2018 RAM 2500 4x4 Tradesman - Shocks, gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4L V8 OHV 16V FI Engine w/VVT
Hi. I am hoping to get some advice on my truck that I purchased used last November. It had 55k mileage and carfax shows it was a commercial owner before me (not rental/lease). So I am assuming that company done a lot of towing mileage. Although the truck is in great shape, a few issues I am having are:

1. I asked my RAM dealer service if my truck was lifted, since it seems sitting high. He looked at the rear wheel and said I don't see any lift. But perhaps it may be just the front (leveled). Anyway, my issue is going over tracks or big bumps. It almost seems to bounce going normal speed. So I slow down very slow over them and it's not as bad, but doesn't seem normal. The service guy said, those are definitely not stock shocks. Since the previous owner put them on, I have no idea what they are. They are yellow on top and blue on the bottom. So I am pretty sure they are Bilstein of some model. They aren't cheap if they are them. Perhaps the previous owner purchased the off-road version. So I am asking if perhaps I go with a different over-the-road shocks if that would help the harsh travel over tracks or bumps. I don't get good sense that the dealer service is any helpful. Any suggestions?

2. I have the 6.4 gas Hemi engine. Without towing anything and not having a heavy foot on the gas, around town I am lucky to get an avg of 13 mpg. When I first purchased it, it seemed to clip above 14, but that was some highway. Since I do have a higher mileage for the year, perhaps there is something that can be done to get better mileage, or is this the norm for this engine? Maybe it needs a new fuel filter? I am open to suggestions. I have a new 26' travel trailer, but I have not done any traveling and just short tows. But I am hoping to get a better gas mileage before I start traveling/towing.

Thanks for any help or advice.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
mine is the same year. the yellow and blue Bilsteins are factory with the off road package mine has it. they suck get some better shocks. i like my fox. and not autozone crap. your milage is right. empty i get 13 to 14 towing my 10.000 pound rv i get 7 to 8 less in the hills.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
The yellow and blue shocks are Bilstein 4500's. They may have come off a Power Wagon. They are extremely stiff. I changed mine out for 5100's and the ride improved a lot.
On my 2016 Power Wagon, fuel mileage is consistently 12-13 mpg not towing. I only have 10,000 miles on the truck so far.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can’t really comment on the shocks but doesn’t seem right to me if it is bouncy. I just have the regular non bilstien shocks on my heavy duty and it doesn’t do that. I have almost 150k and rides good considering the type of truck. I do have a leveling kit on mine. Your fuel mileage is about the best your going to get. Depending on the mix of driving you are doing it seems right to me. I have the same motor as you and get about 11-12 around town. As it was just mentioned, the fuel mileage is going to be significantly less towing. You will be under 10mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I have the off-road package and have the blue and yellow bilsteins. it is a harsh ride but i bought it to tow so didn't worry about it. My truck is averaging 12.2 as my fuelly link shows below. that is with about 1000 miles of towing a 9000lb boat and about 13,000 miles of mostly in town driving.

and yes, tires pressures matter. i run my rears at about 73-75 and fronts at 65. rides better than the 80 recommended in the rear

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What air pressure are the tires at? If they're at 80 and the truck is unloaded it's going to be a rough ride. I run mine at 55 front and 50 rear unloaded.

I have bilstein 5100 and they are pretty good empty but nice when you are loaded

I second the air pressure, makes a world of difference at 50-55psi vs 65 front and 80 in the back(empty…loaded up the rear at 80)

I get like 10-11 around town and 14-15 on the highway…I have a lead foot

towing my 16’ extra high enclosed trailer will be about 9.5 to 10 mpg on the highway ( about the same empty or full)

equipment trailer will be about 13 empty, 11k skid steer will be about 8mpg (weight starts to come into play)

also with summer vs winter blend fuels…my truck is horrible w winter fuel 12-13 on the highway and 9-10 around town (gotta love NJ/NY traffic)

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These are factory shocks on the off-road package. If you have a level kit it will look like the round disk above the spring also pictured here. 3DC854D0-FF2A-47CA-8AF0-E6F63DA06499.jpeg

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the replies and BIG help. I didn't even think about the tire pressure and I will deal with that. I'll try the 55 front and 50 read and see if that helps. I didn't buy the truck new, so I am unsure if it had the off road package. The previous owner might have had the Bilstein's put on. I'll look for that disk above the spring and see if it is leveled (pretty sure it is tho). I am not surprised the RAM dealer service didn't know about the Bilstein's and it is exactly why I am seeking help here. I can't rely on amazon for shocks because every shock I pull up, it claims they don't fit my Ram. Guess I'll have to check with our local tire shop.

It seems everyone is in agreement on the gas mileage. Very disappointing. I had several Ram 1500's 5.7 hemi and they all averaged around 14-15 city and 16-17 highway (not pulling anything). I don't really feel that much better performance or power between the 5.7 and the 6.4 when I hit the pedal. Oh well.

I'll report back on the tire pressure and shocks hopefully if I get it resolved. Thanks again for all the replies and help!

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks everyone for the replies and BIG help. I didn't even think about the tire pressure and I will deal with that. I'll try the 55 front and 50 read and see if that helps. I didn't buy the truck new, so I am unsure if it had the off road package. The previous owner might have had the Bilstein's put on. I'll look for that disk above the spring and see if it is leveled (pretty sure it is tho). I am not surprised the RAM dealer service didn't know about the Bilstein's and it is exactly why I am seeking help here. I can't rely on amazon for shocks because every shock I pull up, it claims they don't fit my Ram. Guess I'll have to check with our local tire shop.

It seems everyone is in agreement on the gas mileage. Very disappointing. I had several Ram 1500's 5.7 hemi and they all averaged around 14-15 city and 16-17 highway (not pulling anything). I don't really feel that much better performance or power between the 5.7 and the 6.4 when I hit the pedal. Oh well.

I'll report back on the tire pressure and shocks hopefully if I get it resolved. Thanks again for all the replies and help!

Regarding the gas mileage vs. performance, the HD truck weighs significantly more than the half ton. If the acceleration doesn’t feel as responsive as you would like, look into getting a Pedal Commander.

I installed one on my 2015 Ram 3500, and it really woke up my truck. No more power is added, but the throttle response is much better.

I do not have the off-road package. I did switch out the factory shocks for Bilstein 5100’s and I’d have to say that really made the ride better.

If the previous owners had the truck only for towing check to make sure your tires are load range E, and not heavier duty. Anything heavier duty will really stiffen up your ride.

I also get about 11-12 around town, 16-17 on back roads, and 14-15 on the freeway.

And finally, congratulations on your new truck.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regarding the gas mileage vs. performance, the HD truck weighs significantly more than the half ton. If the acceleration doesn’t feel as responsive as you would like, look into getting a Pedal Commander.

I installed one on my 2015 Ram 3500, and it really woke up my truck. No more power is added, but the throttle response is much better.

I do not have the off-road package. I did switch out the factory shocks for Bilstein 5100’s and I’d have to say that really made the ride better.

If the previous owners had the truck only for towing check to make sure your tires are load range E, and not heavier duty. Anything heavier duty will really stiffen up your ride.

I also get about 11-12 around town, 16-17 on back roads, and 14-15 on the freeway.

And finally, congratulations on your new truck.

Yes, I will look into the tire pressure. If I can't get a better ride over harsh bumps, then I'll look into the Bilstein 5100. The pedal commander. Had to google that and I watched a few youtubes. Not sure I want to spend the $300 for one of those. I am not unhappy with the performance, it's just seemed my previous 1500 had better perk to acceleration. That could be because of the weight.

