2018 Ram 1500 rear airbags!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mesta80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 4wd. It has the rough country 3” level lift so the rear coil has a spacer on top, what airbags can i use For the back

Joy360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 1500 4x4 cc with the 2.5 ready lift sst with a one inch spacer in the rear and just had airlift 5000 bags installed with wireless remote. Also bilstein shocks in all four

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2015 1500 4x4 cc with the 2.5 ready lift sst with a one inch spacer in the rear and just had airlift 5000 bags installed with wireless remote. Also bilstein shocks in all four

This sounds like a great setup. It's been a while since I shopped but a couple years ago it seems there were the cheap-o airlift 1000s or the good 5000 bags from Firestone and a few others. The 5000s are great and will help with a great setup right up to the truck's payload capacity. The problem with the 1500 truck is in order to get the nice ride, the read shocks and suspension are soft.

I run the Firestone 5000 bags on my 2500 and they are great. I am trying to encourage a buddy with a 1500 to to get the same bags to help his truck sit more level when towing.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 4wd. It has the rough country 3” level lift so the rear coil has a spacer on top, what airbags can i use For the back
Both AirLift 5000 and Timber Grove airbags offer spacers for lifted trucks. Both offer a no cut/bolt on style frame to axle air bag set up.

I run the Firestone 5000 bags on my 2500 and they are great. I am trying to encourage a buddy with a 1500 to to get the same bags to help his truck sit more level when towing.
Hope he uses a WDH too for trailers over 5K. Airbags are not a replacement for a WDH, using just airbags increases the load on the rear axle and doesn't return any weight to the front. Both a WDH and air bags can be used together.

Joy360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both AirLift 5000 and Timber Grove airbags offer spacers for lifted trucks. Both offer a no cut/bolt on style frame to axle air bag set up.

Hope he uses a WDH too for trailers over 5K. Airbags are not a replacement for a WDH, using just airbags increases the load on the rear axle and doesn't return any weight to the front. Both a WDH and air bags can be used together.
Weight distribution hitch is definitely a must

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Yep, definitely has a WDH... and yes, it's adjusted right. The airbags would just allow him to ride with more weight on the truck for a better towing experience (less sway, etc.). He has plenty of payload @ 1800# and a 6K loaded trailer, but the ass of the truck starts to sag with barely anything in the truck it seems. Again.... soft suspension and shocks.

I know the 1500s and payload gets talked about a lot but it's for good reason. At max, most have their headlights pointing at the sky. In contrast, my 2500 rides basically level with 3000# (max payload) in the bed.

406shark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have the same level lift on my 2017. I just installed the Airlift 1000HD bags on it last weekend.

I pulled the springs out, one at a time, then removed the spacer. The spacer has a bolt that goes through the middle to center the spacer in place. I drilled out 1/4" holes through the spacers and top plate on each side of the center bolt. I installed 1/4" X 2" long bolts, flat washers for each end and 1/4" nylon lock nuts. Then removed the center bolt, knocked the nut tacked to the center hole area. Then drilled the center hole bigger, 5/8" drill bit I had lying around. Then chamfered the holes slightly so I wouldn't have to worry about anything.

Put it back together with the bags installed and ran the lines. Added air to 35 psi and drove it around for about 10 miles, then parked it. It sat for 36 hours... didn't lose even 1 pound of air. Lowered them down to 5 psi and the rear is sitting back at level.

If you're not in a big hurry... I'll be able to give an update after I get back from hauling my car trailer and race truck back up from Tennessee in about 10 days.

Jeff