2018 Ram Sport bought used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttflowers33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8 V8
I came across a post regarding the continuous reboot of the radio in the Ram 1500. So I joined this forum for ANY help. My husband and I recently bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Sport, certified pre-owned. The day we bought it we test drove it 3 times everything was great, carfax was good. My husband has NEVER made such a huge purchase like this before, and while this truck is used it’s as close to The Dream as we could get. Our biggest reason for choosing this specific truck was the 3.92 axle ratio, we have a camper trailer and while it only weighs about 5000 pounds we would like to upgrade in a couple years so this truck would cover the weight if we went bigger, possible 7500 pound trailer. My husband was nervous because it’s a huge cost for a used truck (32,000 miles +or-), but the dealership is great and made us feel really good about the purchase. Here’s the problem we live almost 2 hours from the used car dealer, we went to them because they specialize in used trucks and are highly recommended. While driving home, with my super happy husband following in his ‘New’ truck, he calls me roughly and hour and 15 minutes into the ride and states the radio has turned itself on and off 5 times already.

At this point the dealership was closed, we knew that because we were there until an hour after closing and when we left they were pretty much just waiting to wave goodbye to us. Once we were home it was late and dark so my husband figured he’d look into it more the next day. As it turns out he took the car to work and it continued to shut down and reboot the whole trip to and from work. He went back to the dealership the next day after we called and explained the problem. They worked on the truck for about 2 hours updating the radio, downloading and whatever else. At that point it was late so my husband came home, with their good intention they would call with a solution.

The next day he decided we would go back to car pooling to work as he just didn’t want to drive the truck. The next morning was a Saturday he went out to start the truck and the battery was dead. Apparently the radio was now continuing to reboot over and over while the truck was off. At this point I called the dealer he stated to replace the battery and they would reimburse us. Next was to bring it back for them to check it out again. However I was diagnosed with Covid (comes with being a nurse) and well it’s 5 hours out of our lives to go there and back. They agreed we would take it to a local dealer and have them do a diagnostic and again they would reimburse us. We did this and they told my husband he needs a whole new radio, and of course explained the cost. We explained we just needed the diagnostic for the dealer we bought it from. At this point yesterday we bring the truck home, he meant to disconnect new battery but forgot and this morning it was drained. Sooooo now he just wants to return the truck, but I know he loves it and frankly deserves a really nice truck!

My question, that this incredibly long story has lead to is- is the solution to fix the truck as simple as replacing the radio? Is it worth it to do so, in the sense that it’s an issue these trucks have had and this is the absolute fix? If so whom should it be ordered from? The dealer stated they want to fix this and I believe they do, because they’ve returned all our calls and want us to bring them the truck so they can fix it. My husband is just afraid that they will just band aide it and in 2 months it will break down. Plus the drive there is harsh and they do not have loaner cars so if it has to stay (which I hope not because our local dealer said the job only takes about 1-1.5hours) we are down to one car and would have to rent something for as long as they have it as I’m back in school after work each night (nursing education never ends). So any advice you could give would be fantastic and so sorry for the long post, I really just want the truck fixed because we love it and well my brother has a 2004 Ram 1500 (that year offered a lifetime warranty he’s never selling it) and my last car I bought was in 2008 and it drove its last mile this past June. So we like to maintain and keep our vehicles, so I know that if it’s just the radio and it can be fixed, this truck will have a good long life with our family. Now they him drop it off so they could send out and when ready he can pick up. We can’t be without car that’s why we bought it that night. He feel they will mess it up then 30 will have gone by and he can’t do anything, we bought it 10 days ago.

Thank you for any help and taking the time to read this!!
Teresa

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I came across a post regarding the continuous reboot of the radio in the Ram 1500. So I joined this forum for ANY help. My husband and I recently bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Sport, certified pre-owned. The day we bought it we test drove it 3 times everything was great, carfax was good. My husband has NEVER made such a huge purchase like this before, and while this truck is used it’s as close to The Dream as we could get. Our biggest reason for choosing this specific truck was the 3.92 axle ratio, we have a camper trailer and while it only weighs about 5000 pounds we would like to upgrade in a couple years so this truck would cover the weight if we went bigger, possible 7500 pound trailer. My husband was nervous because it’s a huge cost for a used truck (32,000 miles +or-), but the dealership is great and made us feel really good about the purchase. Here’s the problem we live almost 2 hours from the used car dealer, we went to them because they specialize in used trucks and are highly recommended. While driving home, with my super happy husband following in his ‘New’ truck, he calls me roughly and hour and 15 minutes into the ride and states the radio has turned itself on and off 5 times already.

At this point the dealership was closed, we knew that because we were there until an hour after closing and when we left they were pretty much just waiting to wave goodbye to us. Once we were home it was late and dark so my husband figured he’d look into it more the next day. As it turns out he took the car to work and it continued to shut down and reboot the whole trip to and from work. He went back to the dealership the next day after we called and explained the problem. They worked on the truck for about 2 hours updating the radio, downloading and whatever else. At that point it was late so my husband came home, with their good intention they would call with a solution.

