2019 Limited 20” or 22” wheels thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I'm personally looking to order 22's. I had them on Harley Davidson F150. I've got 20's on my King Ranch now. I do want to see them in person, though. I like Goodyears better than Bridgestones, as well.

PaulNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
I just purchased my '19 Limited and have the 22" wheels. I drove the owners '19 limited demo until mine arrived yesterday, and it had the 20" wheels. In my humble opinion, the 20" wheels look small and not proportional. Bigger tires may help, but I think the 22" wheels look much better. My stock tires are 285/45/22, and I already have Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/50/22 on order which are right at 33" height. Should look much better.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, the 2019’s have a big fender opening and make 20’s look small imo

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it’s a 4x4 and you will eventually put larger tires go with 20’s, if it’s a 2wd I would go 22’s. The 20’s look small on the 2019’s

Should be standard to lower a 2 wheel drive truck. They have no purpose offroad at all.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If it’s a 4x4 and you will eventually put larger tires go with 20’s, if it’s a 2wd I would go 22’s. The 20’s look small on the 2019’s

This was my thought process. Also... Part of the reason I purchased a truck was because we have cabins in the mountains. I figured more rubber would benefit me here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased my '19 Limited and have the 22" wheels. I drove the owners '19 limited demo until mine arrived yesterday, and it had the 20" wheels. In my humble opinion, the 20" wheels look small and not proportional. Bigger tires may help, but I think the 22" wheels look much better. My stock tires are 285/45/22, and I already have Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/50/22 on order which are right at 33" height. Should look much better.

Do you have a picture of this? I have the 20" wheels and am looking to add bigger tires but not sure the biggest I can go without affecting air ride and stuff.

Eric Simpson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 22s and you feel every bump my 2016 rode much better. I was shocked after all the praise the air ride received. I live in Winnipeg so maybe the cold affects it also. Go with the 20s I am having mine switched over at the dealer asap.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the window sticker on mine shows 20's but someone at the dealer had put 22's with touring tires. they looked good to me but I had em put the wheels and tires showed on the window sticker because I plan to tow some and the 22's had a lot less rubber between the wheel and the road in my view. since they were going to change them out I asked for all terrains and they put the Falken wildpeaks. been happy with them so far.

new truck2.jpg

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I ordered my 19 Limited with 22’s. I think driving style and purpose have a lot to do with it. I tend to drive it like I stole it, and am a bit aggressive at times. The 22’s with lower profile tires and stiffer sidewalls help the handling a bit. I realize my off-road capability will suffer slightly, but 99% of my driving is on pavement. The vast majority of even using 4WD for me is either snow or gravel driveways. Since I can really only afford to have 1 vehicle at the moment, this truck has to be part truck and part muscle car for me.

Like others have said, if you off-road much, get the 20’s. If not, and you drive like I do, get the 22’s. Another thing to consider: most non-factory ordered Limiteds ship with 20’s. The 22’s are far less common, so your truck will stand out more with them.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have the stock 18s on my Laramie and can say I’d like to have the 20s. I just think they look better on the truck than the 18s. So anyone looking to get rid of their 20s for a resonable price I’d be interested. I believe the 20s leave enough rubber for off-roading if that’s your thing :hidesbehindsofa:

O2cmefly if you see this. We work for the same company and fly the same bird from the looks of the pic you have. :grd:

jwd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi
Those 22" rims come with mini van touring tires - on a 4x4????? NO WAY. Besides, 22" with rubber bands around them make it look like a drug dealer's pimpmobile. Go with 20s. I wish they offered 18s with decent sized tires to get the same circumference as an option. Softer ride and far better for even a little offroading and better (more) tread for snow.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it was pertinent to add to this one instead of starting a new one.

A little background, I own a 2016 1500 QC, Big Horn, V6 Pentastar, 3.55, 20" wheels. Of course, after I purchased the truck my wife got the brilliant idea of getting back into RV life. We had a 3800lb travel trailer that pulled great behind my truck. I purposely left a lot of buffer to allow for carrying a street motorcycle in the bed when towing the trailer. We sold the trailer and will be going to something a little heavier, as such I'm looking at a new RAM 1500 or 2500. Today we drove a 2020 1500 Laramie, Crew, 3.92 Ecodiesel, 5'7" bed with 22" wheels. We were more than a little disappointed in the ride. To the point I'm thinking I'd rather go with a 2500 Laramie, gas instead. We didn't realize we were riding on 22's until after the test ride and I'm now wondering if the 22's made the ride THAT MUCH harder. It's a very smooth ride on smooth surfaces but once the road gets even a little choppy the truck hits very hard as opposed to being controlled and soaking up the surface irregularities.

Just so we're clear, I love the way my 2016 rides and it's the primary reason I bought it. I'll definitely be doing a test ride in a Laramie 1500 with 20's to judge for myself but I was hoping those with experience going from 20" to 22" wheels experienced the same thing. Can/does the 2" difference in sidewall affect ride that much? Also, TPMS display was showing tire pressures at 40/41 PSI all the way around.

Thanks, folks.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The larger the wheel the less sidewall there will be to absorb road shocks. They also greatly increase the risk of a bead breaking free of the rim if you drive over something. A friend put fancy new larger wheels and low profile on his SUV and he flatted a tire when he drove over a 2x4 in the road one night.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I got my answer today. Drove a Big Horn Ed with 20" wheels. A noticeable difference for sure. Definitely more compliant than the 22's and would say it splits the difference between my 2016 with 20" wheels and the 2020 with 22's I drove yesterday. Firmer than my '16 not as firm as 2020 with 22's. I figure the 2020 model suspension is still tight and would become even more compliant with miles.