2019 Big Horn 1500 - Exhaust hissing / whooshing sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmooney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought my 2019 1500 5.7 Big Horn in March. 24500 Miles. March and April were still fairly chilly so didnt ever drive with the windows down.
Now that its nicer out ive noticed my exhaust makes what sounds like a hiss or whooshing sound when accelerating or accelerating under load, about 1400RPM especially. I never hear the sound unless im driving next to parked cars or curbs / barriers. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak, yet I cant find any leak at all. It seems to be coming from under the truck and is equally pronounced on the driver and passenger side.
Just took a road trip and got 20MPG, so I dont see much drop in performance and was actually really happy with that MPG

I can not recreate the sound in park and revving. Ive read on some forums that it is just the sound the truck makes, especially as noise resonation would probably be coming of the Y Pipe. Ive never had a truck let alone a Hemi. Maybe im just not used to the sounds of an exhaust like this. Its honestly driving me insane not knowing what's goin on or if its normal.

Any help is greatly appreciated

ALSO seems to be more pronounced in lower gears

Last edited:

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This may sound silly and you will have to try this . The sound you might be hearing is from your tires and air swooshing thru the rims and bouncing off a surface near you and entering the truck. Drive thrus are bad for hearing noises. So try this , drive along side of something so you can hear the noise then stop safely , if noise stops probably air noise if not well that's all I got. My motto is simple ideas first and the proceed from there. Good luck.