2018 RAM 1500 Fuel Tank Fill Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve been having fuel filling issues for almost a year on my 2018 that have resulted in 30 minutes to pump 20 gallons of gas. Dealer said I needed $1600 in repairs to include a new tank, evap canister and multifunction valve. I then stopped by a local muffler shop and was quoted 100 bucks for a smoke test to pinpoint the problem part. Got me thinking how much it would cost me to do the repairs myself, skip the dealer and put the money for the test into parts. I’d consider my mechanical aptitude slightly better than average but no way an expert. I purchased a new tank, evap canister, vent filter and purge control valve for less than $500. Took about five hours to do and everything works like new. Yes I threw parts at it instead of identifying the exact problem but for less than a third of the dealer repair I feel pretty good about a practically new system. The new tank was stamped mfg in Erie, PA. The old tank was made in Canada. The rollover valve on the new tank is definitely different so hopefully that is the underlying issue with this problem. It’s not too difficult of a DYI if anyone is interested.

DoneThat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can you describe how the rollover valve is different. I have a poppet valve on mine. Stayed close with a light spring holding it.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you describe how the rollover valve is different. I have a poppet valve on mine. Stayed close with a light spring holding it.
I wish I would have taken a pic of the old and new. The old tank rollover valve was physically smaller while the new tank valve is larger with a larger spring. Not a heavier duty spring just larger to accommodate the size of the new valve. The old valve took up maybe 60-70% of the inlet and the new one about 90-95% of the inlet.

DoneThat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
From your description, I believe you have found the final answer to my fueling problem. I had removed the rollover spring on the old type tank, but got some splash-back. I have always thought the small rollover valve was the problem. Think the plastic swells over time and sticks. One more question, did you also change the filler neck?

DoneThat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Forgot to ask. Do you have the part number for the new tank from Erie Pa? Wish to thank you, hope this finally does it.

DoneThat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What color was the rollover valve on the new tank?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
my 21 warlock has done it on and off since not long after I got it last year. usually it clicks off a few times for the first 5 or 10 dollars and after that you dont hear the vapors trying to escape out the filler neck and it works perfectly.
last night it was hell I finally got in 5 gallons and that took all my patience. absolutely no flow even just trickling the gas in it was backing up the tube. I hate going to the dealer but this is no choice now I guess. I will check the vent filter as stated above...

DoneThat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’ve been having fuel filling issues for almost a year on my 2018 that have resulted in 30 minutes to pump 20 gallons of gas. Dealer said I needed $1600 in repairs to include a new tank, evap canister and multifunction valve. I then stopped by a local muffler shop and was quoted 100 bucks for a smoke test to pinpoint the problem part. Got me thinking how much it would cost me to do the repairs myself, skip the dealer and put the money for the test into parts. I’d consider my mechanical aptitude slightly better than average but no way an expert. I purchased a new tank, evap canister, vent filter and purge control valve for less than $500. Took about five hours to do and everything works like new. Yes I threw parts at it instead of identifying the exact problem but for less than a third of the dealer repair I feel pretty good about a practically new system. The new tank was stamped mfg in Erie, PA. The old tank was made in Canada. The rollover valve on the new tank is definitely different so hopefully that is the underlying issue with this problem. It’s not too difficult of a DYI if anyone is interested.
Do you have the part number for the new tank?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the part number for the new tank?
68323675AC was the part I used for my 2018 CCSB with the 26 gallon tank. I have the 3.6L Pentastar but if I remember correctly the above part shows for the 3.6 and 5.7.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From your description, I believe you have found the final answer to my fueling problem. I had removed the rollover spring on the old type tank, but got some splash-back. I have always thought the small rollover valve was the problem. Think the plastic swells over time and sticks. One more question, did you also change the filler neck?
I did change the fuel filler neck and the vent filter while I had the whole fill section pipe out.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Attachments

• F15AC358-8912-4703-BE1A-DC70108ED172.jpeg
    F15AC358-8912-4703-BE1A-DC70108ED172.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 45

