2019 Ram 5.7l coolant is insane now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I checked my resevoir, and although I have no visible leaks, my coolant is at the "minimum" line. To be fair it's been a few years now so it may just be normal evaporation. I want to top it up but I'm struggling with what to use. I swear there are so many different coolants out there because it's turned into a racket just to money grab from owners.

Is there an aftermarket coolant that is SAFE to use with the stock stuff found in a '19 1500 with the 5.7?

I -could- in theory just go to the dealer and buy a jug but I feel like I'm being ripped off and am not entirely sure I trust them. I called and they "looked up my truck" and said I need the "purple OAT"stuff they sell. I dipped my resevoir and I for sure have pink in there... I'm out of warranty and if I put the wrong stuff in I'm in a world of hurt.

They sell 1gal jugs of concentrate. Guess the price... 75$ a jug. I need about a quart at most...

Thoughts?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Quadratec, Summit, and others sell it, but I don't know if they ship outside the US.

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I checked my resevoir, and although I have no visible leaks, my coolant is at the "minimum" line. To be fair it's been a few years now so it may just be normal evaporation. I want to top it up but I'm struggling with what to use. I swear there are so many different coolants out there because it's turned into a racket just to money grab from owners.

Is there an aftermarket coolant that is SAFE to use with the stock stuff found in a '19 1500 with the 5.7?

I -could- in theory just go to the dealer and buy a jug but I feel like I'm being ripped off and am not entirely sure I trust them. I called and they "looked up my truck" and said I need the "purple OAT"stuff they sell. I dipped my resevoir and I for sure have pink in there... I'm out of warranty and if I put the wrong stuff in I'm in a world of hurt.

They sell 1gal jugs of concentrate. Guess the price... 75$ a jug. I need about a quart at most...

Thoughts?
So soon after when I bought my '19 Classic express I noticed my coolant level was low and mistakenly used the typical 50/50 Prestone mix
I found out about the OAT requirement later and made an appointment at my local Dodge stealership to have them do a flush and refill
When I got the bill it was $660 cdn !!
So I've learned a couple things from my experience... research and be educated before putting anything in the engine and don't take it to the stealership but find a mechanic that you can trust

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
not feeling to bad, right now. Had to go get a jug of Ford Motorcraft 'Yellow' OAT, for $30 or so.

stuff was green when i poured it into the Wife;s Explorer.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a gallon of concentrate Mopar OAT for $25 shipped on Amazon.

$25 US at Amazon.com often =~ $60-$110 Canadian at Amazon.ca .

I can't wait until they fix the US border BS so I can start buying from Amazon.com and shipping to my NY address again.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
$25 US at Amazon.com often =~ $60-$110 Canadian at Amazon.ca .

I can't wait until they fix the US border BS so I can start buying from Amazon.com and shipping to my NY address again.

I think its May 11 that the US will be dropping the Covid emergency BS so would think it would open the border between US & CA

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think its May 11 that the US will be dropping the Covid emergency BS so would think it would open the border between US & CA

I look at these dates the same as anything presented by any government. It's only a threat until it happens.

The story I've heard, the stupidity will be reviewed on those dates, the same as last December. Nobody has promised anything more than a review. I'm not holding my breath or dusting off my US credit card yet.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What's not open with the border? I traveled over the border and it wasn't for anything business related (personal trip).

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
US citizens are free to cross without restrictions. Any non -US. Citizen will be requested to show proof of Vax and a negative PCR test completed within 72 hours of entry to the US.

If I was at my pc, I'd include a link to the homeland security page which shows this info.

Too late, in bed already.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From the Dealerships Catalog

50/50 mix OAT coolant
1 Gallon Bottle MSQ: 4 Bottles Part No. 68163849AB MS-12106

OAT coolant Concentrate
1 Gallon Bottle MSQ: 4 Bottles Part No. 68163848AB 9.555 23, MS-12106, MS-90032
==========================

Retail​

Coolant Antifreeze, US - Mopar (68163848AB)​

2012-2023 Mopar - 68163848ab

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
US citizens are free to cross without restrictions. Any non -US. Citizen will be requested to show proof of Vax and a negative PCR test completed within 72 hours of entry to the US.

If I was at my pc, I'd include a link to the homeland security page which shows this info.

Too late, in bed already.

Is this old post or new post?

I buy things on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com ship it to Canada with out any issues.
Travelled to the 5 times over last 3-4 months. FL in Dec as example. There was no restrictions or even any questions about Covid.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ram Forum coolant thread with msds, for color alone and compatibility it is best to stay with oem 10 year, but read the thread there are options. Peak Global Life is just Base, oem coolants have additives that are needed more at initial startup then once in service. Most importantly, that thread shows options never to use.

pdf mopar oat

Main additive is ethylene glycol, peak global pdf.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was doing a bit of reading about antifreeze
It seems Valvoline used to manufacture Chryslers HOAT
They do not make Chryslers OAT.

Valvoline is bad mouthing Chryslers OAT, they claim that the MOPAR OAT is the same as any other OAT, it is just higher priced

Chrysler's OAT is made to Chrysler Engineers specs, which does not have an additive that blows gaskets, like the GM product

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not only does Chrysler oat not have 2eha, the seal killer, but also it has the proper color, and if you don't have the same color as oem, how can you ever judge the integrity of the coolant? because you can see when a coolant has failed and when it hasn't, or even what state of fail it is in, just by the color. So that alone makes buying oem chrysler oat worth it imo. However, once a coolant is toast, you could make the move to peak global life, but I'm not sure how much you would even save by doing that. Considering how long oat coolant lasts it is a couple bucks a year, why not stay with oem in this situation.

I guess I forgot to tag the coolant thread.,

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, learn something today, chrysler oat pre mix is 14 bucks amazon, and peak global life is 19, so oem purple oat is cheaper then the best alternative.

now I see op is in canada, read the coolant thread, peak global life is best alternative, check pricing.