2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this Laramie and I'm having trouble with the tailgate not unlatching ..It sticks ...first thing... but after you press / shove against it when closed ..some time it takes a while.. the unlatch feature works ..
Dealer tried straying it like it was binding some hoiw ..that didn't solve the not unlatching first times.. t

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had an issue with my tailgate not releasing. I had to press in on the tailgate as I pulled the handle. Took it to the dealer, they ordered a new latch. When I went to get it installed, it was a different technician. He said the latch was fine but the problem was I had put some rubber weather stripping around the tailgate to keep dust out. He removed a couple pieces of the weather stripping and it works now.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have to go back for another issue and I'll let them know it still is an issue.
Hi there Sean, we certainly understand how this would be an inconvenience! If you require additional support while addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to contact our team in a private message.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cold yesterday ..of course tailgate wouldn't open ..
Cold enough for frost too form? Maybe it's frozen stuck? Sometimes my doors do that when extremely cold.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

James Rauch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone, still doing it, have not taken to dealer yet. I can hear clicking noises when I hit the lock/unlock on fob and when I pull on latch.

zirai10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had mine at the dealer right before I went out of warranty and they told me that there was a bulletin or a recall on the strikers for the tailgate...they ordered new strikers and installed them and I have not had that issue since. Before that, the exact issues you were having with your tailgate, I was having with mine. Would click, but not drop down with the remote and then when I would physically open the tailgate myself, I would have to push in on the tailgate first. Originally I had thought it was some debris or mulch that had gotten stuck in there that was creating the pressure to keep it from releasing, but apparently they have multiple issues with the strikers.

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks
That is very helpful ..so the next time I go to the dealer I'll be bringing this up..

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had mine at the dealer right before I went out of warranty and they told me that there was a bulletin or a recall on the strikers for the tailgate...they ordered new strikers and installed them and I have not had that issue since. Before that, the exact issues you were having with your tailgate, I was having with mine. Would click, but not drop down with the remote and then when I would physically open the tailgate myself, I would have to push in on the tailgate first. Originally I had thought it was some debris or mulch that had gotten stuck in there that was creating the pressure to keep it from releasing, but apparently they have multiple issues with the strikers.

Thanks for the info, I've had the same issue with mine and replaced the strut thinking that would resolve the issue, but it didn't. It seems to work sometimes and stick others. I'll hit up the dealer next time I'm there.

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So they are still blaming the tonneau cover ..it's too tight we loosened it and all is fine now. The wife thinks the rug she had in it. so I removed it even before I went to the dealer ..Ugg Ok I'll put the tonneau back on ( I just want her to see that it's not either) this is painfull .. So the tailgate is still now working properly ..

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so the wife believes it is not that rug, next, Ok it's not the tonneau ....My thought it's the bed liner or the strikers ... still wont open by remote unless you manhandle it... then ok .. until you drive it around and it bounces etc..

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK The dealer got the truck with out any covers, rugs ... still adjusting strikers ... problem still happens...ugg
Was there a service bulletin on
the tailgate strikers ?

OP
OP
Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK this dealer said they removed the tailgate ..then rehung both the tailgate and readjusted the actuator ..worked 99-1/2 percent this weekend ..I used it a lot ..