2019 Dodge 2500 Limited issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronreece

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge 2500 Diesel Laramie
Engine
6.7 diesel
So I bought a new 2019 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 Limited the end of last year (it has 20k miles currently) and it's back in the shop again...

Right after buying the truck, the 12" touch screen froze up and the dealership had to reboot the system (it still continues to freeze up every once in a while or the screen just goes blank).

A few weeks later, I'm sitting at a stop light and the engine made a loud noise and the motor shut off - smoke was coming out from under the hood and when I tried starting it, it sounded like the motor had seized up. After getting it towed to the dealership, the service manager called and said the starter had malfunctioned and engaged while the motor was running and froze up - which he said caused the motor to shut off and not be able to restart it. They replaced the starter and some other stuff, and it hasn't been an issue since.

A couple months back, my front end started making clunking noises every time I turned the steering wheel. Back I head to the dealership. A few days later I get a call from the service manager and he says the drag link is bad - that the ball joint on the passenger side of the front end is binding up. They replaced the drag link, realigned the front end, and everything seemed fine.

A few weeks ago, my transmission went into limp mode and a couple warning lights came on on the dash. I crawl back to the dealership and leave the truck there for them to check out. The next day I get a call from the service manager and he tells me the valve body in the transmission has failed and the part is not available - and it may be a month or more before they are able to get a replacement part (it's a Covid deal, mannn....). So just yesterday I get a call and it's a miracle - they were able to get the part and the truck's ready for me to pick up tomorrow.

So here's the deal, I have a little more than a year or around 15K miles left until the factory warranty runs out. Considering all the issues to date I've had with my truck (and a few more I didn't mention), what's the future hold for me? If things continue as they have, I see some very expensive repairs headed my way when the truck's warranty runs out.

I really don't want to pursue the "lemon law" deal on this truck (I've spent around $10K in aftermarket work really tricking the truck out and was told when the dealership is forced to buy back a vehicle, they are not on the hook for the extra stuff installed), plus I really LOVE the truck.

I was thinking about contacting the service manager at the Dodge dealership I've been dealing with (cool guy), and see if maybe Dodge would be willing to extend the warranty on my truck - considering all the issues I've dealt with. To me, it seems like a reasonable request - and far less problematic than getting an attorney involved with the whole buy-back dilemma.

Anyone have any feedback/opinions - I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks for reading...

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Lemon laws vary by state, investigate your state's lemon laws so you know where you stand. Another warranty option is Max Care, for a diesel, you can get coverage up to 8 years or 120,000 miles.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Purely my opinion: I would sell it or trade it for another truck or maybe even a Chevy or GM?? Sometimes you get a great vehicle, sometimes you get a stinker, I think you may have gotten the short end of the stick. Wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Mike

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Was the truck exposed to salt water? You truck might be shorting out and driving the ECM crazy. The undercarriage sounds like corrosion may have entered wire bundles and other parts. Pulling apart the steering links would yield corrosion indicators. You mentioned a valve body too. That’s too many different components

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A couple months back, my front end started making clunking noises every time I turned the steering wheel. Back I head to the dealership. A few days later I get a call from the service manager and he says the drag link is bad - that the ball joint on the passenger side of the front end is binding up. They replaced the drag link, realigned the front end, and everything seemed fine.

^ Interesting. I had my draglink replaced with the "new" style on my 2016 and have a clunking/popping sound I cannot 100% narrow down but I swear it's the draglink? I might start a separate thread and see if anyone else has had this issue?

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was the truck exposed to salt water? You truck might be shorting out and driving the ECM crazy. The undercarriage sounds like corrosion may have entered wire bundles and other parts. Pulling apart the steering links would yield corrosion indicators. You mentioned a valve body too. That’s too many different components
Thats exactly what I was thinking that he may of gotten a flood truck of some sort. They move these things around the country. I believe you may be able to track where your truck was made and when/where it shipped to. Also start sliding around under the truck and looking for other signs or excessive early corrosion.

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I agree jr27236, there are just too many things going wrong w this truck and those issues all seem like very separate issues. With all of the storm flooding we have seen in the last few years, hundreds of thousands of flooded vehicles find their way back into the market….especially in the last two years when used vehicle prices have SOARED. I bought a 2011 Ram 2500 6.7 pre-def, and have not had a single problem w it. Ronreece should probably sell his 2019….and I would try to find an older Ram which will have less electronics, which usually means less expensive repairs

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Lemon laws vary by state, investigate your state's lemon laws so you know where you stand. Another warranty option is Max Care, for a diesel, you can get coverage up to 8 years or 120,000 miles.
I think LL's are only for the original owner, but BossHogg is right, that varies from state to state.

I'd guess your truck was a Certified Pre-Owned, given the miles and year? If so, the MaxCare extended warranty is bit cheaper for you. There are several online Mopar sites that sell them, and are likely much cheaper than a dealer. Here is one:

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
Another story that simply confirms my belief that you should never buy the first couple of years of a new generation Ram