2019+ Power Wagon OEM Tie Rod and Drag Link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Running 37x12.5r17 tires on my 19 Power Wagon now and I want to be preventative/proactive with my steering components. I’ve heard from both Thuren and Carli, the 19+ OEM TR add DL are very beefy and a huge improvement over the Gen 4 versions. Guys at Thuren have said they are so solid you done need to upgrade to Synergy’s TR and DL.

What are the community thoughts on this? If they are indeed as solid as Synergy’s than I will just upgrade to a Thuren or Carli OEM fit steering stabilizer which aren’t compatible with the Synergy TR. Alternatively, I would upgrade to the Synergy TR and DL and run a Fox ATS which is compatible with the TR.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes the factory parts work well. since you already have the updated draglink theres no reason to replace it for something else. about the tracbar, as long as your not raising the truck youll be fine with the factory unit. otherwise it puts your axle offcenter and looks goofy. definatly carli and thiren ate correct, these new trucks are miles beefier than previous years. thats the main reason its very rare to hear about death wobble on these newer rams

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Running 37x12.5r17 tires on my 19 Power Wagon now and I want to be preventative/proactive with my steering components. I’ve heard from both Thuren and Carli, the 19+ OEM TR add DL are very beefy and a huge improvement over the Gen 4 versions. Guys at Thuren have said they are so solid you done need to upgrade to Synergy’s TR and DL.

What are the community thoughts on this? If they are indeed as solid as Synergy’s than I will just upgrade to a Thuren or Carli OEM fit steering stabilizer which aren’t compatible with the Synergy TR. Alternatively, I would upgrade to the Synergy TR and DL and run a Fox ATS which is compatible with the TR.
I found that OEM in this area is sufficient and I see no red flags or reason to replace them.

OP
OP
JamesgPW

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Translation from out my a$$:

The experts say everything is fine and don’t want to sell me anything, so I’m gonna flex my google fu and ask a bunch of randoms on the internet what the real deal is instead.

The “experts” want to sell me their steering stabilizer that isn’t compatible with the Synergy Tie Rod so I want to find out if their opinion is biased or legit. I don’t want to spend $280 on a steering stabilizer now and in 20,000 miles have to toss it because the OEM tie rod takes a dump and I upgrade to Synergy’s and have to then spend another $400 on the FOX ATS which is what is compatible.

Keep in mind my goal is to build an adventure rig that will last 500k miles while I explore off road. It is in the rocks and dirt 2-3 weekends per month.

Jesse387SRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2015 with just over 32K on it ( military deployments kept it garaged a lot). I upgraded to Toyo AT2 Extreme 35’s and some Fuel wheels. I noticed even before the upgrades that I was having a floating sensation in my steering, not bad, but enough that I wanted it right. I already had the “Mopar Fix” done to the drag link and hated it from day one. I did a ton of research and went to some of the best off-road shops in person, and online. An overwhelming majority recommended the synergy draglink, track bar, and tierod. I ended up doing that and couldn’t be happier! No wobble, drift, bump hop, nothing. It actually drives as nice as my wife's new Ram 1500 4x4 now. I use my truck to hunt, camp, and explore all over Alaska, and get into some really sketchy areas to het out to the most amazing spots, and so far, not a single issue with any of the Synergy products. FYI, I am running Thuren Springs, and Fox 2.0 shocks front and rear. I hope this helps

8142AB68-7B4D-4A85-977E-4A2835586BD2.jpeg

4381738F-682A-4DEF-9347-4C99E7D7AD14.jpeg

91BF3B18-BF05-4318-A979-06BF8543E158.jpeg

6ED8F657-3636-4E4C-B74E-3CEE1F1859F3.jpeg

OP
OP
JamesgPW

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2015 with just over 32K on it ( military deployments kept it garaged a lot). I upgraded to Toyo AT2 Extreme 35’s and some Fuel wheels. I noticed even before the upgrades that I was having a floating sensation in my steering, not bad, but enough that I wanted it right. I already had the “Mopar Fix” done to the drag link and hated it from day one. I did a ton of research and went to some of the best off-road shops in person, and online. An overwhelming majority recommended the synergy draglink, track bar, and tierod. I ended up doing that and couldn’t be happier! No wobble, drift, bump hop, nothing. It actually drives as nice as my wife's new Ram 1500 4x4 now. I use my truck to hunt, camp, and explore all over Alaska, and get into some really sketchy areas to het out to the most amazing spots, and so far, not a single issue with any of the Synergy products. FYI, I am running Thuren Springs, and Fox 2.0 shocks front and rear. I hope this helps

View attachment 238334

View attachment 238335

View attachment 238336

View attachment 238337

Thanks and nice pics. The 14-18 Gen 4 OEM steering components are definitely lacking. I’ve compared my gen 5 to a buddy’s gen 4 and the gen 5 are way beefier, just wondering if the $800 Synergy kit is needed on gen 5.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'd stay factory until needing to change out. That's my plan with my gen 4. Let factory wear out if your not going to push the limits, that's my opinion. Don't mind the keyboard trolls there are a few here

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been running 37s on my 1500 for 5 years now. pretty sure you're 2500 wont have any problems :p

OP
OP
JamesgPW

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd stay factory until needing to change out. That's my plan with my gen 4. Let factory wear out if your not going to push the limits, that's my opinion. Don't mind the keyboard trolls there are a few here

Thanks for the insight. Problem is I do push the limits offroad. Carli and Thuren both say the 19+ OEM components are on par with Synergy and are “better” because their steering stabilizers are compatible whereas Synergy is not. Seems like it could be biased. Synergy on the other hand states their components are superior to even the improved OEM ones but require a Fox stabilizer.

