2018 Ram 2500 vs 2019 Ram 2500 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so very close to buying a 2500 crew cab with the 6.4 Hemi ... dealer has a 2018 2500 SLT with an MSRP of about 50K and a 2019 2500 Tradesman with an MSRP of about 47K ... I can have either one for about 42K out the door. Both are black ... which one should I get and why ? Posting this on the 4th and 5th Gen Forums since it involves both. Pro's / Cons ? Thank you.

Last edited:

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with the 2019, it is all about the new 8spd transmission matched to the 6.4 Hemi.

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I was wondering how significant that 8 speed was ... sounds huge ... may sound weird but I like the way the 2018 looks better ... probably one of the biggest reasons I have been debating which one.

Any other big changes in the 2019 besides the transmission that I should consider ? Wondering if I'm rolling the dice on reliability ... seems the 2018 likely has the bugs worked out ... and wonder if in a year or two we start finding out there are issues with the 2019 ... so trying to understand how "new" the design is ... or is it mostly lipstick and style changes ... with most of the underpinnings staying the same ?

Thanks.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I replied 2019 in your other thread.

Issues wouldn't be the reason to pic a 2018 over a 2019. Issues will be truck to truck.

The 8 speed, as mentioned, puts the 6.4l where it needs to be.

There are alot of improvements in the 2019. The whole truck is new except the cab structure, doors and bedsides.

I will say this. I am disappointed the tradesman doesn't come with the front full floor console and the rear seat RamBins.

If you are stuck on the look, only you can decide that.

Drive them both and pick the truck that makes you happy, cause that is the only way to be sure.

Good luck

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You probably won’t notice too much respectfully driving an unloaded truck but put some weight in or a trailer behind it or hoon around with the go pedal down and you’ll easily see why the 8 speed is so much better than the 6.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Any other big changes in the 2019 besides the transmission that I should consider ? Wondering if I'm rolling the dice on reliability ... seems the 2018 likely has the bugs worked out ... and wonder if in a year or two we start finding out there are issues with the 2019 ... so trying to understand how "new" the design is ... or is it mostly lipstick and style changes ... with most of the underpinnings staying the same ?
Unlike the 1500s, the updates to the HD trucks were mostly all cosmetic and minor upgrades except for the transmission. The design of 8HP line of transmissions has been used for quite a while so nothing to feet about. To pick an '18 with the 6spd over a '19 with 8spd just because of the looks is slightly nuts or your don't plan on towing/hauling anything with it(why buy an HD truck then?).

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unlike the 1500s, the updates to the HD trucks were mostly all cosmetic and minor upgrades except for the transmission. The design of 8HP line of transmissions has been used for quite a while so nothing to feet about. To pick an '18 with the 6spd over a '19 with 8spd just because of the looks is slightly nuts or your don't plan on towing/hauling anything with it(why buy an HD truck then?).

This was some of the info I was driving towards ... the HD mostly saw cosmetics in the 18 to 19 facelift is what I was hoping to hear ... yeah looks alone wouldn't drive me to go one way or the other ... but if everything else was pretty close, then I would go with the one I thought looked better ... but the 8 speed transmission has pushed me to the 19' , thanks gents. Probably pop back in to this forum after I get it in the driveway and starting adding mods, lol.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. If you can, wait out another year or so.

If I I had to pull the trigger, it'd be the 5th gen tradesman. The 8spd is fantastic and you have the option to retrofit Laramie seats in the back that recline.

MedicWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
your considering two different trucks.... and you havent even driven them both yet?

Seems like that would be a good first start, unless you want to follow others.
Your opinion matters more than anything said online. Start there.