2019 HD Tail lights in a 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think I'm going this way

I specifically wanted the Blind Spot monitoring but that looks great option.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since there's 67 pages here, can anyone answer if it's possible within this thread to add BSM to a 2015 ram 1500 with factory LED? Preference would be to not have those fugly rear taillights, but worst case the custom paint jobs help tremendously. If it's doable and the info is in the thread, I can read through it and figure it out and ask any additional questions, but I'd rather not read a book if it's going to end in disappointment lol.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Since there's 67 pages here, can anyone answer if it's possible within this thread to add BSM to a 2015 ram 1500 with factory LED? Preference would be to not have those fugly rear taillights, but worst case the custom paint jobs help tremendously. If it's doable and the info is in the thread, I can read through it and figure it out and ask any additional questions, but I'd rather not read a book if it's going to end in disappointment lol.

It will end in disappointment, You absolutely have to have the new style tail lights. The sensor is integrated into them.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will end in disappointment, You absolutely have to have the new style tail lights. The sensor is integrated into them.

Bummer. Is it doable with the 5th gen tails though? Do the tails from two three designs come with the sensor? May not be that bad with the lenses smoked out.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I read through quite a bit and found a parts list but I'm still not entirely clear on how to hook everything up. It looks like there may be a few guys that make and sell the relevant harness. If you guys can provide the harness and some good direction, I'd be happy to give you my money. I have a 2015 sport with factory leds. I'd like the amber turn signal if possible. Sounds like I should be good to go with a main harness, 5th gen tails with retroshop amber turn harness, alpha OBD, and the BSM mirror glass?

Last edited:

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Add another mod to the list. I’m about 90% done with this one. Only thing left to do is wire in some indicators for the the BSM functionality. Still mulling over what I want to do, I like my sport mirrors and don’t really want tow mirrors but that might be the way I’m headed. I don’t think I wanna add an LED to the sail panel but we’ll see. Big thanks to @Roman217 for the custom module to get this to work in my ‘19 Classic. Here is a video from today of me testing out the the tail light functionality.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I got everything wired up now. Just put in some temporarily LEDs to get the BSM up and running. Unfortunately there is one issue, every time I start the truck, I get a message saying that BSM is turned off even though it is actually on. Everything appears to be working as it should (at least I can confirm cross path detection was working properly as it was going off as cars drove past my driveway as I was trying to back out). I guess this is an issue related to the 4th gen ‘Classics’ without a solution yet which kinda sucks.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got everything wired up now. Just put in some temporarily LEDs to get the BSM up and running. Unfortunately there is one issue, every time I start the truck, I get a message saying that BSM is turned off even though it is actually on. Everything appears to be working as it should (at least I can confirm cross path detection was working properly as it was going off as cars drove past my driveway as I was trying to back out). I guess this is an issue related to the 4th gen ‘Classics’ without a solution yet which kinda sucks.

Subd to your youtube, will there be a video showing what you did?

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subd to your youtube, will there be a video showing what you did?
Unfortunately I did not video the install for this one as I did it in stages but everything is pretty much covered in this thread. And if you need help with any wiring I’m pretty sure @Roman217 has you covered.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
video demo of the system in action?
Maybe once I figure out what I’m gonna do about the signal indicators. Right now I just have them sticking out from behind the sail panels. I don’t wanna put holes in them just yet, still on the fence about what I’m gonna do with them.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think it’s the newer
It sounds like the 19 and up clusters are having this issue as my 18 cluster doesn’t do this at all .
I have a 23 bcm in my truck and it’s good so seems it’s the instrument cluster

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it’s the newer
It sounds like the 19 and up clusters are having this issue as my 18 cluster doesn’t do this at all .
I have a 23 bcm in my truck and it’s good so seems it’s the instrument cluster
Yeah, Roman told me he thinks there is something up with the EVICs on the classics. Maybe I’ll swap it out at some point and see if it fixes the issue.

Last edited:

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, Roman told me he thinks there is something up with the EVICs on the classics. Maybe I’ll swap it out at some point and see if it fixes the issue.
Just an update on this. I did swap out my evic for a 2018 version and it did solve my problem.

JuanX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I recently completed adding BSM to my 2018 2500 Tradesman with help from @Roman217

I had already converted the original 5" radio to an 8" UAQ from a 2019 1500, for AA, 7 speed fan, single zone ATC, etc with Mike's help
I had already added push to start and passive entry with Matt's help (thanks Matt)

My BLM LED taillights were from a 2020+ 2500HD (Bought both used form eBay)
I got the blacked-out ones
68446841AE
68446840AE
One looked like new, one was used but no issues or cracks.

I've purchased 2019 tow mirrors with power-fold (Thanks Benny), so the BSM glass comes factory, waiting for them to arrive. I'll re-pin them to the 4th gen door modules I already upgraded for power-fold.

I did have to pull my radio fuse to reset the radio for BSM to show up in the radio.
For now, I wired in some LED's to test the system.
Must say, I missed having BSM when driving the truck, so nice to have it now.

Roman spent probably an hour conversing with me to test the system, thank you!

Below is a log of the changes I made for the BSM, as some wording may be different
Pretty sure the Passive Entry was already set for another mod, not sure why it's on the list below

Reading faults for: Body Control Module MY 2018-19
2022/09/05 11:48:25.257
No faults reported by the unit.
Car configuration change: Passive Entry CSM Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: Combined Rear Lighting Enabled: ' YES ' -> '0 '
Car configuration change: Single Element Tail Lamp: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: LED Reverse Lamps Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: LED Stop Lamps Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: LED Tail Lamps Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: Door Ajar Switch Signal Rear Left Usage (Lamp Diagnostics): ' DISABLED ' -> '3 '
Car configuration change: Blindspot Mirror Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: Blind Spot Alert CSM Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: RBSM Right Blind Spot Module: ' NOT ENABLED ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: BSS Blind-Spot Sensor/LBSS Left Blind-Spot Sensor: ' NOT ENABLED ' -> '1 '