2018 Ram 4x4 diesel - "service anti-lock brake system"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAttack65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good news, ABS pump and module replaced again under warranty! Hopefully this fix will hold.

MemeZoomZoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having the same exact problem. ABS light, Traction control light, Service Anti lock Braking System coming on and now my cruise control won't work. Its been random over the past week. Seem to start after sliding on a gravel road for a second. It is staying on more and more. 2018 3500, 4WD, Dully. I am working our of town and my dealer is 85 miles away. Concerned about driving it. Also no familiar with a truck of this kind and dont know much about how they work, etc. I am only driving it right now because my car is being used by a family member and well I am a woman, so don't know that much about trucks. Can someone direct me to the fuse box spoken of in this thread?

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have fought this issue for over a month now. I've replaced both the Hydraulic Control Unit and the ABS module with new parts and nothing has solved the issue. Two different dealerships and $300 in diagnostic fees later and one says it is a bad HCU, one says it is a bad ABS module. Both are brand new. No clue where to go from here.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Similar problem on 2018 2500 gas, slip on gravel and abs service light came on. Replaced HCU and ABS module at same time, fixed it. Been about 7 months. Is it possible that, with both going wrong at same time that fixing parts at separate times causes error to persist? Such as, error comes on, fix one part, the other part still has a defect that spreads to the new part. Just wondering, maybe that could explain why you still have the code.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It could be something like that. I ordered another new ABS control module so hopefully I can get it working this time. It's very frustrating to eat the least! Glad you got your's working because me has been a pain.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I am having the same exact problem. ABS light, Traction control light, Service Anti lock Braking System coming on and now my cruise control won't work. Its been random over the past week. Seem to start after sliding on a gravel road for a second. It is staying on more and more. 2018 3500, 4WD, Dully. I am working our of town and my dealer is 85 miles away. Concerned about driving it. Also no familiar with a truck of this kind and dont know much about how they work, etc. I am only driving it right now because my car is being used by a family member and well I am a woman, so don't know that much about trucks. Can someone direct me to the fuse box spoken of in this thread?
I've had a similar problem with my Charger, turns out it was a sensor magnet that rotted away from the driver's side half shaft on the back. Had to replace the whole half shaft. There's quite a few sensors on these vehicles now, wheel speed, transmission and the like that are all apart of each one of the other systems...ABS, ESP, traction control and cruise control(which all idiot lights were on and I had no cruise control). I thought one of the wheel speed sensors went bad because that is a common issue on the Chargers, (bought all 4 wheel speed sensors) and ended up spending the cost of labor and the half shaft to get everything working again and didn't use one wheel speed sensor. I would have your garage do the diagnostic on it and see what's wrong. Quicker than trying to guess or throwing parts at t you don't need.

dually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 diesel drw that ABS and traction control lights first came on at about 20,000 miles. Took it in and they "said" they replaced hydraulic pump and who knows what else. The lights have remained off until 52,000 miles. Same symptoms as others have reported, started out flashing on intermittently until finally staying on. As similarly reported original incidence of light was when I hit some bumps during a hard rain. Looking on youtube I found one person who replaced both rear wheel sensors fixing his similar issue.
One video showed that the "tone rings" on the axle that trips the warning light when one wheel rotates slower that the others sometimes gets brake dust or dirt in the "notches" that if cleaned will fix the issue.
Seems like a LOT of RAM trucks with relatively low miles are having ABS / TRACTION CONTROL problems. I can't help but wonder how many dealerships across the country are billing the manufacturer $1,000 for hydraulic pump replacement when actually they are cleaning Tone rings or replacing sensors? If they are replacing as many hydraulic pumps as reported there certainly should be a recall. I bought a RAM 2500 and 3500 in 2018 both diesels but think it is time to rethink future buys.
Recently paid $700 for transmission fluid, filter and flush service. I was getting ready to go in a trip or would have done it myself. They quoted $1,200 for front and rear differential fluid changes. I passed.
I am 67 years old and changed both in less than 4 hours for less than $150 using Amsoil while laying in the driveway. So the dealership was set to make a
$1,000 profit for 1 hours of labor. Absolutely outrageous. No customer appreciation whatsoever.

