2018 Ram 1500 UAQ upgrade with a 2018 UAQ Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
used to be when you bought the base model, you were able to add upgrades, doesnt seem to be the case nowadays

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
so according to the parts dept at the dealership, according to my VIN, I can't install this radio and they recommended I go aftermarket
They don't know what they're talking about. They only support 'As installed' factory items per VIN and your vin says otherwise.

M² Mods.

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
They don't know what they're talking about. They only support 'As installed' factory items per VIN and your vin says otherwise.

M² Mods.

ok, whew, cause i like being able to put my phone in my bag or pocket and still see the gps or screen on the radio while driving- still gonna save up and buy parts piece by piece

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
ok, whew, cause i like being able to put my phone in my bag or pocket and still see the gps or screen on the radio while driving- still gonna save up and buy parts piece by piece
Related to what Scottie listed (keep in mind a 2500 is a little different setup vs a 1500).

- DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade.

How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM.
(Please read posts 1-5)

How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck.
(Please read posts 1-8)

HVAC problem with UAS upgrade. (see ATC thread)

Note: If using a 18 UAQ or UAS radio (Android Auto/CarPlay) you will need ...

18/19 RADIO: 68331631AH (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68331635AH (UAS 4c)

18 Premium USB Hub (Supports Apple vs stock one)
PN: 68328704AC (RAM)

UAx USB Hub Adapter harness (from M² Mods)

* 18 HVAC module (vs 13-17)
.... current one will often work with ATC feature/hardware active

* 14-18 ram 1500's have a variable displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 7 speed fan)
>> 14-17's w/RAx = 68268186Ax HVAC module (ie RA4 Radio)
>> 18/19's w/UAx = 68366552AA HVAC module (ie UAQ Radio)

* 13-18 ram 2500/3500's (& 13 Ram1500) have a fixed displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 4 speed fan)
>> 14-17's w/RAx = 68105017Ax HVAC module (ie RA4 Radio)
>> 18/19's w/UAx = 68366553AA HVAC module (ie UAQ Radio)

& the current thinking is to match the HVAC module to the 8.4 radio year, but there have been a lot of HVAC Blend/Temperature issues with the UAx radio upgrade that are fixed with the ATC Mod.

Now, as far as the mics... 17-18 truck's have them in the headliner and no one is currently offering a harness kit to add them in the OEM location.
Edit: I now offer a harness to add overhead mics in headliner on 17-18/classic trucks.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Mike Collins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Way more work and money than i'm going to spend. I plan on trading soon so I'll get the most up to date **** then but this is an awesome write-up and thanks..

MetalSlugg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Awesome info from everyone, this was a great detailed post and I'm currently working on doing this same upgrade.

CLeng3940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the write up @Scottieone12 . I’ll be installing this soon hopefully. Have most of the parts on order, & wiring ordered from @Mpgrimm2

Still searching for a uaq radio. Not sure what a good price is for one. If anyone has some input on what I should expect to pay for the uaq it’d be appreciated.

CLeng3940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@CLeng3940 look at car-parts.com for the radio

I’ve been on there fairly regularly. Got my 7” cluster and upper glove box there. Best price I’ve seen so far for the uaq is $800. Wasn’t sure if that was a good price or not.

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been on there fairly regularly. Got my 7” cluster and upper glove box there. Best price I’ve seen so far for the uaq is $800. Wasn’t sure if that was a good price or not.
If you don't mind doing some extra work(build a mount for the screen) you can get a UAV Radio either from a 2019/2020 Ram or Grand Cherokee for less.

CLeng3940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you don't mind doing some extra work(build a mount for the screen) you can get a UAV Radio either from a 2019/2020 Ram or Grand Cherokee for less.

I’ve heard guys have had problems when they don’t get the same style/year radio. Was told I should look for a 18-20 classic uaq. Can you elaborate on the work or do you have a picture I can see? Don’t really know what you’re referring to with the screen mount...

Abnsapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2015, 2018
Engine
Got a question for y'all. Have a 2018 Ram express. Replaced the entire dash wire loom with a 2018 ram Laramie and installed a oem amp. Started the truck up and the 8.4 (took from a 2015 ram) will not work. I mean nothing, almost like it has absolutely no power at all. Replaced the Hvac control module to 68366552AA, still nothing. Checked fuse(s), all seem okay. My heater works, A/C does not. I can't even get a light to come on the radio. Just thinking that perhaps 2018 trucks need the 2018 or up radios due to the change from 17-18 especially considering that the truck now has Laramie wiring. Just can't figure out the issue. All plugs were the same an connected. The radio should power the same way, no matter if it is a 2017 or 18. Not sure if I am ging to need to pull the trigger on that over priced Hvac control module that prices around $450. Anybody have any ideas?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Got a question for y'all. Have a 2018 Ram express. Replaced the entire dash wire loom with a 2018 ram Laramie and installed a oem amp. Started the truck up and the 8.4 (took from a 2015 ram) will not work. I mean nothing, almost like it has absolutely no power at all. Replaced the Hvac control module to 68366552AA, still nothing. Checked fuse(s), all seem okay. My heater works, A/C does not. I can't even get a light to come on the radio. Just thinking that perhaps 2018 trucks need the 2018 or up radios due to the change from 17-18 especially considering that the truck now has Laramie wiring. Just can't figure out the issue. All plugs were the same an connected. The radio should power the same way, no matter if it is a 2017 or 18. Not sure if I am ging to need to pull the trigger on that over priced Hvac control module that prices around $450. Anybody have any ideas?

You can't just use the dash harness from a parts truck in many cases as-is for an 8.4 upgrade. Too many variations in wiring and signals between 13-18 years, between 1500/2500, & trim levels (Blame the engineers). Just because a harness section plugs in doesn't mean it had the same signals on all of the same pins ie that the signals make it all the way back to where they need to go at the next harness. It's a exercise in futility in most cases.

Edit:
I have had 3 or 4 people ask me about trying this in a private message over the last 2 weeks. Sure it can be done, if you compare connector to connector and pin to pin between each truck and it's schematics to figure it out. There are too many examples of FCA moving signals/pins around between pins in the same connector or even different connectors to list on the 13-18/classic trucks. (Foglights = same connector/different pins on 1500 vs 2500 for one)

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Abnsapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2015, 2018
Engine
Roger that! So, I have had some time to work through this. Yes, this harness will work for basic connections such as all the minor conveniences. This is due to the same wiring throughout every and each 1500 harness that must have generic wiring to operate and power up. Where the issue becomes cloudy is in the additions from a Laramie harness transplanted into an express truck. So, everything works aside from the radio. I have checked continuity, volts, etc. What is mighty interesting is my added amp (OEM) and 8.4 are receiving power and by all accounts should at very least power up. Nope! I would say at this point that is is exactly as you mention Mg, the addition of wires (which is evident on the 52, 48, and 38? pinouts. The new harness has considerably more wires. I thought at first that perhaps the OEM amp linked power to the radio as well. If the amp was not working or not powering on, then it would make perfect sense that the radio would follow suit. Of course, this is simply not the case because the amp has a dedicated power source, which so happens, express level models have the amp 12v wire in place from the PDC, through the firewall and into the black connector (48 pin?) So, the issue must be a slight difference in module wiring, perhaps a simple difference in 2 or three wires that is not allowing the radio to work. I thought the Hvac module may have been the issue, but it is not. For those of you looking for Hvac modules, I can now tell you that multiple modules will work in an 18' Ram with Laramie harness and none of them are the overly priced module (350-400$). I am lost to what the issue is and I am done trying to figure it out. I am going to replace the system, looking at tesla. If anything, I can reroute the wiring . Thanks for the info and God bless. Essayons!

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve heard guys have had problems when they don’t get the same style/year radio. Was told I should look for a 18-20 classic uaq. Can you elaborate on the work or do you have a picture I can see? Don’t really know what you’re referring to with the screen mount...

The 2019+ Ram(not classic) and Grand Cherokee, have 2 piece Navigation radios(UAV), the screen mounts to the dash bezel instead of the dash structure. This thread shows what is required to get it installed. I was able to get a harness(splitter between the screen and HVAC controls) on ebay so the most work was mounting the screen and that wasn't too bad, wish I had pictures(I was chomping at the bit to get it installed). All I needed to use the factory screw locations was some 1/8inch ABS plastic(to create a mounting tab), some epoxy(attach the screen to the mounting tab) and some cutters to trim the metal on the screen bezel.