2019 HD Tail lights in a 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
EDIT: After reading back through the tread my issue with the "Blind spot alert temp unavailable" (in orange) may be caused by the fact I don't have the mirrors hooked up yet. Going to try and install tomorrow and will report back.

Still not sure about the right tail light out that I solved by turning the rear lighting DTC off (bottom of this post).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for a little help. I installed the harness and tail lights this afternoon and having a couple issues.
I am getting a "Blind Spot Not available" message. Now my settings are slightly different on a 2016 so they don't match exactly what has been posted here. I do Not have the mirrors/LEDs hooked up yet could that cause the issue?
Here are my settings I have enabled....

1.png
2.png

I was also getting a right tail light out message. I enabled the disable here and it went away but not sure if it was an actual issue with something else?

3.png

My blinkers did not initially work but I enabled this and they started working. Didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

4.png

Last edited:

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question on the IHS CAN wiring, is the 24awg twisted pair good enough to run all the way from the tail lights to the block? (2500 mega cab so a long run). May just run everything 20awg but thought I would ask out o curiosity. Not sure what happens on the CAN bus over long distances

I have used Jameco 24AWG twisted pair without issue. Even the longest run, right tail light following the chassis harness, will be about 28ft.

If you have access to 20 awg twisted pair, it definitely won't hurt anything to run larger wire but 24awg works.

The BSM system will be unavailable until the LEDs are wired into the door modules.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have used Jameco 24AWG twisted pair without issue. Even the longest run, right tail light following the chassis harness, will be about 28ft.

If you have access to 20 awg twisted pair, it definitely won't hurt anything to run larger wire but 24awg works.

The BSM system will be unavailable until the LEDs are wired into the door modules.

Thanks, I should have followed up. Jimmy responded to me and I used the 24awg, everything is up and working!

Still not sure why I have a lamp out issue but I disabled it with Alfa so it's good for now but didn't see anyone else posting that issue.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all for the help on the 2500 HD tail lights. I just finished up the install on my 2015 1500 that had factory halogens and I couldn’t be happier! I didn’t do the BSM’s just the regular tails. But they look amazing.

Attachments

• 1ABC6203-60B4-469F-858A-615B5A336D2F.jpeg
    1ABC6203-60B4-469F-858A-615B5A336D2F.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 27
  • CAA90076-DF20-4885-9210-3E93E1E73EB5.jpeg
    CAA90076-DF20-4885-9210-3E93E1E73EB5.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 27

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I should have followed up. Jimmy responded to me and I used the 24awg, everything is up and working!

Still not sure why I have a lamp out issue but I disabled it with Alfa so it's good for now but didn't see anyone else posting that issue.

Some lights will have light out issues even with the fault sense wire connected. Seems like the tolerances for fault sense on the light and on the BCM sometimes fall out of each other's tolerance ranges.

The way that they fault sense works is that the fault sense signal gets pulled to ground when the light is operating. If the fault sense line remains high (or higher than the BCM expects) the light fault gets thrown. If it really bugs you, you can add a relay to pull the fault sense wire to ground per the RAM body builders guide.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Some lights will have light out issues even with the fault sense wire connected. Seems like the tolerances for fault sense on the light and on the BCM sometimes fall out of each other's tolerance ranges.

The way that they fault sense works is that the fault sense signal gets pulled to ground when the light is operating. If the fault sense line remains high (or higher than the BCM expects) the light fault gets thrown. If it really bugs you, you can add a relay to pull the fault sense wire to ground per the RAM body builders guide.

Appreciate it. I have it disabled so not really worried about it. Was just curious as to why and if I had everything hooked up correctly. Seems to all be working so I think I'm good!

Had to drive up through heavy Atlanta traffic on the highway this weekend and sure was nice having that blindspot functionality!

A327vette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone been able to make the 20-21 taillights with bsm functional? I read somewhere that 20-21 had a different bsm module

extreme_rescue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good afternoon everyone.

