2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hogfish823

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dodge apparently thought it was a good idea to put the shifter knob lower on the console and right where a tall guy's knee goes. They also apparently thought it was a good idea not to allow the steering wheel to tilt and telescope very much at all.

Does anyone know if Dodge has plans to move the shifter knob any? I love my Dodge and want another Dodge Ram 1500 but they have made the area the driver occupies smaller. I would hate to have to move to Ford but Damn the new Ford F150 is HUGE.

Most drivers of trucks are big guys and Dodge is forcing us to move to Ford to get the added space.

MaxB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m 6’3” and have absolutely no problems with my knee hitting the shifter knob or finding a good adjustment to the steering wheel.

On my ‘19 the pedals adjust also, so with pedal adjustment, seat adjustment and steering wheel adjustment, I’ve never had a truck that allowed me so many options to find a comfortable driving position.

Spend some time in a ‘19 if you haven’t. Might not find it as bad as you think.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I'm guessing you will see the shift knob in the same spot till the 6th gen ram comes out....so 8 to 10 years from now

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
He’s only 2 inches taller than me and I promise you my knee isn’t anywhere near the knob. Unless he has the pedals all the way up and the steering wheel pressed to his chest, I don’t see how this is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
He apparently has never actually sat in one or didn't adjust pedals, seat, steering wheel correctly when he did.

Unless he's 7' tall I guess.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am 6ft 2" and have massive amount of clearance on the Laramie w/ console. I don't drive with the seat all the way back.

OP - Which trim did you try?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I just laugh and point when I see people that close to the powerful exploding air bag lol! Tarts!

Some people just don’t understand how much force those things generate, I’ve been hit with a bag once and that was the last! It broke my nose and fractured my eye socket. Not fun, and I wasn’t even close, my seat was all the way back and it still got me with the belt on, so I can’t imagine what would happen to someone sitting that close, ouch!

Last edited:

BlownOut1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dodge apparently thought it was a good idea to put the shifter knob lower on the console and right where a tall guy's knee goes. They also apparently thought it was a good idea not to allow the steering wheel to tilt and telescope very much at all.

Does anyone know if Dodge has plans to move the shifter knob any? I love my Dodge and want another Dodge Ram 1500 but they have made the area the driver occupies smaller. I would hate to have to move to Ford but Damn the new Ford F150 is HUGE.

Most drivers of trucks are big guys and Dodge is forcing us to move to Ford to get the added space.

Hmmmm...

I’m 6’4” and just bought the 2019 precisely because it has the most room of any full size on the market right now. Sat in all of them. Tundra barely more room than the Tacoma I was coming from (everyone makes mistakes people:). Chevy & F150 about the same. Ram has more room all around plus the wheel telescopes way more than any of the others so you don’t have to lean forward just to have legroom.