2019 Ram 3500 ZF trans service issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just went through the service on the ZF trans and followed the steps that are outlined on the internet everywhere. so I start the truck go through running the gears back and forth from drive to reverse. Then rechecked the fluid level and brought it up to full. now I am getting a Service Trans message and the truck won't go into Park, The light is flushing on the rotary shifter but no codes are being thrown. All the other gears work perfect, it drives perfect, the trans temp is between 160 and 170, you have to unplug the battery the get the power to completly turn off. I used a URO aluminum pan and filter, #CY1214647PRM could not find a Dorman in the frame I needed on. I can go under the truck and push the lever on the tarns into park and the message will go away until the first time I shift it out of park. I have found a ton of things on the internet but not just like this, there seems to be codes on most of the time. Could the rotary shifter module gone bad? Has anyone had one do this? I only found one problem very close to mine that pop up on a hellcat and it needed a reflash of the TCM.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The fluid and pan change shouldn't have caused this. Did something get bumped or disturbed externally on the transmission in terms of wiring, etc?

I've heard of this not going into park deal with the 8spds before. I think one person had to replace the rotary shift knob assembly.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what @PoMansRam mentioned, if not
Going to ask anyways but was the transmission pan flange level and the fluid within the spec range when checking the fluid?

OP
OP

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I made sure of the level by raising the rear of the truck about 10 inches to level the transmission. I checked it at that point when the temp was 103 degrees as per the trans temp gauge. I went by by local dealer to maybe get some idea what could have happen. Well the first thing he said was we see all kinds of this on not just truck but Jeeps, and cars. I can be several things that could trigger the message, but the truck not powering down and not showing any codes is a new one. Of course they are swapped and can't get any help now just like most business's so I am driving it till I can get a date to take it in.I have to remember to set the parking brake, unplug the pos cable from the battery everytime I park it when it will be off for awhile.If you look on the internet this is a very common problem, I was surprised. But no single answer for a fix.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I can go under the truck and push the lever on the tarns into park and the message will go away until the first time I shift it out of park.
Which tells me you disturbed, bent, or broke something associated with this. What pushed that lever back into park? Is there an adjustment on it? That's where I would start looking...

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you messed with the manual park release inside the truck? Maybe something's awry there.

I don't know if its the same in your truck, but in my 18 1500 it's behind the panel below the headlight switch.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you been able to remedy this issue ?