2019 1500 UC8.4 non-Nav SiriusXM + dealer issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giantsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi all,
I bought a 2019 Big Horn in Sept from Carmax (I know... I know). It has actually been pretty good save for the other day when the satellite signal went out suddenly while driving, and has been displaying the dreaded "Acquiring Signal" message since. Tried the usual reset, resend signal, yadda yadda. SXM blamed hardware so I took it back to Carmax who gives me a 90 day warranty. As expected they said they hooked up their "scan tool" and received no fault codes from the radio or the antenna. Being a former auto tech and current IT guy, I was a little skeptical their tools get so granular, but I didn't press it. I called RamCares and they pointed me to a dealer portal update which I mailed to Carmax. Carmax called the local RAM dealer and confirmed it needed an update, but that they wouldn't do it and pointed me to the Uconnect site, which of course we know how helpful the VIN lookup tool is. They also gave me a TSB which requires DealerCONNECT access, which I do not have.

I am skeptical that a software update can fix this in the first place, but need to do it to get to the next step. I can see this turning into a three-party cluster in short order.

Questions:
- How can I get into dealer mode or check firmware version on a non-Nav UC4 unit? Every set of steps I have tried (two fingers, hold down buttons, etc) has had zero effect
- How can I find the three digit code (ie UAM, UMM) for this unit?
- Does anyone have a link to the latest version of UC firmware for non-NAV? (I have seen the threads for Nav)
- If as expected the firmware update does not bring back SiriusXM, what is the next logical step? Is this problem normally due to head unit, or the antenna (hoping not the antenna as it appears to be a leak hot spot and I'd prefer to leave well enough alone)

The only mods I've done to it since I bought it were to install a tonneau cover (Bak Revolver) and side steps. I did break off a step bracket stud and had to drill out and re-tap the stud to take a bolt, but I am guessing the antenna wiring does not pass anywhere close to the rockers.

Thanks for any advice!

OP
OP
G

giantsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Today's update - spoke to a nice RamCares rep who walked me through multiple steps to get my radio firmware version (ie Dealer Mode) all of which failed. I was told I have to bring it into the dealership and I am now waiting a call back from them to confirm what I already know, that they'll want to charge me to do the update. We'll see how long I'm in the blame loop before someone breaks. I am happy to do the update myself, I just need to know where to find it. VERY frustrating.

By my reckoning, Carmax sold me a vehicle which has a radio problem. If they think the fix is a firmware update and they cannot do it, they should arrange a dealership appt and cover the cost to get it fixed, if there is one. Sorry I know this is not the Carmax venting forum, just thinking out loud :D

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You wrote that someone with DealerConnect Access, needs to do something

Very few people at the Dodge dealership have that access
I know that in the Sales Department, the Sales Manager & the Assistant Sales Manager, have it & possibly 1 or 2 Senior Sales Staff may have it.

In the Service Department, it is likely the same way

DealerConnect access is Direct Access to Auburn Hills, Michigan which is Headquarters

Chrysler World Headquarters and Technology Center​

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Chrysler_World_Head...

auburn hills chrysler from en.wikipedia.org
The 504-acre complex is located next to Interstate 75 in Auburn Hills, Michigan,

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today's update - spoke to a nice RamCares rep who walked me through multiple steps to get my radio firmware version (ie Dealer Mode) all of which failed. I was told I have to bring it into the dealership and I am now waiting a call back from them to confirm what I already know, that they'll want to charge me to do the update. We'll see how long I'm in the blame loop before someone breaks. I am happy to do the update myself, I just need to know where to find it. VERY frustrating.

By my reckoning, Carmax sold me a vehicle which has a radio problem. If they think the fix is a firmware update and they cannot do it, they should arrange a dealership appt and cover the cost to get it fixed, if there is one. Sorry I know this is not the Carmax venting forum, just thinking out loud :D
FWIW< I have a 2019 DT truck with 8.4 screen, U Connect 4 plain jane (non NAV, 911 or ne thing). My IOS is way out of date, but the only way I can get updated is for the dealer to do, since the radio does not receive, or do ne OTA;s. When I talked to my SA, he said: UNLESS U have to, leave the Original IOS on the radio, as the Update had been bricking radios (now this was like 2 years ago).