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve been thinking about the rollover valve and I’m not convinced that any change to the valve would make a big difference in fueling the vehicle. I removed the spring on my old tank valve but still had fueling issues. When I removed my old tank the rollover valve was open due to the removed spring. That leads me to believe the valve wasn’t slowing the flow of fuel. If you search YouTube for Boosted Mororsports the guy has a 5.7L fourth Gen Ram 1500 and he changed out his fuel pump because he supercharged his truck. I followed his tank removal instructions but I found on my tank I have a hose inside the tank that attaches to the fuel pump. I’ve attached pics for you to see. I assumed the difference in the tank/fuel pump was because I have a 3.6 Pentastar BUT the tank I used for my replacement shows fitting both the 3.6 and 5.7. Boosted Motorsports did not show in his vid any internal hose connected to the fuel pump. This hose appears to be connected to some sort of vent. I’m thinking this is the problem. I wonder if anyone knows how these things work.

Attachments

• 5FC03FA4-E473-4EF7-9E49-F02B05E7D58C.jpeg
    5FC03FA4-E473-4EF7-9E49-F02B05E7D58C.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 46E7EEDE-58CB-4D12-8666-148396BA596D.jpeg
    46E7EEDE-58CB-4D12-8666-148396BA596D.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 22
  • E3C55F09-B28F-47A6-AB50-F21A3064D641.jpeg
    E3C55F09-B28F-47A6-AB50-F21A3064D641.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 22

TNRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Interesting info, would you be willing to share the part numbers and where you bought the parts? Thanks

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting info, would you be willing to share the part numbers and where you bought the parts? Thanks
Sure, parts I replaced with part number.
Fuel filler tube-68448220AA

Fuel vapor canister filter-52029887AD

Fuel tank/26 gallon-68323675AC

Purge control valve-4627694AB

Emissions vapor canister-52029887AD

Message me for the vendor I used. I’m not sure if the site rules allow me to publicly state a merchant. I will say it pays to shop around as I saved a lot especially on shipping the fuel tank.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ve been thinking about the rollover valve and I’m not convinced that any change to the valve would make a big difference in fueling the vehicle. I removed the spring on my old tank valve but still had fueling issues. When I removed my old tank the rollover valve was open due to the removed spring. That leads me to believe the valve wasn’t slowing the flow of fuel. If you search YouTube for Boosted Mororsports the guy has a 5.7L fourth Gen Ram 1500 and he changed out his fuel pump because he supercharged his truck. I followed his tank removal instructions but I found on my tank I have a hose inside the tank that attaches to the fuel pump. I’ve attached pics for you to see. I assumed the difference in the tank/fuel pump was because I have a 3.6 Pentastar BUT the tank I used for my replacement shows fitting both the 3.6 and 5.7. Boosted Motorsports did not show in his vid any internal hose connected to the fuel pump. This hose appears to be connected to some sort of vent. I’m thinking this is the problem. I wonder if anyone knows how these things work.
yes I believe it is a venting problem as well. when I start fueling you can hear the vapor coming back up the filler tube. its starts as a lower sound then as you pump gas in the hiss increases and gets higher pitched and by this time you can hear the fuel start to back up in the filler tube the pump clicks off.

now Ive noticed when I fill up at work (old gasboy pump that looks like it was new in the 70s lol) I have almost no problems. it will still do the initial click off but after once or twice its good. at the consumer pumps it can click off like 20 times or until I give up lol

Im wondering if the fact that my old school pump has no vapor recovery system that its able to "force" the gas in without clicking off because the threshold for clicking off is much higher then modern pumps. in the winter when its really cold sometimes it doesnt click off at all if you keep pumping it will overflow.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes I believe it is a venting problem as well. when I start fueling you can hear the vapor coming back up the filler tube. its starts as a lower sound then as you pump gas in the hiss increases and gets higher pitched and by this time you can hear the fuel start to back up in the filler tube the pump clicks off.

now Ive noticed when I fill up at work (old gasboy pump that looks like it was new in the 70s lol) I have almost no problems. it will still do the initial click off but after once or twice its good. at the consumer pumps it can click off like 20 times or until I give up lol