I'll also add about the bouncy bumps... that my truck ride is pretty smooth overall. It is just when I go over deep holes, or high bumps. It is almost brutal and it just feels like it is bouncing a little. Railroad tracks are a good example. As I said, I have to slow down to a creepy crawl to go over them, but still feel the bounce. Hopefully the tire pressure, or new 5100's will resolve that. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok folks. I went out to my truck and snapped a few pics for you on my front shocks and springs. It doesn't appear there is a disc above the spring. I could be wrong. I took two angle pics and hopefully it helps. If it is not leveled, it sure does seem level and high.

I also included a pic of my tire pressure settings. YEP! The rear tires are clipping in the 70's and the fronts are mid 50's. So I will increase the front to around 55 and bring the rear down to 50. Hopefully that resolves the harsh bumps.

Last pic is what my friendly local birds think of my truck. This is a daily thing and I have to power wash occasionally. It seems they want to sit right above and do their number... lol.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a hikeit x9 on my truck. Look into that one. Mine was around 180.00 I think. It’s just as good as the pedal commander in my opinion. To me it really wakes the truck up from a lag stand point. My 5.7 was probably peppier than my 6.4 is but like others have said it’s just heavy. It is definitely no race truck but it pulls so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6.4 is built to tow. Your truck weighs allot more than a 1500.
No one should be surprised at the poor fuel economy on a 7,000lb truck with a gas engine.
If you want better fuel economy buy a diesel at a significantly higher cost.

you think the fuel economy is bad wait until you pull 12k lol. You will be at 7mpg.

if you want a better ride buy Thuren or Carli springs front and back with some fox or king shocks.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had several Ram 1500's

^^This is why the ride seems harsh. Stiff suspension = carrying ability. Tire pressure and different springs can help but it's never going to be like your 1500s.

MPGs sound about right. Stop/go (city) driving and speed really bring it down. I average around 12 due to both conditions. Winter-blend fuel (used in my area anyway) also really brings my MPGs down.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My 2500 is similar, all stock. 10-12 around town, up to 17 on the highway.

As said, your 2500 is a piece of equipment, built to tow and haul heavy loads. There is a reason the window stickers say fuel mileage "n/a" lol.

I didnt buy my 2500 with any concern for fuel mileage, I bought it to do a job, and it does that job very well indeed.

Your truck must have already had the tpms thresholds lowered so your lucky there. I had to use alpha obd to lower mine. I typically run 54 lbs all the way around and it's a big difference. Good luck sir.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
i dont know but,looking at your pics it looks like your coils are somewhat bowed,check the amount of tire that sticks out of the fender ,i used a five ft level to make sure your front end isnt out of adjustment.And i went with billy 5160``s dont look back,jack

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

The 6.4 Motor was engineered to tow weight and last a long time, not to be fast. Keep in mind also, the HD 2500's are about a to heavier than any 1500.
Put that big Hemi in a 1500 and I bet you'd notice some serious improvement in giddyup.
And yeah, mileage in mine never goes above 11 mpg. Somewhat heavy foot here too. Can't help it, I battled for every inch in North Jersey traffic on Rt 80, Rt 46, Rt 3, Rt 78, Rt 22, Turnpike, GSP for 40 years. I calmed down since coming to NE Tennessee but it still comes out without too much provocation. I'm trying.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i dont know but,looking at your pics it looks like your coils are somewhat bowed,check the amount of tire that sticks out of the fender ,i used a five ft level to make sure your front end isnt out of adjustment.And i went with billy 5160``s dont look back,jack

Ok, I'll have to have my local tire store do that check. I wouldn't know how, nor do I probably have the equipment. But the stock 17" tires do not stick out what so ever. I do notice a slight pull or wiggle in the steering when I am making a slow extreme turn left or right. So maybe you are correct about the alignment. Thanks

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Ok, I'll have to have my local tire store do that check. I wouldn't know how, nor do I probably have the equipment. But the stock 17" tires do not stick out what so ever. I do notice a slight pull or wiggle in the steering when I am making a slow extreme turn left or right. So maybe you are correct about the alignment. Thanks
its not that the tires stick out as much as how much space holding the level against the fender at level and the space from the tire to the level