U Connect site shows my IOS on my Non Nav radio as up to date, which I know is not true, but since my RADIO works as intended and I do all my stuff on Phone, I know betta then to touch ne thing on the radio (ie., like IOS). ALSO< all the different methods to get your radio into Dealer/Engineer mode has neva worked for me, it seems the plain jane U Con 4 radios were not programmed to allow this, requiring a Dealer Connect only.

Not mean to be the bearer of bad new, but all ABOVE is my personal experience on all this.

Good luck on getting Carmax to do ne of that.

ADDED: U could try a full cold start, where you pull battery cables and let sit, to reset all the electronics, and also hold cables together to discharge all systems, BUT do this at your own risk. I am not a real proponent of this. OTHER PPL have done that and they would need to CHIME in on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

giantsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You wrote that someone with DealerConnect Access, needs to do something

Very few people at the Dodge dealership have that access
I know that in the Sales Department, the Sales Manager & the Assistant Sales Manager, have it & possibly 1 or 2 Senior Sales Staff may have it.

In the Service Department, it is likely the same way

DealerConnect access is Direct Access to Auburn Hills, Michigan which is Headquarters

Chrysler World Headquarters and Technology Center

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Chrysler_World_Head...

View attachment 506078
The 504-acre complex is located next to Interstate 75 in Auburn Hills, Michigan,
I believe you but only relaying what I've been given. I am not new to CJDR (also have a Durango) but new to needing the dealer for a firmware update. There is a link to the TSB on this page, perhaps Service Depts just get updates via a portal and it's all part of the DC system? Either way, sweet HQ :D

OP
OP
G

giantsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FWIW< I have a 2019 DT truck with 8.4 screen, U Connect 4 plain jane (non NAV, 911 or ne thing). My IOS is way out of date, but the only way I can get updated is for the dealer to do, since the radio does not receive, or do ne OTA;s. When I talked to my SA, he said: UNLESS U have to, leave the Original IOS on the radio, as the Update had been bricking radios (now this was like 2 years ago).

U Connect site shows my IOS on my Non Nav radio as up to date, which I know is not true, but since my RADIO works as intended and I do all my stuff on Phone, I know betta then to touch ne thing on the radio (ie., like IOS). ALSO< all the different methods to get your radio into Dealer/Engineer mode has neva worked for me, it seems the plain jane U Con 4 radios were not programmed to allow this, requiring a Dealer Connect only.

Not mean to be the bearer of bad new, but all ABOVE is my personal experience on all this.

Good luck on getting Carmax to do ne of that.

ADDED: U could try a full cold start, where you pull battery cables and let sit, to reset all the electronics, and also hold cables together to discharge all systems, BUT do this at your own risk. I am not a real proponent of this. OTHER PPL have done that and they would need to CHIME in on it.
Thanks.. I have since seen similar stories w/ this vanilla radio. The RamCares rep that I spoke to today mentioned that if the radio NEVER received an update, it may not be able to get into dealer mode w/o special interfaces. This might be true, or it might be part of the script. Amazingly though, Carmax came through w/ an offer to reimburse me to take it to the local dealer to have it flashed. As an IT/tech guy, I also have a strong desire never to update something that is working, so I am torn as to whether or not to go through with it. If they are fronting the bill for the troubleshooting, maybe the techs can trace the problem to something else. I have also hesitated from disconnecting the battery cables for the same reason... SO much can go wrong now :D

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I may not have done something correctly with my 2016 Ram
RA4 8.4 AN radio

I tried to update my radio with a USB Thumb drive
the info came from

i could not update the needed 2 files

I ended up paying the dealership to do it

OP
OP
G

giantsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So just an update for anyone caring now or searching later. Carmax covered the trip to the dealer. The dealer applied the firmware update BUT it did not correct the "Acquiring Signal" condition. They tested the head unit with an external antenna and traced the problem back to the head unit (vs the antenna... thank goodness because that is a primo leak spot). Carmax reviewing next steps now, but worst case a radio exchange is only 400 bucks, which seems pretty reasonable.

Of further interest though, CONFIRMED that flashing the new firmware on the UAM radio enables the ability to get into Dealer Mode by holding on the lower two corners. So if there are any Uconnect owners w/ UAM that can't get into dealer mode, look into getting your unit flashed.