Long and short is I want a Tie Rod and Drag Link that will last under abuse and I dont want to spend money twice on something.

Jesse387SRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m sorry, I neglected to tell you I am using the Fox stabilizer as well. And just to add an interesting point, two dealership techs recommended Synergy to me before the nee upgraded OEM stuff was widely available. Again, it’s personal preference, but I replied originally because like you, I take my truck to some pretty extreme locals here in Alaska, so I just wanted to share my real world experience with the Synergy upgrades. I hope whichever way you go, you end up with what you want so you can continue happy wheelin’

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
OEM drag link and tie rod are very stout. No reason to upgrade. The Synergy tie rod is a downgrade in my opinion because the steering stabilizer is held on with U-bolts which break, and need to be at a particular angle so they don’t hit anything, and their end links fail. I upgraded my 18 to the 19+ drag link (and made FCA pay for it hehe) when the recall first came out two years ago and haven’t had any problems since. I’ve wheeled in some pretty rough areas. I just hit my tie rod with some touch up paint every now and then. Take out stock in Rustoleum rust reformer, you’re going to need it.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
OEM drag link and tie rod are very stout. No reason to upgrade. The Synergy tie rod is a downgrade in my opinion because the steering stabilizer is held on with U-bolts which break, and need to be at a particular angle so they don’t hit anything, and their end links fail. I upgraded my 18 to the 19+ drag link (and made FCA pay for it hehe) when the recall first came out two years ago and haven’t had any problems since. I’ve wheeled in some pretty rough areas. I just hit my tie rod with some touch up paint every now and then. Take out stock in Rustoleum rust reformer, you’re going to need it.
^^^This^^^

Oem tierod is more than capable. i was looking into both until i heard of the stabilizer issues. FCA paid for my synergy drag link same basic design as the oem 19+ draglink nothing overly special. i wouldn't have gotten it if fca didnt reimburse me

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks and nice pics. The 14-18 Gen 4 OEM steering components are definitely lacking. I’ve compared my gen 5 to a buddy’s gen 4 and the gen 5 are way beefier, just wondering if the $800 Synergy kit is needed on gen 5.

i think you may be a bit misguided. aside from the draglink, theres nothing lacking on the 14-18 trucks steering.
the difference in draglinks is quit obvious. one is a solid bar with turn buckle jamnut mechanism,while the other one looks to be a larger diam hollow tube with pinch bolt. for sure the nod goes to the revised draglink.

the trac bars appear visually to be very much the same, although i didnt go so far as to check differences with a micrometer. the part# are different so maybe one is a hair longer or has different rubber in the bushings ?

nothing between the tie rods
immediatly jumped out as being different. looking closer the 19+ may have a different end on the driver side but the main tube that runs from side to side appears to be the same from what i could tell.

one thing you may have noticed is the trac bar mount at the frame. its a bolt on version now, instead of welded . in the event it ever wore out it could be replaced. but the problem is, i cant recall hearing about a welded version thats ever needed replaced. on paper the bolted version seems a step up but in the real world it doesnt seem to be.

factory ss has worked well for me. so well that my king has been on a shelf in the garage for the last year. why remove a perfectly good working part

saying gen5 is way beefier than gen4 is inaccurate to say the least imo. aside from the draglinks , there doesnt appear to be much difference in the rest of the components that i could tell. and actually the gen4 has one thing i prefer. the double cardan at the tcase thats been proven for many decades is now some other type joint with a plactic or rubber boot that could possibly be torn or punctured

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
factory ss has worked well for me. so well that my king has been on a shelf in the garage for the last year. why remove a perfectly good working part

any chance you would be open to selling it?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ill think about it and let you know if i decide to sell. i was going to put it on when the factory unit wore out but who knows

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
ill think about it and let you know if i decide to sell. i was going to put it on when the factory unit wore out but who knows
fair enough, appreciate it. i think mine is starting to wear. Thuren and Carli are both outta stock til lord knows when

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I changed mine out for the synergy kit .I had problems because I wanted dual stabilizers. I bought all my stuff at 4wheel parts.in Edmonton .the bilstein kit got did not match the diameter of the drag link. and the sleeve of the shock eye was too big to fit in the mount.so I had Toby another synergy bracket and grind the sleeves on the brand new shocks. when I told the techs what I did too make it fit they said thats what they would have done.i hate modifying new parts

OP
OP
JamesgPW

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I changed mine out for the synergy kit .I had problems because I wanted dual stabilizers. I bought all my stuff at 4wheel parts.in Edmonton .the bilstein kit got did not match the diameter of the drag link. and the sleeve of the shock eye was too big to fit in the mount.so I had Toby another synergy bracket and grind the sleeves on the brand new shocks. when I told the techs what I did too make it fit they said thats what they would have done.i hate modifying new parts
Did you look at the Fox TS or ATS?