2018 with UConnect 8.4 Screen delaminating.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mastry0614

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well here we go. I own a 2018 Ram Rebel. The vehicle has 37000 miles on it. I also have the Mopar VPP MAXIMUM CARE protection plan. Two days ago, I was driving the vehicle . I noticed that the Uconnect system was asking me if I wanted to update the clock settings. I thought this was kind of weird. I clicked " NO". The message continuously kept popping up on the screen and the clock was flashing blue as if I was pushing it . From reading other threads this appears to be whats called "ghosting". I also noticed that around the top end of the screen it appears the 2 screens are delaminating . I have contacted the dealership without much help. I contacted the extended warranty company again without much help. I noticed if I put a small piece of cardboard between the top edge of the screen and the screen housing it stops flashing the message and appears to work fine. This would make sense if the screens are in fact comping apart m the cardboard is keeping the screens together. According to the dealership this radio needs to be replaced, with a minimum price tag of $ 850 plus labor, but they are on backorder. According to threads I have seen some people have replaced the screen with an aftermarket screen from CHIIIINNNAAA. what screen ? where to buy? price? What have people with similar problems done ? I am asking for any help with options. @RamCares
I had the same thing happen to my 2018 Big Horn. I did the whole process of replacing what is called the "Digitizer". Essentially this is how the screens were made; there is the "digitizer" which recognizes your touch on the screen and where it is at. Behind that there is a layer of glue which connects the "digitizer" to the LCD screen (which displays your image). I took my radio completely apart and took the screen apart between the "digitizer" and the LCD screen. There are a couple videos on how to do it. The hardest and most time consuming part was removing what glue LG uses on their screens. The videos below help, especially the one labeled "digitizer replacement". I also provided the new screen from ebay. This one is from a guy in California.
The final thing that could be done is sending it to a company in Florida called "Infotainment". They will take your radio if you send it to them, update it and replace the screen and send it back to you. The only thing you have to worry about is the radio possibly delaminating again.

GREAT VIDEO ON SCREEN REPLACEMENT

DIGITIZER REPLACEMENT ---- WATCH TILL THE END
MAKE SURE TO WATCH THE WHOLE VIDEO!!!

GLUE REMOVAL

INFOTAINMENT

NEW SCREEN

aeh8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Powertech V8
I’m also having this same problem on my 2018 Sport. When I bought the truck, it was out of warranty so I paid for an extended warranty through a company called Zurich. When the screen problem started happening, I contacted Zurich and they told me as long as it was affecting the operation of the vehicle, they would cover it. I just had to get a dealer to check it out and submit the claim. The dealer took one look at it, said there was no issues with the Uconnect screens and accused me of breaking the screen. They passed that info on to the warranty company and now they won’t cover it. Mine has gotten to the point where the radio shuts itself off and reboots. @RamCares I could really use some help.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Post a picture of it if you can ...but what I did was grabbed some tint film that I use for tail lights and headlights and I cut it to size and put it over the actual screen ... that solved every problem plus it looks better than what it used to ...
So you peeled the rest of the screen off and then put tint film on it? There was no residue to deal with?

MoparAlum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 1500 Big Horn with 84,000 miles was having all of the standard delamination issues. Dealer quoted me $1,100 to replace with a remanufactured unit. Contacted the FCA (Stellantis) 800# and started a case. The local service rep initially declined any goodwill because the dealer (erroneously) wrote on the work order that is was NOT delamination. Once I had the service manager take pictures of the delam and send to the 800# call center, they agreed to pay the entire amount (via a refund because I had already paid).

This is a KNOWN ISSUE. Contact the 800#, get pictures of the delam on the screen. And do not take no for an answer. You won't get a brand new radio, but you can get a factory reman. So far, mine has worked flawlessly.

thestuntboy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 2500/2001 2500/2018 3500
Engine
8.0/5.9 gas/6.4
I took mine in last week for oil change/brake issue and delamination. The dealer ordered a radio and replaced it a few days ago. When they were done the service writer told me that when they input the serial # Chrysler immediately contacted them and told them they couldn't use that one and would send a replacement unit. I looked at him and said they know there is an issue right ? "Yes", and they have specific radios to use. So sometime next week they will pick up the truck, do the work and return it to me. Since I paid the deductible for the hung caliper I won't pay a dime for the radio (8.4 Nav 2018 3500 Big Horn)

Saltidog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 1500 Big Horn with 84,000 miles was having all of the standard delamination issues. Dealer quoted me $1,100 to replace with a remanufactured unit. Contacted the FCA (Stellantis) 800# and started a case. The local service rep initially declined any goodwill because the dealer (erroneously) wrote on the work order that is was NOT delamination. Once I had the service manager take pictures of the delam and send to the 800# call center, they agreed to pay the entire amount (via a refund because I had already paid).

This is a KNOWN ISSUE. Contact the 800#, get pictures of the delam on the screen. And do not take no for an answer. You won't get a brand new radio, but you can get a factory reman. So far, mine has worked flawlessly.
I have the same problem on my 2018 Ram. I called the dealer who recommended that I call Chrysler. I started a case with Chrysler but before it can proceed I need to get a "diagnostic" from a dealer. I just spoke with the dealer again and the diagnostic is $279. Do you know if the diagnostic cost was also refunded?

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn't charged a diagnostic fee. The diagnosis is as easy as looking at the radio. I'd check with another dealership (even if I had to drive an hour or less).

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a 2018 radio in my 2014 to gain Android Auto. After a few months my screen started doing ghost touches. I bought the cheap replacement digitizer and thought piece of cake. Getting all that adhesive off the old LCD was a huge pain in the butt. That's the stickiest crap I've ever had to deal with. I'll never do one again. In fact I'm going back to the 2014 radio because ever since installing the 2018 radio I've had some random parasitic draw killing my batteries. (Truck will sit for weeks at a time sometimes).

I did notice a few times I'd walk past my truck long after I parked it and the radio splash screen would appear + cluster would wake up then go back to sleep.

Going back to the RA4 style like it originally had.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Update. RamCares told me they wont cover it as the 3YR36K is expired. Quite disappointed. Probably going to deal with it for the time being while I try to figure out what replacement screen I need. I'm not paying $1200 for the same thing for this to happen again in 3 years.
The odds of this problem happening again in three years are likely very slim. There were apparently numerous of these heads that have failed, mostly from MY 2018 when they changed them. My 2017 never had this problem, but my wife's 2018 did, and it was replaced for $100 under her vehicle's MaxCare extended warranty.