshaft. Gives you a clearer picture and easier access. If you message me I can give you the name of the parts supplier I used. They are CJDR dealer and have great prices with low shipping. Not sure if the forum rules allow public posting of merchants.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
My 2019 Ram 1500 had a problem in 2021 with the Rollover Valve in the gas tank. My Dealer went through several manufacture directed steps starting with including an upgraded filler pipe. In the end the final step was replacing the tank with a new one that includes a new ROLLOVER VALVE which was the PROBLEM.

I was lucky that it was still under warranty and the Dealer was really good with my problem. Including a free rental for the two weeks it took for the trial and error repairs.

mrclean426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would check 2 things.
1 anti siphon valve at bottom of fill tube at fuel tank
2 the air relief which be be plumbed into the emissions system for vapor recovery. i am unfamiliar with the 2018 but they all have both.

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
1st of all thank you for posting the part numbers. After following the "Hard To Fill With Fuel" Diagnosis and Testing under Fueling Issues thread https://1drv.ms/b/s!AojwsjavMvQdpniBniBO245B3Jz7?e=XnBcC1 thanks to Fast69Mopar for posting that.

I went through the steps and step 5 has you removing the large canister tube on the front of the canister or the fuel tank and try to fill with gas. I was amazed, the pump did not shut off (it actually felt strange... lol). I crawled back under the truck while at the pump and reconnected the tube and pumped more gas and within a couple of gals it started shutting off again. According to the test this means the canister is bad. I ordered the new canister online and will be replacing that BUT, I have questions.

I assume I can just brace the tank in place with floor jacks and loosen the holding straps so I can remove the heat shield since it between the straps and the tank? But is the canister held in place by clips similar to the ones that hold air filter covers in place that just pop out? I have searched the www for a video or instructions on replacing the canister but no luck (maybe I will make one).

Thanks

Last edited:

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Sure, parts I replaced with part number.
Fuel filler tube-68448220AA

Fuel vapor canister filter-52029887AD

Fuel tank/26 gallon-68323675AC

Purge control valve-4627694AB

Emissions vapor canister-52029887AD

Message me for the vendor I used. I’m not sure if the site rules allow me to publicly state a merchant. I will say it pays to shop around as I saved a lot especially on shipping the fuel tank.
1st of all thank you for posting the part numbers. After following the "Hard To Fill With Fuel" Diagnosis and Testing under Fueling Issues thread https://1drv.ms/b/s!AojwsjavMvQdpniBniBO245B3Jz7?e=XnBcC1 thanks to Fast69Mopar for posting that.
I went through the steps and step 5 has you removing the large canister tube on the front of the canister or the fuel tank and try to fill with gas. I was amazed, the pump did not shut off (it actually felt strange... lol). I crawled back under the truck while at the pump and reconnected the tube and pumped more gas and within a couple of gals it started shutting off again. According to the test this means the canister is bad. I ordered the new canister online and will be replacing that BUT, I have questions.
I assume I can just brace the tank in place with floor jacks and loosen the holding straps so I can remove the heat shield since it between the straps and the tank? But is the canister held in place by clips similar to the ones that hold air filter covers in place that just pop out? I have searched the www for a video or instructions on replacing the canister but no luck (maybe I will make one).
Thanks

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BUT, I have questions.
Thanks
What questions do you have? I’m more than happy to answer any questions. I just replaced my 26 gallon tank, evap charcoal canister, filler neck, purge vent filter and purge control solenoid myself. I’m familiar with the removal and repair.

If you are referring to the evap charcoal canister you do not need to drop the fuel tank for replacement. Removal of the heat shield is easy with the tank in place. There are two translucent white clips that hold the canister to the fuel tank and both are accessible from under the truck with the tank in place. There is one electrical connection and one hose plus a tricky push pin anchor with a zip tie that is a PITA to get off but even if you break it the replacement is not difficult as you can just zip tie it back on.