lorenh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I traded my 2018 Ram SRW 3500 in last week. I purchased it new in May of 2019 and put 60k miles on it pretty quickly. I never had any problems with it. A week ago I came across a DRW 3500 Laramie with 9400 miles on it. Traded in my SRW for the DRW. With all of that said, I drove it home without any issues. I have now been driving it for a week and have had the intermittent "service anti-lock brake system" popping up on the dash along with the ABS and traction control light on the dash illuminated. Made an appointment at the local RAM dealer to have it diagnosed. Soonest they could look at the truck was two weeks from now. Today I took a 90 minute, all freeway drive and the "service anti-lock" flashed on the dash every two minutes along with the traction control and ABS light. At times it seemed like that were going off every 15-30 seconds. I pulled over a couple of times, turned the truck off and then back on which had zero effect. I remembered reading somewhere on this forum a few days ago (may have been this thread) that someone found all of their fuses were not seated entirely. When I arrived at my destination today, I opened the fuse box and every fuse was not seated entirely. I re-seated every fuse and then hit the road for the return drive home. During the entire drive home I did not have a single instance of the ABS, traction control, or "service anti-lock brake system" lights come on. Took it out for another short drive later in the day and again had no issues. Hopefully this has cured the issue I have been experiencing.

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Had this issue on my 2018 PowerWagon a few months ago (intermittent) then it stopped until about 3 weeks ago during a trip to OH, remained on for the 700 mile return trip until reaching NY's stop and go traffic and immediately stopped for another two weeks. Came on again yesterday as I was actually bringing it in to a dealer for the 20K check. Initial codes before more inten$ive diagno$ti$ mentioned several possibilities, all electrical but including the ABS and HCU modules. I also did find that the fuse was not seated properly but that fix only lasted 24 hours. Not sure if it's related but during the long trip back from OH there was a point where all my dash lights began to flicker and go out briefly, I made the next highway service area, fueled up and restarted without any further issues except the ABS/traction control warnings. Still waiting to hear from the dealer expecting the worst; my local dealer (purchased the truck 200 miles away at another dealer who had one on the lot) had never seen a PowerWagon before I brought mine in for an oil change and general inspection/service! I will update the thread when I get the expected bad/expensive news from the dealer service shop.

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Update! Dealership telling me it needs the module and control unit with one of the two on back order (guess they go through a lot of them). Parts alone nearly $1000, about what I've seen in the forums but another $1000 and change for labor! This is on a truck that just broke 20k in mileage. Anybody know if the labor costs are really in the ball park?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Update! Dealership telling me it needs the module and control unit with one of the two on back order (guess they go through a lot of them). Parts alone nearly $1000, about what I've seen in the forums but another $1000 and change for labor! This is on a truck that just broke 20k in mileage. Anybody know if the labor costs are really in the ball park?
Rates very between $150 an $200 hr plus shop supplies..

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
I have a relatively new 2018 Ram 3500 4x4 with a 6.7l diesel. This morning while driving the truck went over a bridge expander bump and now I am getting two errors: 1) Service anti-lock braking system with the ABS light on; 2) Service electronic brake system with the traction control light lit. The lights and notice come on then go off for a few minutes then back on again. I am traveling away from home for Thanksgiving so I am hoping I can drive this home (about 8 hours away). The truck seems to be running and braking ok. Any guidance or advise until I can get to a dealer? I have 7,000 miles on it.

This is very reminiscent of another issue I had when I went over some pot holes and the "service the 4 wheel drive system" light came on. I restarted the truck and the light went out and did not come back on.

I appreciate any comments on the problems above.
Well, I just got my truck diagnosis back from Midas (RAM dealer said could schedule us in until Aug 24th just for an OBD scan). Midas confirmed my suspicions, the ABS module and pump are going out. I'm sure everyone has seen the service anti lock system and service electronic braking system plus a ding ding ding in your rig. It might be working "right now", but it will go out and I don't want to be on the road when it does. So I filed my complaint the NHTSA (national highway traffic safety assoc). Midas wanted to charge premium prices for the parts and with labor it would be $1800. Who else has replaced it. It looks like the toughest part is getting the wheel liner out, then you have to be a contortionist to get the fricken parts out. Any help is appreciated.

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
I think this is becoming very common. File the complaint with NHTSA. Save your receipt. My truck is 4 years old with now 31K and I have the same issues.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
I feel your pain and frustration, going through this for the second time now. Had the same exact issue 25 months ago. They give you a 24 month warranty on repair & replacement part, mine died again right after the warranty was up. This part is grounds for a class action lawsuit and my dealer can’t order it until after 12/31/22. I was lucky and found the part at a different dealer and will have it installed on Monday. Luckily I found the part locally for $320 instead of list $580, after I pay for the install this is a $700 headache I did not need. Good luck!

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Now my 2018 2500 6.4 w/44k miles is getting the ABS and traction control lights, on and off repeatedly. As well, my 8.4 system is delaminated, it's about an inch wide across the top so far. Thankfully, I had the foresight to buy the lifetime maxcare, so I should only be on the hook for the $100 deductible, if that. They should be replacing/repairing these at no cost, given the fact that both of these issues are widespread on the 2018 trucks.
@RamCares I will PM you to please open a case for me.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Now my 2018 2500 6.4 w/44k miles is getting the ABS and traction control lights, on and off repeatedly. As well, my 8.4 system is delaminated, it's about an inch wide across the top so far. Thankfully, I had the foresight to buy the lifetime maxcare, so I should only be on the hook for the $100 deductible, if that. They should be replacing/repairing these at no cost, given the fact that both of these issues are widespread on the 2018 trucks.
@RamCares I will PM you to please open a case for me.
Hey,

We appreciate being tagged! Thank you. Please do send us a direct message so that we can look into this together.

Callie
Ram Cares

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Hey,

We appreciate being tagged! Thank you. Please do send us a direct message so that we can look into this together.

Callie
Ram Cares
Thank you, Callie, I already sent a PM.

jeopardy954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
New owner/member, just purchased a 2018, second drive after driving home from Carmax, got the same 'service ABS soon' warning. Planning to make an appointment at the local dealership, got the Maxcare so I'd like to just get it taken care of ASAP on their nickel.

@RamCares I see you're in Michigan, do you have any contacts in the Ft. Lauderdale area that you would refer me to? Rod Lambdin University Dodge is the closest to my house. Thanks!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
New owner/member, just purchased a 2018, second drive after driving home from Carmax, got the same 'service ABS soon' warning. Planning to make an appointment at the local dealership, got the Maxcare so I'd like to just get it taken care of ASAP on their nickel.

@RamCares I see you're in Michigan, do you have any contacts in the Ft. Lauderdale area that you would refer me to? Rod Lambdin University Dodge is the closest to my house. Thanks!
Hey there!

If you'd like some assistance with this, please send us a direct message! We can connect you with a case manager who will assist you while your vehicle is being repaired.

Callie
Ram Cares

Samntx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
Might as well add another one to the pile. This happened on my 2017 3500 back when it only had 29k miles and it was fixed under warranty. I just found the documentation from that repair. Now I'm out of warranty and it happened again. My mechanic gave me a quote to fix it and is more than capable, but can't obtain the parts anywhere. I've been scouring the internet as well... but haven't had any luck.

I completely love this truck and ordered it with a manual transmission. Can't buy new ones like it anymore so I'd really like to keep it forever.

Like most others we have to keep driving them until the parts become available... just wondering how many lawsuits this will create if people get involved in accidents and the vehicles are found to have faulty abs systems.