The next day he decided we would go back to car pooling to work as he just didn’t want to drive the truck. The next morning was a Saturday he went out to start the truck and the battery was dead. Apparently the radio was now continuing to reboot over and over while the truck was off. At this point I called the dealer he stated to replace the battery and they would reimburse us. Next was to bring it back for them to check it out again. However I was diagnosed with Covid (comes with being a nurse) and well it’s 5 hours out of our lives to go there and back. They agreed we would take it to a local dealer and have them do a diagnostic and again they would reimburse us. We did this and they told my husband he needs a whole new radio, and of course explained the cost. We explained we just needed the diagnostic for the dealer we bought it from. At this point yesterday we bring the truck home, he meant to disconnect new battery but forgot and this morning it was drained. Sooooo now he just wants to return the truck, but I know he loves it and frankly deserves a really nice truck!

My question, that this incredibly long story has lead to is- is the solution to fix the truck as simple as replacing the radio? Is it worth it to do so, in the sense that it’s an issue these trucks have had and this is the absolute fix? If so whom should it be ordered from? The dealer stated they want to fix this and I believe they do, because they’ve returned all our calls and want us to bring them the truck so they can fix it. My husband is just afraid that they will just band aide it and in 2 months it will break down. Plus the drive there is harsh and they do not have loaner cars so if it has to stay (which I hope not because our local dealer said the job only takes about 1-1.5hours) we are down to one car and would have to rent something for as long as they have it as I’m back in school after work each night (nursing education never ends). So any advice you could give would be fantastic and so sorry for the long post, I really just want the truck fixed because we love it and well my brother has a 2004 Ram 1500 (that year offered a lifetime warranty he’s never selling it) and my last car I bought was in 2008 and it drove its last mile this past June. So we like to maintain and keep our vehicles, so I know that if it’s just the radio and it can be fixed, this truck will have a good long life with our family. Now they him drop it off so they could send out and when ready he can pick up. We can’t be without car that’s why we bought it that night. He feel they will mess it up then 30 will have gone by and he can’t do anything, we bought it 10 days ago.

Thank you for any help and taking the time to read this!!
Teresa
A free test would be to remove the radio fuse in the engine bay (an inline fuse between the battery and break booster) and see if your battery stops dying.

My guess is a new radio will fix it and with your year you want it replaced now due to other issues with the 2018 factory radios (screen delamination and ghost touches).

I would be very interested to know how this story concludes...

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel for you - and I second the opinion that a new radio will likely fix the problem.

My radio did almost exactly the same thing when my truck was at about 35K miles - just barely inside the 36K/3Yr factory warranty. My story was very similar to yours - radio was continually rebooting unsuccessfully, and it drained the battery. (I had to learn where the in-line fuse is located: under the hood near the brake booster.)

My dealer service is very good, and they replaced the radio head unit under warranty. The service writer remarked that they have never been able to "reset" a head unit with this problem, and they've only fixed the issue by radio replacement. Since the backup camera and HVAC controls need the radio interface to work properly, fixing seemed pretty necessary to me. Hope you can get it fixed and you and your husband can enjoy the truck.

P.S. I now have 58K miles, and the radio has been fine - no repeats.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First, do you know when the truck was originally purchased? If it is under 3 years, you are still in the 3/36 warranty period and it would be covered.

I agree, pull the fuse and see if all of the problems go away - other than the radio of course.

If they do, then a radio replacement is what you need - not a hard job.

Since it is a CPO (certified Pre-owned), they come with a decent powertrain warranty. But you could buy an extended Mopar warranty to cover electronics and other costs if you wanted. Since it is a CPO, the extended Mopar warranty would start from the day it was bought new and 0 miles if I am not mistaken. They are much less expensive if you buy online through a few select places.

ARKLima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have just ran into the same issues with my radio and doing updates. When the battery dies you do not need to replace it, just simply jump start the battery and drive around for about 30 min to let the battery charge sufficiently. I have tried a ton of different ways to complete the update (UConnect update 18.45.01, different flash drives, taking the dash and head unit apart and pushing on the wireless card, taking out the in-line fuse for the radio and restarting the update, etc…) well it has all come down to the radio not getting past any updates and it was pretty much a paper weight. I got a hold of Infotainment.com and I paid the $299.99 for them to repair and update the head unit. The dealership would have just charged me for the full replacement ($1600.00) which wasn’t going to happen. I have not received my head unit back but I am crossing my fingers that it comes back working properly. That may be the road you would have to go down unless you go with an aftermarket stereo but you may lose some setting and functionality that the UConnect/infotainment system has. I’ll let you know if it gets fixed, good luck to you!