2019 2500 6.4L engine blown up at 95K miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
Not like the Mopar Lifetime Warranty is any better.

I have a '16, sold as a work truck. The dealer orders them as work trucks. 36K and it blew.

Mopar won't cover it because it's a commercial vehicle.

What a load of horse$hit.

Dealer was bought by another dealer and they won't stand behind it.

Never should have bought the POS in the first place. I have 3 with Cummins and love them. Hate the 6.4. Hate it even more now.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey Sam, I bought it from Hendrick in Cary. The work is being done at Performance Ram in Clinton. I kind of didn't have a choice since it blew up 10 miles down the road from them. I felt kind of lucky in that regard... Just curious, why did you trade it with only 32K miles?
Sorry so late on this. I don't do push notifications. I just traded for business tax reasons. Had no problems motor wise. Truck was really good. Just like you cruise set at 70 to Raleigh and back. Traded for a 2500 Silverado at Jeff Gordon in Wilmington. It was the only gas 2500 I could find from any company. Ram just had Diesels.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not like the Mopar Lifetime Warranty is any better.

I have a '16, sold as a work truck. The dealer orders them as work trucks. 36K and it blew.

Mopar won't cover it because it's a commercial vehicle.

What a load of horse$hit.

Dealer was bought by another dealer and they won't stand behind it.

Never should have bought the POS in the first place. I have 3 with Cummins and love them. Hate the 6.4. Hate it even more now.

The Lifetime Maxxcare treated me well. Paid for parking sensors, a new trans oil pan because it was rusty and weeping around the gasket, and took care of the MAP sensor.

It says right in the paperwork when you buy it (at least the forms I filled out did) that if the vehicle is used for commercial purposes, the extended warranty is null and void.

Many people buy work trucks and use them as personal vehicles because it works for them. And the lifetime warranty applies. But when it says in the paperwork that it doesn't cover commercial use...well...lesson learned I guess? Not saying it's right of them to make a distinction, but they do and it wouldn't be there if it wasn't legal.

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If you want reliability get a Toyota buddy...

And then go sit in one. Like night and freaking day man.

I switched because the comfort and literally everything else about RAM is better - especially in a truck

but I'll admit my other vehicle is a Toyota TRD pro sequoia ;) lol

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
99.99% of the time a failed lifter wipes out the corresponding cam lobe. It's almost always the needle bearings in the cam follower that fail. The roller collapses and seizes, or the shoulders supporting the roller come in contact with the cam lobe. Then you have to worry about metal debris having worked its way in to the rest of the rotating assembly. Since the cam is lubricated via sling by the crank, so any debris from the failed lifter/cam is literally landing back on the crank. Catching it early, and doing a thorough flush of the oiling system, helps.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
99.99% of the time a failed lifter wipes out the corresponding cam lobe. It's almost always the needle bearings in the cam follower that fail. The roller collapses and seizes, or the shoulders supporting the roller come in contact with the cam lobe. Then you have to worry about metal debris having worked its way in to the rest of the rotating assembly. Since the cam is lubricated via sling by the crank, so any debris from the failed lifter/cam is literally landing back on the crank. Catching it early, and doing a thorough flush of the oiling system, helps.
Not sure it was the roller, truck only has 10K miles on it with 37 idle hours and 330 driving hours. It also did not make noise at operating temp and when driving, only idle and under operating temp. They made it sound like it was a collapsed lifter. Like I said once They are done and finish testing they will let me know what it all was.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Well I got a email from the adviser the cam and lifters are being replaced. They have the parts but I probably wont get the truck back till next week.

Does anyone know if you have to redo the break in period? I missed 1 camping trip already and I am scheduled to leave next thursday for the rescheduled date, but if I have to do break in again then I wont have time. This really sucks as its looking like I am going to miss all aug for camping due to this truck being broken down. My wife and I are thinking about dumping it and getting a diesel 2500 as it seems the 6.4 is just too weak to pull a 8000 lb trailer and survive.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Well I got a email from the adviser the cam and lifters are being replaced. They have the parts but I probably wont get the truck back till next week.

Does anyone know if you have to redo the break in period? I missed 1 camping trip already and I am scheduled to leave next thursday for the rescheduled date, but if I have to do break in again then I wont have time. This really sucks as its looking like I am going to miss all aug for camping due to this truck being broken down. My wife and I are thinking about dumping it and getting a diesel 2500 as it seems the 6.4 is just too weak to pull a 8000 lb trailer and survive.

The dealer should perform a cam and lifter break in procedure when they replace those items. Usually consists of using a additive to the oil, running the engine at 2000 rpm for 20-30 minutes, then changing the oil. I'd verify they are doing that. That's the only break in needed for a new cam and lifters.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Just sucks, a $70K truck should not need engine repair at 10K miles. I would understand if I rode it hard and never change the oil but I dont run it hard and the oil been changed every 5K miles at the dealer. Even when I tow my camper I dont push it hard. I dont understand, I had 2 1500 (2004 and 2018) with the 5.7 hemi and towed a RV way more and never had a engine issue. Only reason I got the 2500 because this trailers tongue weight is 1100 lb and I was over payload on my 2018 1500. My 2018 with 3.21 gears pulled the trailer over 2000 miles and never had any engine issues.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just sucks, a $70K truck should not need engine repair at 10K miles. I would understand if I rode it hard and never change the oil but I dont run it hard and the oil been changed every 5K miles at the dealer. Even when I tow my camper I dont push it hard. I dont understand, I had 2 1500 (2004 and 2018) with the 5.7 hemi and towed a RV way more and never had a engine issue. Only reason I got the 2500 because this trailers tongue weight is 1100 lb and I was over payload on my 2018 1500. My 2018 with 3.21 gears pulled the trailer over 2000 miles and never had any engine issues.

The lifters in both 5.7 and 6.4 hemis have slightly above average failure rates. Poor quality by the vendor who builds them. Since there are 16 of these little goodies in every engine, thats a lot of chances to get a bad one.

At the risk of offending one of our sensitive mods: If you were over your payload in your 1500, then you made the right call to get a 2500. Your engine issues is not related to 1500 vs 2500, both trucks will experience the same lifter issues. You just happened to get the short straw this time around, unfortunately.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Why are lifters all of a sudden such a prevalent issue? It it completely isolated to MDS engines? The hydraulic roller lifter is caveman tech. I hear ford 7.3 is having issues as well, and that's just a plain ol hydraulic roller pushrod engine.

Why are lifter failures a thing in 2023???

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why are lifters all of a sudden such a prevalent issue?
It's not. It's been a significant issue since 2009 in the hemis, though it appears the worst years for this issue is behind us.

It it completely isolated to MDS engines?
It's completely unrelated to MDS, hemis without MDS still experience failures.

The hydraulic roller lifter is caveman tech. I hear ford 7.3 is having issues as well, and that's just a plain ol hydraulic roller pushrod engine.
Ford's issue is an improperly hardened camshaft. With the hemi it's the lifter that fails first which then sometimes also takes out the cam.

Why are lifter failures a thing in 2023???
Money, cost saving, outsourcing, etc etc.

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
fun read, this thread... engine seizes at 95k miles (WELL out of factory warranty), the day after an oil change, was covered by an aftermarket warranty to 94k, and then get upset when RamCares doesn't chip in some free money when it's WAY past the factory warranty? I don't see how this, in any way, should have gone back on Ram. I'd want to know how much oil was in the crank case. If it was dry, I'd be goin after the oil change place big time.