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
What questions do you have? I’m more than happy to answer any questions. I just replaced my 26 gallon tank, evap charcoal canister, filler neck, purge vent filter and purge control solenoid myself. I’m familiar with the removal and repair.

If you are referring to the evap charcoal canister you do not need to drop the fuel tank for replacement. Removal of the heat shield is easy with the tank in place. There are two translucent white clips that hold the canister to the fuel tank and both are accessible from under the truck with the tank in place. There is one electrical connection and one hose plus a tricky push pin anchor with a zip tie that is a PITA to get off but even if you break it the replacement is not difficult as you can just zip tie it back on.
Thanks again for the insight on what is holding the canister in place however, I understand that I don't need to drop the tank but obviously I will have to loosen the straps in order to remove the heatshield. I should be able to support it with floor jacks correct?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks again for the insight on what is holding the canister in place however, I understand that I don't need to drop the tank but obviously I will have to loosen the straps in order to remove the heatshield. I should be able to support it with floor jacks
Thanks again for the insight on what is holding the canister in place however, I understand that I don't need to drop the tank but obviously I will have to loosen the straps in order to remove the heatshield. I should be able to support it with floor jacks correct?
Yes, you are correct, you’ll need to support the tank and unbolt the straps via the two bolts on the driveshaft side of the tank to remove the heat shield. A floor Jack with a length of 2x4 between the tank and Jack will suffice. I ran the truck till the low fuel light came on and the evic said I had 20 miles till empty. The tank is plastic and doesn’t weigh more than about 10 pounds so even with a gallon of gas in it you’re dealing with 20-30 pounds at most. You don’t want to allow the tank to drop more than about 3 inches as there are hoses, electrical connectors and supply lines attached to the top part of the tank which only have a few inches of slack when lowering the tank.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the first pic you can see the white clips on the tank as viewed from above. The second pic you can see one of the white clips and how it attaches to the canister. The second clip is not visible in the pic but it releases the same way. The third pic are the hoses at the one end of the canister which release by depressing the two release tabs on the locking ring. The last pic shows the hose connection to the multifunction valve and the electrical connection. The hose pulls off and the electrical connection has a push tab that is in an awkward position so you’ll most likely have to remove it by feel only.

Attachments

• 4108CCE9-E183-44B1-B183-DEB83F1FBDBB.jpeg
    4108CCE9-E183-44B1-B183-DEB83F1FBDBB.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 8DCB4A53-94D1-485D-AE91-8A3255343B22.jpeg
    8DCB4A53-94D1-485D-AE91-8A3255343B22.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 49E13C83-82B5-47AA-BF4B-8E09DD88395C.jpeg
    49E13C83-82B5-47AA-BF4B-8E09DD88395C.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 44
  • 8D36E696-A3CF-4301-B972-800583DA0150.jpeg
    8D36E696-A3CF-4301-B972-800583DA0150.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 47

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thanks
UPDATE:
I replaced the charcoal canister, like you said, it wasn't too difficult however, it did not fix the problem. After about adding 4gals, it started shutting off on me. So, I guess I will be ordering a gas tank. Can you let me know where you bought yours? I would send a private msg but I guess I ain't smart enough to figure out how on here. Thanks again.

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

UPDATE:
I replaced the charcoal canister, like you said, it wasn't too difficult however, it did not fix the problem. After about adding 4gals, it started shutting off on me. So, I guess I will be ordering a gas tank. Can you let me know where you bought yours? I would send a private msg but I guess I ain't smart enough to figure out how on here. Thanks again.

riden2low

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having the same problem of fueling with my 2018 Ram 1500. It was ok until I paid it off LOL. Did a search and found this thread. A lot of good advice and I did some of the test but nothing. Im in my late 70's and was a good mechanic back in the day but decided to take it to the dealer. They did all of the test as described on here. It all came down to the tank check valve. I agreed to what they were telling me, similar what has been discussed here, now I am having a new tank and EVAC canister replaced. Most likely could get by on just the tank but might as well do everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45