2019 Problem & Fix Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I haven’t scrolled through this entire thread, but is anyone experiencing loud “clanging” when turning on their truck? This doesn’t sound like my previous HEMIs which had a slight tick when turning on. This is loud and sounds like metal hitting metal.

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoStopN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven’t scrolled through this entire thread, but is anyone experiencing loud “clanging” when turning on their truck? This doesn’t sound like my previous HEMIs which had a slight tick when turning on. This is loud and sounds like metal hitting metal.

Actually I have. It sounds like it might be a heat shield or something rattling against the catalytic converter or muffler. Considering the major problem I had with the cab leaking, a little rattle hasn't "rattled" me. :rotflmao:

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Actually I have. It sounds like it might be a heat shield or something rattling against the catalytic converter or muffler. Considering the major problem I had with the cab leaking, a little rattle hasn't "rattled" me. :rotflmao:

They tightened the heat shield. That was their first guess. But this sounds internal and is starting to worry me. What is the best way to get a video up on here?

NoStopN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They tightened the heat shield. That was their first guess. But this sounds internal and is starting to worry me. What is the best way to get a video up on here?

I typically use YouTube & link the video here.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Jim Rather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Please add excessive hood flex at highway speeds to your list of 2019 problems and fixes. I haven’t found any solution or relief from my dealer yet.
I had the hood flex issue and it was caused by an AVS bug shield with a "lip" or raised area on the rear edge. Removed the deflector and added Clearbra to protect the front edge and the flutter is completely gone.

Stevesfirstram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There’s a non-invasive hack out there for this which I found on another forum. The folks on that forum have determined the AC performance is not super great because there’s too much coolant flow through the heater core when using the AC, so the AC is trying, but it is being hindered by the warm heater core.

The hack is to restrict the flow through the heater core by one means or another.

Heres the (very long) thread if you’d like to peruse. I wasn’t too keen on installing the valve the OP used, so I opted for these $8 fluid line clamps from Harbor Freight. Takes two seconds to install and makes an immediate difference in the temps. Just remember to remove the clamp in the fall or you’re going to have a cold winter! :D

Edit: the didn’t realize the url is starred out.. 5thgenrams(dot)com is the domain.

I found the hack on YouTube and tried it. What a difference. I am getting 43 degrees out the vents on both sides. I would prefer to use a valve versus a clamp. I feel the hose would fail earlier with it clamped. Thank you for mentioning this here.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sounds like piston slap or bad lifter. Before I bought truck I have, I tooled around in the dealer lot starting various trucks and checking them out. Heard one like this and instantly walked away. Sales rep tried to downplay it but I know better lol. Id keep visiting dealer on this one before warranty runs out and your cam gets wiped.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sounds like piston slap or bad lifter. Before I bought truck I have, I tooled around in the dealer lot starting various trucks and checking them out. Heard one like this and instantly walked away. Sales rep tried to downplay it but I know better lol. Id keep visiting dealer on this one before warranty runs out and your cam gets wiped.

Got it. Thank you. They’d be in a bad place forcing me to challenge extended coverage on this issue. I’ll keep you guys updated. I’m not the only one, either. I’ve seen other posts around here.

Funroadahead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Limited 4x4 would grab or jerk the steering on moderate left curves like a freeway interchange. Most noticablr at higher speeds.
Problem is believed to be due to limited slip not slipping smoothly.
Did some forward and reverse figure-8's and it is much better.

Michael_Bae

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Ram is at the dealer now for an overnight visit. Trying to figure out this noise. I’ll post resolution once complete.

No posts on this thread in a while but maybe my experience can help someone. I took my truck into the dealer .. five times, I believe, before a fix was finally found. There is a shroud underneath the hood for the windshield. This was replaced and I have not had an issue since. Kudo's to the dealership for not giving up. Now if I can get rid of that horrible smell from the AC that would be nice.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

That’s a lifter and not normal for a low mileage truck. The lifter is for whatever reason taking a few seconds to pump back up which is why the noise goes away. Been around enough pushrod V8s to know that sound, and it’s not unique to Ram.

Just out of curiosity what oil and filter are you running? How many miles on the truck?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Lifter clap, bleed down from oil. These beasts use a very thin oil. U could try 5X30 Redline. The Oil Guru's says better because of moly and other added chemicals. The oil drains so much when vehicle sits for a period, takes a few seconds for pressure to build up. ALSO if U change yer oil, use a good quality filter and make sure it has a check valve to help with oil bleed down. All IMHO...

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s a lifter and not normal for a low mileage truck. The lifter is for whatever reason taking a few seconds to pump back up which is why the noise goes away. Been around enough pushrod V8s to know that sound, and it’s not unique to Ram.

Just out of curiosity what oil and filter are you running? How many miles on the truck?

I have 13K on my ride, and it does it once in a blue moon. I talked with my SA and mechanic at Dealership (guy knows his stuff), said happens, kinda how the 5.7 and the 6.4 are at times. Normal, BUT he stated: Whatever U do, use good quality Oil and Good Proper Filter at all times. Running proper Mopar and 5W20 full synthetic on mine. IF I was doing a lot more harder stuff in summer here than just normal driving, ie., a lot of heavy towing etc.,. I would use 5W30 due to heat, but this is all IMHO.......

ADDED: OP, whatever U do, take all we say with a Grain of Salt as we all have different experiences. U do WHAT U THINK is right, and not what ne body says on an internet thread, regardless. Your Truck, Yer Wallet. I am happy with my ride, so I stay the course. Also OP, regardless, make sure truck goes to Dealership and have this ANNOTATED in records as a safeguard.

CAVEAT: RandomRam: I used to get that "sound" on old Chevy V8's, due to lifters and rods wearing and they were adjustable liters on drive train. But alas, that was a lot of Moons ago and engine design a lot different. I have more than once stood in the driveway, pulled valve covers and adjusted cause money was an issue, no money to replace, just saying.....BUT that prob not the case here, since all solids, MDS lifters, and such, but I have never opened up one of these beasts, just old 383's, 396's, 327's (showing my age).

Last edited:

pcripley2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As being a brand new model year, we are going to deal with some growing pains. It makes sense to list out all the problems and fixes here, so people can quickly find what they are looking for. I will list a few things I have issues with so far or have seen others have, anyone else post and I will update the main post.

I also want to notate I have ordered these in what seem to start with the most common issues, so the bottom the list will be more one-off or single occurance issues.

Squeaking Brakes - No fix yet, have read squeak goes away after around 3k miles.

Whistling Noise at highway speeds
- No fix found, but it has been determined shutting off re-circulated air is a temporary fix.

Sirius Guardian not working
- No fix to date

12.1" Screen dead - Restart truck, if still no luck then dealer reflash.

Car Play not working - Ensure "use car play while phone is locked" is turned on your iPhone, unplug and replug in your iPhone, or try using a different cable (preferably Apple brand)

Navigation Prompt no sound (no sound from left front) - Restart truck

Sirius reverts to Ch 1. - Only happen after sitting for extended period - no fix.

Water in Cab/Leaking - Possible plugged Sunroof Tube or Third Brake Light. (Dealer Warranty Fix)

AC Auto Temp slow to adjust - No fix to date.

Right Rear Window Hitch in Track - No fix to date.

A/C Static Sound - No fix to date.

Interior Trim not flush - Dealer fix.
I've got a 2021 limited and so far none of these issues. All sound like dealer fixes to me though. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk