2018 Ram 2500 transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nebraska Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The transmission in my 2018 Ram 2500 had a "major internal failure" - waited almost 3 months for the dealer to get a replacement and install - another story!!~

The issue now is:

when the truck has been sitting for over an hour - you start it and immediately drop into drive the transmission slips......... RPM's rev and truck doesn't go anywhere.......after a couple minutes it is fine and operates normally.

I have taken it back 3 times for this issue:

1st time - less than a week after install of the new transmission and it was a quart and a 1/2 low on fluid

2nd time - about a week later and the dealer did a TCM reflash, there were updates??

3rd time - they checked line pressure and other components but told me it is operating under normal parameters for that transmission.​

My question is - does anyone experience the same issue with their transmission? ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you have a new transmission? If so they own it under that warranty right? Sounds like you are experiencing things abnormal, but the transmission is still relearning, which would be my guess the second visit they did a relearn on it. How many miles on new transmission? Fluid is no longer an issue? Level is good warm? what transmission is it? I would let it ride for now, you start updating the valve body they will likely deny any more warranty. What happens if you manually shift it into 1st?

OP
OP
N

Nebraska Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes new transmission - I am told it falls under the original drive train warranty which has 12,000 miles left on it. I've got around 1,700 miles on the new trans. Fluid is good.

Ill try the manual shift and see what happens.
Thanks

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The transmission in my 2018 Ram 2500 had a "major internal failure" - waited almost 3 months for the dealer to get a replacement and install - another story!!~

The issue now is:

when the truck has been sitting for over an hour - you start it and immediately drop into drive the transmission slips......... RPM's rev and truck doesn't go anywhere.......after a couple minutes it is fine and operates normally.

1st time - less than a week after install of the new transmission and it was a quart and a 1/2 low on fluid

2nd time - about a week later and the dealer did a TCM reflash, there were updates??

3rd time - they checked line pressure and other components but told me it is operating under normal parameters for that transmission.​

My question is - does anyone experience the same issue with their transmission? ?

If it’s the 66RFE or the 68RFE what you’re experiencing is normal.

Simply put - it’s torque converter drainback. An hour is enough time for fluid to run back into the trans pan out of the torque converter, which leads to no torque being put through the transmission while the torque converter refills with fluid.

3 minutes seems to be a “extended” period of time, i’ve never experienced that with my truck personally, but i don’t think it should be ruled out.

You can download an app called “OBD Jscan” on Android and get a compatible bluetooth OBDII adapter, i recommend the BAFX Bluetooth OBDII adapter. You will be able to read your CVIs and compare them to the list below.

2C Clutch Volume Index: 25 to 85
4C Clutch Volume Index: 30 to 85
LR Clutch Volume Index: 45 to 134
OD Clutch Volume Index: 30 to 100
UD Clutch Volume Index: 30 to 100

To test if it’s actually torque converter drainback, pull the transmission dipstick and mark it (this can be mentally, just remember a rough idea of where it is) after the truck has been sitting. Start the engine for a few minutes WITHOUT shifting it into gear, turn off the engine, and look at the location of the fluid. If it’s lower, than it’s drainback, and it’s normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

The issue now is:

Line pressure would be normal if it’s only TC drainback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nebraska Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A friend checked with his transmission guy and he told him it was the in line "1 way pressure valve", allows pressure to flow in but shouldn't let the pressure release while the truck is sitting for any extended period. He states he has replaced these numerous times on Rams.

anyone else heard of this?