2019 2500 Big Horn / Intermittent shudder, laboring noise, slipping out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJackson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
New to the forum: I purchased a 2019, RAM 2500 Certified Pre-owned 6.4 Hemi, 4:10 rear with 24K miles in April 2022. The truck has approx. 3 ½ years remaining on the Engine / Drivetrain warranty. I also purchased the additional warranty to cover all the other components of the vehicle to run concurrent with the Engine /Drivetrain warranty. I have yet to tow with it, but that is the intent for this specific truck. I’ve put roughly 2.7K miles on it since purchase. From day one driving the truck intermittently I would hear a noise, seemingly coming from the transmission (drone, laboring, shudder) at low RPMs 1000 to 1500 and occasionally while cruising at highway speeds. I assumed this to be a characteristic of the upgraded rear as it didn’t seem to affect the performance.

In early June I was exiting a parking lot into traffic (residential dry roads, 25mph speed limit) after traveling about 50-75 yards I hear the engine revving (3000-3500) buy I am only going about 4mph. I drift off to the shoulder. My initial thought was the truck was not in gear (I have the select knob). It felt like being in the “friction zone” with a manual transmission with the clutch not fully engaged. I put the truck in park, turned it off and restarted and continued driving without incident. I immediately took the truck back to the dealer. The truck did not display any codes from diagnostic testing performed. We took the truck out for a drive. Neither the noise nor the slipping presented. I returned home. The noise continued intermittently over the next couple of weeks.

Another incident of the “slipping” occurred entering traffic from a gas station (dry roads, 45mph speed limit). I need to traverse three lanes of traffic to get back to the highway. Midway the “slipping” happens and the truck is diagonal across two lanes unable to move, stopping the oncoming traffic.

The slipping happened one other time in my driveway, but it was in the week of owning the truck. I assumed it was something that I did and didn’t even recall it until the other two incidents.

I return to the dealer. After a week or so of “testing”, they contact me to let me know they have experienced the noise, but not the seeming “slipping” out of gear. The truck has not displayed any codes to reference either of the issues. The dealer issued a “Star Report”. The truck has been at the dealership now for one month and two weeks today. The dealer suspects it is the transmission, but I’m told unless the truck displays a code, they would not have authorization to repair / replace components. The Service Manager told me yesterday that we are at a standstill. “We”, no I’m at a standstill, they are still in business. They have my truck, my money and I am unable to use my truck for it’s intended purpose to pull a trailer that supports my business.

Has anybody else experience these two symptoms? Were they related? Was there a resolution?

Thanks

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The droning noise you hear sounds like the crappy sound made by the stock exhaust when in Eco Mode.... can't say about the rest, haven't experienced any problems like that.

Juice17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 with 3.6 started about 30,000 miles with a shudder on hard accel. Dealer did a reflash. Not sure it helped. Then about 40,000 it started popping out of reverse on acceleration. Long story short finally wouldn't shift out of first threw an internal trans code and took about two weeks for a new one. Now seems fine and I have about 53000 now