I am trying to get everything ordered to add the 5th Gen taillights to my 2011 with incandescent taillights. I am having trouble locating the following pin for the light fault circuits:

Everywhere I've checked says "0" in stock in the Americas. Is there an alternate part available that anyone has found or does anyone have a few of these I could buy?

Thanks!

Alexxn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
If anyone needs a NEW harness for a truck with factory LED tails PM me.

CustomExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I successfully added 5th gen LED taillights (no blind spot) on my 17 1500, with a hiccup. I had hyperflash inside but not outside, so I disabled the fault sense and now works as intended. Wanted to post in case anyone else had this issue.

Jgraw37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Searching part numbers for tail lights I came to this thread. A little off topic, but does anyone know if the "no blind spot" version still has the pigtail and connector to hook up the blind spot monitor? I have a broken tail light but the blind spot sensor still works. Would like to say a couple hundred on the replacement if I could just remove the sensor from the broken light and swap into the new. Everything I've seen on the part with the blind spot monitor seems like it includes the sensor too.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Searching part numbers for tail lights I came to this thread. A little off topic, but does anyone know if the "no blind spot" version still has the pigtail and connector to hook up the blind spot monitor? I have a broken tail light but the blind spot sensor still works. Would like to say a couple hundred on the replacement if I could just remove the sensor from the broken light and swap into the new. Everything I've seen on the part with the blind spot monitor seems like it includes the sensor too.

@Jimmy07 would be the person to ask....

marcun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I read this entire thread... very cool project and something I wish I had on my truck! I'm amazed at how much you guys figure out on projects like this and I very much appreciate you all sharing your knowledge. But unfortunately I have to say this one that is out of the budget for now. Those tail lights are definitely not cheap, and the whole chip shortage is not helping things. Looks like the lights would run around $1000 by themselves, and that doesn't count all the extra wiring and work-arounds. And if you wanted the lights in the mirror's that doesn't seem easy/cheap either. Oh well, something for the bucket list someday. I've already added a bunch of upgrades/mods from all of the great information on this forum, so I really can't complain... :)

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I recently completed adding BSM to my 2018 2500 Tradesman with help from @Roman217

I had already converted the original 5" radio to an 8" UAQ from a 2019 1500, for AA, 7 speed fan, single zone ATC, etc with Mike's help
I had already added push to start and passive entry with Matt's help (thanks Matt)

My BLM LED taillights were from a 2020+ 2500HD (Bought both used form eBay)
I got the blacked-out ones
68446841AE
68446840AE
One looked like new, one was used but no issues or cracks.

I've purchased 2019 tow mirrors with power-fold (Thanks Benny), so the BSM glass comes factory, waiting for them to arrive. I'll re-pin them to the 4th gen door modules I already upgraded for power-fold.

I did have to pull my radio fuse to reset the radio for BSM to show up in the radio.
For now, I wired in some LED's to test the system.
Must say, I missed having BSM when driving the truck, so nice to have it now.

Roman spent probably an hour conversing with me to test the system, thank you!

Below is a log of the changes I made for the BSM, as some wording may be different
Pretty sure the Passive Entry was already set for another mod, not sure why it's on the list below

Reading faults for: Body Control Module MY 2018-19
2022/09/05 11:48:25.257
No faults reported by the unit.
Car configuration change: Passive Entry CSM Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: Combined Rear Lighting Enabled: ' YES ' -> '0 '
Car configuration change: Single Element Tail Lamp: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: LED Reverse Lamps Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: LED Stop Lamps Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: LED Tail Lamps Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: Door Ajar Switch Signal Rear Left Usage (Lamp Diagnostics): ' DISABLED ' -> '3 '
Car configuration change: Blindspot Mirror Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: Blind Spot Alert CSM Present: ' NO ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: RBSM Right Blind Spot Module: ' NOT ENABLED ' -> '1 '
Car configuration change: BSS Blind-Spot Sensor/LBSS Left Blind-Spot Sensor: ' NOT ENABLED ' -> '1 '

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I think I'm going this way