2019 HO sluggish/reduced power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
New to me 2019 3500 6.7 HO with 17,000 miles. Took a 2 hr trip down the interstate this morning truck ran beautifully. The return trip, about 1 hour into the drive I start climbing a long grade. I had the cruise set on 75 and all of a sudden I could feel the truck losing power and it downshifted and RPM's went up almost to 3,000. Took it off of cruise, got to the slow lane, and limped it home. No check engine lights or warning lights until I was almost home.

This is my first diesel so I don't know much about the regen process etc.

Any ideas or things I can check myself before it goes to the stealership?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
{You said, No check engine lights or warning lights until I was almost home.} So what light or warning did you get as it could of been a Regen but during the event if you had looked at he EVIC to check DPF or other items it should of gave you info if it was in regen or at least mine did but then I was in park lot when I noticed mileage to empty dropped an the sound while in the covered parking garage I knew it was in regen so I went to Freeway and ran it at 50 MPH in 5th gear to keep RPM up for about 35-40 minutes....

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
{You said, No check engine lights or warning lights until I was almost home.} So what light or warning did you get as it could of been a Regen but during the event if you had looked at he EVIC to check DPF or other items it should of gave you info if it was in regen or at least mine did but then I was in park lot when I noticed mileage to empty dropped an the sound while in the covered parking garage I knew it was in regen so I went to Freeway and ran it at 50 MPH in 5th gear to keep RPM up for about 35-40 minutes....
I'm new to the diesel but as soon as I felt the loss of power I checked all my gauges...no warning lights but when I got to the DPF gauge there was nothing indicated...no reading at all which I thought odd. Also the boost pressure wasn't registering anything on acceleration...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It wasn't a regen cycle that caused the loss of power, you won't notice them happen.
The lack of boost pressure is why the engine wasn't producing power, it could be a problem with the turbo actuator.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
It wasn't a regen cycle that caused the loss of power, you won't notice them happen.
The lack of boost pressure is why the engine wasn't producing power, it could be a problem with the turbo actuator.
I have an appointment on Tuesday at the dealership. Ram roadside assistance is towing it to the dealer. I'll update when they find the problem.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Ram Roadside assistance picked up my truck and took it to the dealership early this morning. I have to say I was very impressed with the roadside assistance. They stayed in constant contact until my truck was picked up.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
So here is what they found. Apparently, the dealership that did the HPFP recall stripped the threads on a clamp and I lost all of my boost pressure. A $28 clamp.

Attachments

• 20220923_182610.jpg
    20220923_182610.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 12

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio