2019 6.4 Knocking, Low oil(pressure), Pump replacement, not offering to look at Lifters and Cam at 32000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBencker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well my first Ram vehicle. 2019 Ram 2500 6.4. 2nd owner from Dealer in Wendell NC. Assured the knocking was normal. Assured the mechanics reviewed. At 32000 it was more concerning, in the shop and they are doing a warranty oil pump. Low pressure. However they have not agreed to visually inspect lifters or cam. How can they not when all these problems lead to the cam and lifters? Anyone have a Chrysler contact? Or an eastern NC dealer willing to step up?

OP
OP
B

BBencker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am considering filing a complaint with the NC state attorney general against Diamler Chrysler for a manufacturing defect. Almost all articles with top 4 or 5 failures of the engines circle back around to the MDS lifters being under lubricated. Has anyone else taken this course to get the appropriate response from the manufacturer?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I feel for ya. I'm not sure of a course of action other than run it and see how it sounds and preforms after the oil pump replacement. I'd imagine if they found all kinds of metal shavings during the oil pump replacement, they'd dig further into the engine.

Crappy situation here. Good thing is you've got a lot of 5yr/60K mile powertrain warranty left.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pop oil control valve, if there are shavings fca will replace engine, if not, they wont do nada unless you have a mis fire code. Many of us are in same boat, never a hemi never again for this guy.

You can try a lubrication strategy, very successful at ram forum, read this thread and look at poll results. If you try this use 5w40 or 5w30, not 0w40, PM me if you are interested in more info.

Octane

Reaction score
Ive never experienced as of yet an engine problem.But if I do,even I will likely never own another Chrysler product.Even if the lifter issue was an extremely small % of issues I do not believe it should be an issue anyway.Regardless if other makers may have some of the same issues.These makers have been building engines for about 100 years....it is past time they got it right.
Like the tailgate issue...tailgates been built for decades,and now they fall off? Give me a break.Even an idiot can do better in a backyard shop!

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I've owned a slew of Hemi Rams, and all have been excellent! That being said, I swapped out to Redline oil on their first oil changes.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ive never experienced as of yet an engine problem.But if I do,even I will likely never own another Chrysler product.Even if the lifter issue was an extremely small % of issues I do not believe it should be an issue anyway.Regardless if other makers may have some of the same issues.These makers have been building engines for about 100 years....it is past time they got it right.
Like the tailgate issue...tailgates been built for decades,and now they fall off? Give me a break.Even an idiot can do better in a backyard shop!

5-10% major engine failure ain't a small %! It never would have made it past any new product design team I worked on, I know that for sure.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well my first Ram vehicle. 2019 Ram 2500 6.4. 2nd owner from Dealer in Wendell NC. Assured the knocking was normal. Assured the mechanics reviewed. At 32000 it was more concerning, in the shop and they are doing a warranty oil pump. Low pressure. However they have not agreed to visually inspect lifters or cam. How can they not when all these problems lead to the cam and lifters? Anyone have a Chrysler contact? Or an eastern NC dealer willing to step up?

@RamCares - you still out here? Please help OP out.

OP
OP
B

BBencker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've owned a slew of Hemi Rams, and all have been excellent! That being said, I swapped out to Redline oil on their first oil changes.
I did an oil change at 24000 my only one, previous owner did priors, but stuck to the ultra and factory filter for warranty purposes. Could the oil have been the cause of the pump failure? Dealer said first owner did 2 long trips with a 30 + foot bumper pull camper? Just received a new order for an oil change prior to taking the truck in, sounds like I should return that asap. Yet to read the post Burla linked.
I did want to say thank you to you all for taking the time to comment and support. Took me 5 months to choose a new truck and switch brands. Really want this to turn out on the positive end. I'm just not sure why, if the oil pump is 2 weeks out, they haven't pulled it apart to look for metal and then maybe move to replacing the necessary parts. Counter intuitive to this point.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No, the oil brand won't cause oil pump failure. I haven't heard of a catastrophic oil pump failure, only getting weak from wear & leakage.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@RamCares a real thing?
I am a commercial construction business development manager. They are giving me a Van as a loaner? WTH

Yeah, they've helped some members out, but I haven't seen them respond lately. Maybe they gave up this initiative?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No matter how small there aint no excuse for a multi billion dollar company making bad products

Well, yeah, I concur, of course.

I wondered on another thread if Ram would've done a SOHC like Ford did with their 6.2L V8 first used in the F150 Raptor truck, if all this nonsense would have been avoided?

Now Ford only puts the 6.2L V8 in their heavy duty trucks as the base engine. Seems to mimic the Hemi 6.4L in performance, right down to the cross flow valve architecture.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Might be irrelevant but you had mention the previous owner had towed a TT alot. I doubt that has much to do with it. My son had a 2018 2500 6.4 and towed his 8100lb TT all over the country (9000 miles towing as per his EVIC readout) and traded his truck in with 95,000 miles and it had never had a single issue. In fact when he traded it the dealer ran the Carfax and commented that there were no maintenance records from dealerships since it had 6000 miles on it. Of course he always did maintenance but usually went to the Valvoline quik change. I forget what brand of oil but he always used the recommended 0W-40 and had to buy it himself to take to Valoline cause they rarely ever had it in stock. He either used Pennzoil or Valvoline, can't remember. Mine has almost 25,000 miles on it and have always had mine changed at the dealer every time. Have about 700 or so miles towing our 9000lb boat and never any issues. I have a 2018 2500 6.4 also.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My 2019 pw had a tap, used oil, and blew out blue smoke off and on up until I sold it. Even if was considered normal, which I have no idea why that could be considered normal but the dealership told me twice it was normal! I sold it when inflation went out the roof and upgraded to the diesel, I’m sorry to hear about your truck. I hope they figure it out. If not… maybe sell it while inflation it high and used car prices are high. Make some money while you can

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe should have bought brand new , then you know what you are starting with. Should have taken to your own mechanic and not rely on dealers bs opinion . Dealers do lie ,often ,most probably every day. You trusted the dealer saying knocking was normal. All the more reason fora second look.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bump your Idle RPMs with HP tuner. up to 750-800 rmp and disable MDS.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just bump your Idle RPMs with HP tuner. up to 750-800 rmp and disable MDS.
I’ve often thought about this myself. Bumping up the rpms to help with the lubrication side of things since that seems to be the consensus on poor lubrication while idling. Just not sure how it would effect things long term if any.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
buying used can be very risky if you dont have a trusted mechanic look it over first.
your title says low oil. whats that all about?