2019 Ram 1500 with P0456

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aldaran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just hit 9,000 miles on my 2019 Ram 1500 and the check engine light turned on today. Took it to O'Reillys and it has code P0456 - Small Evap Leak. There's no more gas cap on the 2019s so what could cause this in a new model truck? It's frustrating getting a new generation truck with this issue so early. I will most likely take it in on Friday to the dealer since it's still under warranty. Any ideas what I can look at before Friday are greatly appreciated.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There’s more to the evap system then just the gas cap. Could be a leak anywhere in the evap system. Unless you want to crawl around underneath the truck and on top of the gas tank there’s not much you can do beyond making sure the top flap is closed on the filler neck.

OP
OP
A

aldaran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do not get in the habit of topping off the tank after the gas handle clicks off is the best thing you cAn do to avoid these codes.

Good to know. I took it to the dealer and they did the smoke test on it and couldn't find any leak. They closed the ticket as an intermittent code and cleared it. Wasted half a day without a vehicle for this result.

dandyduo3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V-8 Hemi
So I just hit 9,000 miles on my 2019 Ram 1500 and the check engine light turned on today. Took it to O'Reillys and it has code P0456 - Small Evap Leak. There's no more gas cap on the 2019s so what could cause this in a new model truck? It's frustrating getting a new generation truck with this issue so early. I will most likely take it in on Friday to the dealer since it's still under warranty. Any ideas what I can look at before Friday are greatly appreciated.

dandyduo3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V-8 Hemi
So this happened to me over the weekend at JUST 200 Miles on my 2019 RAM 1500. Took it back to the Dealer, they checked it out and got Code P0456, EVAP EMISSIONS SMALL LEAK DETECTED. They ran all types of diagnostic tests and found nothing.

dandyduo3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V-8 Hemi
Good to know. I took it to the dealer and they did the smoke test on it and couldn't find any leak. They closed the ticket as an intermittent code and cleared it. Wasted half a day without a vehicle for this result.
This happened to me with the same outcome. Did it happen again?

OP
OP
A

aldaran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This happened to me with the same outcome. Did it happen again?

No, it hasn't happened again. Then again I haven't over topped the gas tank like I usually do. Might try it to see if it does cause the light to come back own.

dandyduo3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V-8 Hemi
No, it hasn't happened again. Then again I haven't over topped the gas tank like I usually do. Might try it to see if it does cause the light to come back own.
Thanks. Driving from Orlando to DC this week. Will see what happens.

Klashe123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 Larime and have had the same issue over the past couple years. Every time I take it in (been 4 so far) never find the issue but have replaced a couple items. Last time they replaced the Evap Canister Assembly. Will be running out of the factory warranty soon so hope this fixes the issue. Since no one ever told me about not topping off when refueling I will give that a try and hope this stops happening.

OP
OP
A

aldaran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Larime and have had the same issue over the past couple years. Every time I take it in (been 4 so far) never find the issue but have replaced a couple items. Last time they replaced the Evap Canister Assembly. Will be running out of the factory warranty soon so hope this fixes the issue. Since no one ever told me about not topping off when refueling I will give that a try and hope this stops happening.

Yeah, I now stop as soon as the handle clicks off and I haven't had the issue anymore.

Psul

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Limited
Engine
5.7 l hemi
I had this code when I bought my truck with 11k miles and also had a gas odor on fill up but no leaks. Had dealer clear it first time and investigate second time. They found a broken vent tube on my fuel pump. They replaced the pump and codes and odor were and remain gone after several fill ups.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Two things....agree with others:

Do NOT put any more gas in when it clicks off.

Second...just to be safe...turn the engine off when putting gas in. (Running into this issue with my work vehicle). I get a CEL on occasion, every month or so, if I gas up with the engine running. It clears in a day or two. I've had it checked and its the same type of CEL notice that these RAM's get. (Different brand).

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
got that code and cleared it with my code scanner..has not come back. most say it can occur from over filling.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I constantly do 1 click after it clicks off by itself. Never had the code.

Shutting down after the first click makes sense. Since I usually pay with Credit Card there is no reason to keep fueling until ya hit a round dollar amount, and run a chance to over filling.

TinytheLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I constantly do 1 click after it clicks off by itself. Never had the code.

Shutting down after the first click makes sense. Since I usually pay with Credit Card there is no reason to keep fueling until ya hit a round dollar amount, and run a chance to over filling.

Not a good thing. When you go beyond the gas pump's auto-shut off and "click" some more gas into the tank, what happens is over time, fuel splashes or builds up in the vent tube that leads back to the evap canister which starts breaking down the charcoal. The broken down material clogs up the vent tubes due to the slight vacuum from the gas tank trying to pull vapors back from the evap canister into the fuel system.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a good thing. When you go beyond the gas pump's auto-shut off and "click" some more gas into the tank, what happens is over time, fuel splashes or builds up in the vent tube that leads back to the evap canister which starts breaking down the charcoal. The broken down material clogs up the vent tubes due to the slight vacuum from the gas tank trying to pull vapors back from the evap canister into the fuel system.

I don't believe there is any vacuum created by the tank emptying as we have a capless filler. The tank is not air-tight, or have a valve that is a one-way vent (i.e. gas cap).

Not saying you are wrong...just wondering if what you say will happen without this vacuum effect.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There is a dual flap design in the filler neck. They are air tight otherwise they would be venting fumes to the atmosphere in a uncontrolled manner. The capless design is actually supposed to help reduce the amount of unwanted vapours being released.

The system does go into a vacuum state during normal operation, mainly during engine off times. It does this for leak testing as well. The evap system can actually be quite complex.

Last edited: