2019 Ram 4th/5th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
I just joined the forums and see that under 4th and 5th gen the 2019s are there. Did dodge make the 2019's in both old and new body styles or is it depending on type of Ram like SLT or Big horn, etc.?

I have a 2019 SLT and it does not have the newer body and grill look.

Thanks.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Ram held on to the previous Gen's popular aesthetics as a separate offering, calling it Classic. That seems like what you have.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I just joined the forums and see that under 4th and 5th gen the 2019s are there. Did dodge make the 2019's in both old and new body styles or is it depending on type of Ram like SLT or Big horn, etc.?

Thanks.

Yes, RAM still makes the “Classic” version of the RAM pickup thats the more affordable (and in my opinion better looking) truck. It’s just a 4th gen with a newer model year, pretty much unchanged since 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I agree, the new version of the Ram looks like an F-150 and a Silverado had a child and this is the result, no offense to anyone that owns the new version of Ram, just my 2 pennies worth.

Kevin

Agreed, i’m not a fan of the 5th gens styling. I like the interior, but not the exterior.

OP
OP
El_Dude

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
Hadn't noticed before that on the side by the door it does says Classic so that would explain it. Thanks everyone.
I do like the newer body styles but this one is very nice and I got a great deal on it. It had 20K miles and cost me $25k.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar

Thanks.
No Dodge didn't make a 4th Ave 5th gen in 2019. Ram did however make a 2019 in a 4th and 5th gen, and they still continue to do so.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Imagine how cool it’d be if chrysler gave the Classic 4th Gen a mild interior refresh for the last few model years. We could retrofit everything into our older 4th gens, lol

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
So, are the 2020 Classic and 5th Gen the same except for the exterior? I got the Classic because I love the legacy grille. The 5th Gen grille is just awful in my opinion.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So, are the 2020 Classic and 5th Gen the same except for the exterior? I got the Classic because I love the legacy grille. The 5th Gen grille is just awful in my opinion.

No, the “Classic” is just the 4th generation truck that they’re selling at a lower price point as sort of a budget truck. It’s 100% 4th gen.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They are substantially similar.. it's not as if 4th gens suck compared to 5th gens - but as far as I can tell there are not many interchangeable parts between them. The chassis, suspension, powertrain, axles have all been updated in addition to the shiny bits.

There are probably a lot of reasons they kept selling the 4th gen alongside the 5th gen, like it lets them keep one foot in the affordability bucket and another foot in the advanced tech/safety/appearance bucket. The most obvious reason is that they still do not have a reg cab 5th gen and no matter how many people say reg cabs don't sell, the fact is they do sell ~30k units every year - typically to commercial or fleet buyers but a sale's a sale. So as long as they don't have a reg cab 5th gen it makes sense to keep selling 4th gens.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I agree, the new version of the Ram looks like an F-150 and a Silverado had a child and this is the result,
One of my neighbors worked for and was a die hard Chevy fan for 30 years test drove a new Ford and now has a Gen5 1500 in his garage. When I asked him why the change, his answer was "you'll never catch me dead in something as ugly as the new Chevy trucks"

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
I love my Gen 5 over my 2013 Ram, but mine is the Rebel. Non Rebels look to strange to me................TOO much Chrome.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Il never own a 5th gen to ugly and cheap looking glad they kept the classic around for this long.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've come to like them now. Took me year and half. I think is because finally i see the suspension aftermarket playing nicely with the truck. Still the only models i like are the ones with same color bumpers and Rebels. same sentiment in the 4th gen though that's why i have an Express. You guys can keep the Chrome :) kidding asides I've learned quite a few things from the 5th gen when it comes to their suspension.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Il never own a 5th gen to ugly and cheap looking glad they kept the classic around for this long.

The 4th generation seems to be the longest built truck model.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hated them at first and said I would never own one over my 4th gen... long and behold that 4th gen is gone for a 5th gen. I don’t like all 5th gens but the better optioned ones especially without the chrome looks so much better. Look up a Laramie sport nothing “cheap” looking about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hated them at first and said I would never own one over my 4th gen... long and behold that 4th gen is gone for a 5th gen. I don’t like all 5th gens but the better optioned ones especially without the chrome looks so much better. Look up a Laramie sport nothing “cheap” looking about that.

I have no reasons to own a 5th gen over my current 4th gen, but yes, the ones with colored not chrome bumpers look great. I’m gonna keep my 4.7 until i can’t fix it anymore.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No, the “Classic” is just the 4th generation truck that they’re selling at a lower price point as sort of a budget truck. It’s 100% 4th gen.

And the real reason- existing parts & contracts. Manufacturers generally set a new model year and switch production at a set date. But sometimes due to a large parts overstock (or UAW contractual obligations on total production runs of specific models), a manufacturer will continue with a previous model, and often with the “classic” label. Chevrolet has done this with their trucks, the Impala, and the Malibu at least a couple of times. It’s been pretty rate for Chrysler/MOPAR in recent history.

Add to it, the 4th Gen was (and remains) one of Ram’s most popular versions.

And while I own a 5th Gen 2020 and really like it, I owned 3 different 4th gens (‘13 Express Crew, ‘14 Bighorn Crew, ‘17 Bighorn Crew), and still believe the 4th Gen is the best-looking Gen they ever produced.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have read that the 2019 2500 and 3500 trucks, while saddled with the new front end, was still a Gen 4 underneath. The full change appears to have occurred in the 2020 model year.