Im wondering if the fact that my old school pump has no vapor recovery system that its able to "force" the gas in without clicking off because the threshold for clicking off is much higher then modern pumps. in the winter when its really cold sometimes it doesnt click off at all if you keep pumping it will overflow.
I agree. My truck is a 2018 and came with the newer style fuel fill neck but not the latest and greatest version. When I first got the truck I had zero problems filling it. I never over filled or forced more fuel in after the pump kicked off. The filling issue got progressively worse over the past year and it’s out of warranty. I tried removing the rollover valve spring on my old tank. That offered almost no relief and allowed the fuel to fill up the neck and overflow onto the ground making two problems out of one. The dealer diagnosed the problem as the “tank” but wanted to replace the evap canister as it probably suffered some damage from the filling issue over the past year. I went overboard and yes I threw parts at the problem by replacing everything from the gas cap to the purge control valve in the engine compartment. I read multiple posts on Jeep forms that the purge control valves get old and stick causing fueling issues and CELs. No CEL in my case but I would occasionally get a gas smell in the cab after a fill up once this problem started to show up. For the price of the dealer repair I elected to change everything out myself and it now works perfectly but I’m not convinced that it won’t come back after a few years. As I stated in a previous post I have watched several YouTubers change fuel pumps in older Rams and none of those vids show a vent hose connected to the internal part of the fuel pump. It appears that the newer fourth Gens and the fifth Gens have this internal hose/fuel pump gizmo that leads to a vent mechanism inside the fuel tank. I’ll assume the rollover valve even without the spring is forced closed by a buildup of tank pressure and once closed gas fills up the fill neck and spills over. At least with the spring still attached the valve would make positive closure and the fuel pump would sense the tank wasn’t accepting fuel and turn off from back pressure. Something isn’t allowing the pressure to equalize in the tank. The only way the tank pressure equalizes is via the evap canister or the vent on the newer fuel pumps. The evap canister on the older fourth Gens look the same as the newer 4 and 5 Gens with the same hookups to the vent filter and fuel pump. Seems only thing that changed is the vent gizmo and internal hose connection to the newer fuel pumps. I just don’t know what it is and how it works but the dealer did say the newer tanks have a different vent and they have been problematic. They have been redesigned several times, my new tank is the latest and greatest redesign so only time will tell if they figured it out.

2018HarvestRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Atcer2018, is the charcoal canister located on the filler tube inside the fender? I've had problems filling the truck the last two times but have always had to play with the nozzles since I bought it! The last two times have been squeeze, click, wait, repeat! took me 20 minutes once to put in 15 gallons, this morning I stopped at 3 gallons because I was heading to work.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Atcer2018, is the charcoal canister located on the filler tube inside the fender? I've had problems filling the truck the last two times but have always had to play with the nozzles since I bought it! The last two times have been squeeze, click, wait, repeat! took me 20 minutes once to put in 15 gallons, this morning I stopped at 3 gallons because I was heading to work.
Same here, took 27 minutes to get 15 gallons in and that was all I could take in winter and I live in SE VA where winter is 50F lol. The evap canister is mounted on the gas tank facing the passenger side. It’s long and thin as shown in the attached pic. I believe the thing you’re talking about is the Fuel Vapor Canister Vent. It’s located alongside the fuel filler neck and can be accessed by removing the driver side rear wheel well liner. Looks like the third pic below.

Attachments

• D7DB900B-506A-4B75-8B54-D7DB340CEE70.jpeg
    D7DB900B-506A-4B75-8B54-D7DB340CEE70.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 41
  • E39A1683-0C1D-46EE-A4E2-6D4839B042E8.jpeg
    E39A1683-0C1D-46EE-A4E2-6D4839B042E8.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 7CEE3B60-DA1C-464D-A5D6-68C13D89DEAD.jpeg
    7CEE3B60-DA1C-464D-A5D6-68C13D89DEAD.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 42

2018HarvestRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Thanks, thankfully I have a second vehicle I can drive while I tinker with my truck! Did you have to drop the tank to replace the evap canister?

Last edited: