2019 RAM 2500 tailgate won’t open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
My tailgate won’t open. Grabbing the rear handle doesn’t get the click. Pushing on the tailgate doesn’t do anything.

The tailgate is closed and the truck is slam full of crap as we’re moving a storage shed, so my access to the inside is limited until I get the bed empty.

And emptying the bed would be a heck of a lot easier if I could the tailgate open. :)

2019 RAM 2500, Bighorn, no tailgate button on the remote fob or in the cab.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sounds like you might have gotten something jammed in the latches or there is too much pressure against the tailgate itself.

OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
There’s no pressure on the gate itself. And there’s no sound when you hit the electric release like the solenoid trying to actuate. So I’m guessing it’s the switch, wiring, or solenoid. Is there any other way to try and actuate the solenoid?

The Bighorn doesn’t have a cab switch or a fob switch for the tailgate.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
A stupid question but With no sound have you checked the fuse ?
Once you do get the tailgate opened check the ground !
I did a google search and that seems to be a common issue!
Can the tailgate be controlled through programing in settings ?
That's all I can think of, And me thinking well I am old lol so take it for what it;s worth lol
Good luck and please Update what you do find !

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Yeah, when I get it here we’ll check the fuse. Any ideas what fuse it it?

The key to checking the wiring will be getting the gate opened. Any way to “short” the harness to see if I can get it open?

Also any ideas where the lock/unlock relay might be?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

The key to checking the wiring will be getting the gate opened. Any way to “short” the harness to see if I can get it open?

On the fuse box diagram nothing says tail gate so it must be with other items.. When O looked at the fuse box on line does not show which fuse for any of the locks, Unless I missed it

Last edited:

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
The wiring diagram shows fuse #14 which goes through the Body Control Module. There is a connector on the harness under the truck used when taking the tailgate off. You can disconnect that connector and apply 12v to the unlock pin to see if that works. Another option is to get into the bed and remove the interior cover and check to see if the solenoid is still connected. It could be that the solenoid just died. They're not hard to change.

Tailgate Lock.jpg

Cham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mine just did the same thing, tailgate won't open. Fuse 14 is good, there is power and ground at the tailgate connector. (had to remove the cover on the tailgate to access the "manual" levers to open the tailgate to inspect the connector). There doesn't seem to be power to the connector at the switch. Harness looks fine. Also note on my '19 2500 there are two "soleniods", one for each side. Neither work electrically with the handle.
Next step I'll try to apply 12v to the solenoids and see if they cycle. If not maybe the switch on the handle?
Wish they would have stayed with a manual/mechanical latch system. Easy to fix, and would last a lot longer than a little finicky switch and relays. Maybe there is a retro kit....

Update;
Spent an hour or so testing. Solenoids are fine, switch is fine, and one of the wires seems to show good ground to the frame (VOM). Pulled some plugs apart and all looks fine, no corrosion etc. Wiring harness looks fine... so I guess next step is calling the dealer and booking an appointment; unless they have something else I can check/diagnose from here. Dealer is a couple hours away, pretty much ruins a whole day for me, even if it only takes them a few minutes to diagnose. Of course the parts will not be in stock, so there goes another day. But that doesn't matter to them. Meanwhile I'll have to keep a torx screwdriver handy.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

?

krm1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
any one out what the issue was with the tailgate mine is doing the same thing fuse is good and i unhooked the tailgate harness tested and everything works hook the tailgate back up and nothing happens only thing i can think of is the BCM is bad any suggestions

Bowie79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having the same issue with my 2019 ram, I have no power going to the tail gate and can't open it, did anyone find a solution?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you remove the Inspection Cover on the inside of the tailgate
You can easily open the tailgate
only 2 plastic clips hold the 2 rods in place
they look some what similar to the clip below

J113287?obj=car&wid=1200&hei=900&sharpen=1.jpg

Casey Brake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
I have the same issue with my 2019 1500. I've still not been able to get it figured out. Done the same thing the other two people have done. Nobody has posted up what the answer has been thanks

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
on my 2016
the door locks & tailgate lock function together, when using the FOB

When you remove the tailgate to spray the bed & tailgate
There are 2 pigtail electrical connectors

My 2016 has
#1 is behind the rear license plate
#2 is found behind the rear drivers side tire at the Main Frame

1700373035864.png

Last edited:

venide2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine just did the same thing, tailgate won't open. Fuse 14 is good, there is power and ground at the tailgate connector. (had to remove the cover on the tailgate to access the "manual" levers to open the tailgate to inspect the connector). There doesn't seem to be power to the connector at the switch. Harness looks fine. Also note on my '19 2500 there are two "soleniods", one for each side. Neither work electrically with the handle.
Next step I'll try to apply 12v to the solenoids and see if they cycle. If not maybe the switch on the handle?
Wish they would have stayed with a manual/mechanical latch system. Easy to fix, and would last a lot longer than a little finicky switch and relays. Maybe there is a retro kit....

Update;
Spent an hour or so testing. Solenoids are fine, switch is fine, and one of the wires seems to show good ground to the frame (VOM). Pulled some plugs apart and all looks fine, no corrosion etc. Wiring harness looks fine... so I guess next step is calling the dealer and booking an appointment; unless they have something else I can check/diagnose from here. Dealer is a couple hours away, pretty much ruins a whole day for me, even if it only takes them a few minutes to diagnose. Of course the parts will not be in stock, so there goes another day. But that doesn't matter to them. Meanwhile I'll have to keep a torx screwdriver handy.
Have you found the issue, I’m having the same issue and looking for fix. Thanks.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you found the issue, I’m having the same issue and looking for fix. Thanks.
I have found that on the 5 I have worked on, the latch assy's needed lubrication. Take the access panel off and operate the latches manually with the rods to release them. Once it is open, lubricate liberally (I use spray lithium grease) and adjust (bend if needed) rods to engage properly.

Mine works like butter now.

Last edited:

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have found that on the 5 I have worked on, the latch assy's needed lubrication. Take the access panel off and operate the latches manually with the rods to release them. Once it is open, lubricate liberally (I use spray lithium grease) and adjust (bend in needed) rods to engage properly.

Mine works like butter now.

Good to know. Thank you.

RamForum is a treasure trove of helpful information.