2018 Ram Loose Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram567

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, New to the site and hope I posted this in the correct place? I have a 2018 RAM 1500. Since day one the steering has been much looser than past RAM's that I've owned. There is little resistance kind of floaty and looses resistance when I hit bumps. The truck is not lifted and the alignment is perfect. Is there anything I can do to correct this or get it corrected?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How many miles on your truck? 1st thing is jack each front wheel up & check for any play in steering & suspension. Grab each wheel at 9 & 3 o'clock and "shake" then grab at 12 & 6 o'clock and do the same. There shouldn't be any play.

OP
OP
R

ram567

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll give that a try but there's only 42,000 on the vehicle.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you buy the truck new and can be certain its bone stock or was it used?
i seen a 1500 going on the highway yesterday and it looked like a pogo stick in the front when they hit dips because it appeared they had some mickey mouse leveling stuff on it

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2018 RAM 1500. Since day one the steering has been much looser than past RAM's that I've owned. There is little resistance kind of floaty and looses resistance when I hit bumps.
Were your previous Ram prior to '13? That was the first model year for the electric power steering.
Does the truck go down the road straight without holding onto the wheel? Unless there is a significant crown on the road I can travel for miles with little to no steering correction and for a being 4X4 the steering is what some would say is light.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm pretty sure hitting bumps while moving straight has nothing to do with steering, so likely steering isn't the issue. I'd look at firm options up front, poly bushings everywhere there is rubber, firmer shocks, anything else you can do like larger suspension pieces where avail. Either that or you have two things going on, gushy suspension plus a steering issue.