2019 Bighorn? Or Tried and True Gen 4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the look of the 2019 Bighorn Crew Cab...and the discounts they're giving now
are pretty good (2019 Big Horn 2WD Crew...msrp 44000, sale price 31000)
But have heard lot of issues with them

I have a 14 Reg Cab Express with very low miles worth good money on a trade,
and seeing new 19 classics and 15 up Big Horns at good prices

(Looking at a 2015 SLT/Big Horn Crew Cab 5'7 Box with comfort and luxury packages
and 30000 one owner miles in the 24000 range) *Pic Below*bighorn15a.jpg

All these would be Hemi 5.7 with the 8 spd 2WD or 4WD

Also seeing loaded up Crew Cab Laramies with 50-70K miles in the 24-26K range

I mostly want a Crew Cab More room better ride but want something I won't have
issues with...WHICH WAY WOULD YOU GO HERE GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES?

UPSTrucker13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The new 2019s have my undivided attention. They are awesome, especially the interior.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm seeing countless 2019 "classics" in the tradesman, express and Big Horn configurations as well, many more so than the new 2019s...quite a few can be had in the 30K range
with the discounts...WHY are all these being made is what I'm wondering?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
FYI,
I'm under the impression the 19 classics are going to be ramping down production very soon/not taking any new orders for them once you can order a 2020 (my son is a salesman at a local dealer). They were being offered as a transition option for those that preferred the 4th gen style (big Horn was highest trim on classic) while FCA ramped up production on the new 5th Gens.

I traded in my 13 ram 1500 CC SLT v6 (low miles) that I was perfectly happy with on an 18 Laramie CC v8 because I preferred the body style, proven reliability (there are exceptions), basically loaded and incentives. Plus I was still able to get the lifetime Maxcare warranty.

I think the interior of the 5th gen is fantastic but wasn't interested in a bigger back seat (CC)/getting a 4" longer truck in the garage, the Toyota style front end, or the potential first year issues of a new truck (definitely been some, especially with the 12" radios).

It really comes down to which style you prefer and any deals to be had.

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I DID see a leftover 18 Laramie CC 4x4 but it has the ecodiesel in it
I know nothing about, that 15 above is still the best deal I've found
and it has the newer seating as well as the 8.0 Uconnect radio
If nothing else there are still plenty of 18-19 SLT (rentals) and Big Horn Classics
left out there. Personally I like the older style better but that's just me

My 14 with a std cab and bed, and 20" wheels doesn't exactly ride real good as you can imagine, I'm debating on a CC with the 20s (as above)
vs the aluminum 17" wheels, I'm sure I'll probably like the 17s better.
All depends on what kind of deal if any I can work on the truck above

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My concern for a 19 4th gen. would be how the resale value would hold up. I don't think just because it's a 19 that market will treat it the same as a 19 5th gen. In 4-5 years, it's just going to be the last gen and the used market will want 5th more than 4th, lowering your trade in.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're going to get something used I would try to find something with the bumper to bumper warranty still left on it as quite a few people do trade in newer trucks if they have concerns or were having problems. I would hate to end up with someone else's problems and no warranty left unless of course you buy an extended(Maxcare or Added Care Plus) warranty. I love my HEMI but since I bought it new I know exactly what motor oil its had in it since 3K miles. With the potential for cam/lifter problems down the road I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a HEMI with more than 30K miles or so on it without that warranty.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Firebird, if I keep staring at your truck I'll have to have one.
That's about the slickest lookin Ram I've seen. Do you have it
lowered, or?? Looks like Laramie rims on it?

That truck has just about made my mind up to get a new 2019 Big Horn Crew...that is one nice ride...

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, given the closeness of price I'd go with a new one for sure. There's not enough price spread IMO to be buying a 4 year old truck for a few thousand less than you can get a new one for. And the "classic" model, I agree with Troutspinner in that you're going to be getting 4th gen prices for a trade in next time around.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn’t like the 5th gen until I saw one lifted. Looked good and it grew on me. That said if I was gonna trade my ‘14 in, I would either get a warlock or would wait for the 2020 models to come out. There are too many people complaining of issues for me to go with a 5th gen. But I’m a worry wart lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott Barrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got my 2019 BigHorn two weeks ago. Had 1000 miles on it and I had them throw in 100k bumper to bumper warranty. Went with that over a new Warlock with a 60k warranty and 36k bumper to bumper warranty. I absolutely love this truck! You won't go wrong with it!

SB

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
I would go with the new one as well. some nice upgrades including better crash test ratings.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish they kept the fold out raised floor (from under the rear seats) in the back. Dogs love it. I know 19’s have a flat floor, which is great, but no fold out option.

RawMew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the 5th gen for 6 months and traded it in. The AC performance is horrible. Couldn't stand the fact that I had to clamp off the heater core to get decent air.
I traded in for the classic 4th gen and couldn't be happier. AC is excellent on the classic
If you live in a very hot I would pass on the 5th gen till Ram fixes that design flaw.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed the AC on BOTH 2019s I drove as well, that is def a consideration for me as it gets HOT in FL

RawMew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you look over on the 5th gen forum they have about 5 threads going on about the AC issue. It seems like a design issue and ram is not addressing it. I had my 5th gen serviced twice for AC before I got rid of it.
Living on the west coast good AC is a must. I brought a temp guage when I test drove the classic and was getting 42 out of both sides in 108 degree outside temp were as my 5th gen was getting 70 out of the driver side at idle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove a Laramie and a Big Horn at first I thought it was me not up to speed (altho that shouldnt matter) brought it up to hiway speed and no change the AC in my reg cab will freeze you out and that's what I WANT
Maybe better wait for the 2020 2021 models to see if they fix that issue which is unacceptable to me

RawMew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I test drove the 5th gen in winter time so I didn't notice till June.
I would wait till ram resolves issue or get a classic

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye