2019 Ram 6.7 using oil in between changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve White

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Per Chrysler and Cummings requirements: if running below 0 degrees outside, run the 10w-30 full synthetic and if above 0 degrees, it says to run full synthetic 5w-40. Oil is suppose to be drained for 40 minutes after plug is removed and do not overfill the engine!! ONLY PUT 12 Quarts of oil in and not any more!! When 12 quarts are added, THE OIL OIL IS ONLY 10 mm THE BOTTOM OF THE CRANK! If overfilled it will cause it to fill the crankcase filter and cause it to burn oil. Have seen multiple people using the wrong oil and it will make it burn oil.
I am a Dodge Tech and have been certified for over 20 years and seen what what happens to these when the right oil isn’t used. Hope this helps. The newer Cummings engine in 19 and up is totally different than the previous ones. There are very few parts that are similar.

Alan N Stuart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L High Output Diesel
Not sure if this is exactly where I should post this on here.
Our 2019 ram 2500 6.7 Cummings Is using oil in between changes. Probably should’ve changed it sooner but I was going off the DIC And it said it had 50% oil life left at 8000 miles but it was a quart low. So I changed it and have drove it another 8000 miles getting ready to change it again and it is a quart low again. Out of the 16,000 miles that are on the truck 9000 of it have been towing trailers up to 14,000 pounds quite a bit.

Is this normal to be going through that much oil?

It is normal for it to consume oil before the first oil change. Page 197 of the 2019 3500 owner's manual states, "A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break in period. Add oil as required."

My 2019 3500 consumed 1 quart before the first oil change.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

It's OK to agree to disagree, however, personal attacks are not in keeping with the rules.

Calm down and be civil to each other here.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well you’ve done everything haven’t you hotshot? Military, nuclear, oilfield, blah blah blah. Let’s call you f’ing Superman then. Read what you typed, and talk about comprehension.

You fail. I’m sure at life in general, but your response is as feeble an attempt as your responses. Nothing.

You’re still an idiot, and easily proven so. Loser
Well,

Yeah, I figured you out quick,, You are a Snowflake, when a conversation or a selfie doesn't go your way you resort to insults. Keep whining, no one is listening to you..

Guys, do not run your truck with tons of miles before you change your oil, its just plain stupid... I would rather keep nice clean oil (7500 miles or less depending on what I am doing) then to run oil full of soot..
Oil filters only have a 98% efficiency of removing 25-35 microns, that is everything smaller is getting through.. Imagine washing your bearings with all that soot constantly with heavily used oil--bad.

The exception to this rule would be incorporate a bypass filter, most claim removing 2 microns and higher. If you run a setup like that then you could see longer service intervals. Still I would send a sample of oil out at 7500 and 10,000 miles and get a baseline of what its doing, or run a viscosity test at minimum..

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is normal for it to consume oil before the first oil change. Page 197 of the 2019 3500 owner's manual states, "A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break in period. Add oil as required."

My 2019 3500 consumed 1 quart before the first oil change.
Yup--True, until you seat your rings you can use lube oil..

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if this is exactly where I should post this on here.
Our 2019 ram 2500 6.7 Cummings Is using oil in between changes. Probably should’ve changed it sooner but I was going off the DIC And it said it had 50% oil life left at 8000 miles but it was a quart low. So I changed it and have drove it another 8000 miles getting ready to change it again and it is a quart low again. Out of the 16,000 miles that are on the truck 9000 of it have been towing trailers up to 14,000 pounds quite a bit.

Is this normal to be going through that much oil?
I am not sure but sounds like 8000 might be alittle long between changes. Can’t trust the oil change reminder in cluster

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Per Chrysler and Cummings requirements: if running below 0 degrees outside, run the 10w-30 full synthetic and if above 0 degrees, it says to run full synthetic 5w-40. Oil is suppose to be drained for 40 minutes after plug is removed and do not overfill the engine!!
You have the viscosities backwards, the 10W-30 is for above 0°F and use 5W-40 full synthetic for below 0°F temperatures. The 0°F/5W-40 was the same requirement for the pre-19 6.7 CTD engines also.

On a side note, is there a memo about waiting a half an hour after filling with oil before starting the engine? (it's in service notes somewhere).

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Snowflake

You’re wrong. Everyone knows you’re wrong. You’ve said nothing factual. 5k towing “heavy” (in what world is 14k “heavy”?) and 7k normal...it’s bunk. Period. All your hooting and tooting and shouting from the rafters about what you pretend to be and what you think you’ve done doesn’t change that.

I called you out. You puff your chest up about some buddy that works for cat and some broad you used to bang that’s an engineer, no one cares. Adds zero credibility to you. Carry on boy, I’m done.

Wow, someone is really hurt, it shows in how insulted your feelings are.. No one asked for your fantasy world input, hell you cannot even put together a semi coherent rant, and when you think you do you get all the aspects of what you think you read wrong.
Factual, yeah I have had a storied career, I at least have proof of my past.. Again in your pathetic rant to insult the ex I never had, you get that wrong too.. Everyone who read my post knows that--lets see if your astute reading comprehension that you say you have can figure that out..

The only banging being done is by you, I hope PETA will get involved though, what you are doing to all those sheep in Wyoming is criminal..

Look, go back to what you were doing before trolling this site, The adults are talking here. Yes you are a Snowflake..

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You have the viscosities backwards, the 10W-30 is for above 0°F and use 5W-40 full synthetic for below 0°F temperatures. The 0°F/5W-40 was the same requirement for the pre-19 6.7 CTD engines also.

On a side note, is there a memo about waiting a half an hour after filling with oil before starting the engine? (it's in service notes somewhere).
Yes Sir,

Its just precautionary, the idea is when you fill the oil it has to drain through the top of the engine into the pan, they just want you to have time for that to happen. If you overfill it, it won't necessarily show up on your stick right away, waiting the time will give it a chance to show up and if its overfilled gives you the chance to drain the excess out.

Cheers!

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am not sure but sounds like 8000 might be alittle long between changes. Can’t trust the oil change reminder in cluster
True,

I changed my oil before driving down to Houston, round trip was about 3k miles.. As soon as I got back I got the reminder, my oil is fine. I was not hauling anything on this trip btw..

Steve White

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sorry i do have that backwards. you are correct. but here is the service procedure from the service library from Dealerconnect:

09 - Engine, 6.7L Diesel / Lubrication / OIL / Standard Procedure​

ENGINE OIL SERVICE

WARNING:
Hot oil can cause personal injury.

NOTE:
Change engine oil and filter at intervals specified in the owner's manual.

1. Operate the engine until the water temperature reaches 60°C (140°F). Shut the engine off.
  2. Use a container that can hold at least 14 liters (15 quarts) to hold the used oil. Remove the oil drain plug and drain the used engine oil into the container. Allow 30 minutes for the oil to drain.
  3. Always check the condition of the used oil. This can give you an indication of engine problems that might exist.

• Thin, black oil indicates fuel dilution.
    • Milky discoloration indicates coolant dilution.
  4. Clean the area around the oil filter head. Remove the filter (Refer to 09 - Engine/Lubrication/FILTER, Engine Oil/Removal and Installation) .
  5. Install NEW oil filter (Refer to 09 - Engine/Lubrication/FILTER, Engine Oil/Removal and Installation) .
  6. Clean the drain plug and the sealing surface of the pan. Check the condition of the threads and sealing surface on the oil pan and drain plug.
  7. Install the drain plug and tighten to the proper (Torque Specifications) .
  8. Use only High-Quality Low Ash Multi-Viscosity lubricating oil in the Cummins Turbo Diesel engine. Choose the correct oil for the operating conditions (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids/Specifications) .
  9. Fill the engine with the correct grade of NEW oil (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids - Specifications) .
  10. Start the engine and operate it at idle for several minutes. Check for leaks at the filter and drain plug.
  11. Stop the engine. Wait 30 minutes to allow the oil to drain back to the pan and check the level again.

Steve White

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
here is a tsb on the oil usage:
6.7L New Oil Usage InformationOVERVIEW:This bulletin provides information regarding the correct oil grade to use on the 6.7L Cummins usedin the 2019 and newer HD Trucks. The following information is intended to eliminate confusion.MODELS:2013 - 2020(DJ)RAM 2500 Pickup2013 - 2020(D2)RAM 3500 Pickup2013 - 2020(DD)RAM 3500 Cab Chassis2013 - 2020(DP)RAM 4500/5500 Cab Chassis2016 - 2018(DF)RAM 3500 <10K LB. Cab ChassisNOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NorthAmerica.NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo DieselEngine (Sales Code ETK, ETL, ETN or ETM)DISCUSSION:For all trucks, regardless of model year, located in areas where the ambient temperatures routinelyfallbelow0°F (-18°C) during the winter, it is required to use5W-40 syntheticengine oil thatmeets US Material Standard MS-10902, and API CJ-4. Oils that meet this requirement can be foundthrough Mopar, as well as Shell in the Rotella and the Rimula families. Although this grade of oil isrequired in colder climate areas, it is also safe to use during the summer months, and in warmerclimates as well.However, for vehicles normally located in areas that routinely stayabove0°F (-18°C), there are twogrades of engine oil recommended depending on the model year of the vehicle:•2018 model year, and oldervehicles, it is recommended to use15W-40engine oil such asthe Mopar, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula branded oils that meets US Material StandardMS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil.•2019 model year, and newervehicles, it is recommended to use10W-30engine oil such asMopar, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902, and theAPI CK-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins CES 20081 may also beused.NOTE: Always refer to service information and/or owner’s manual for exact engine oilrecommendations.

Steve White

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

09 - Engine, 6.7L Diesel / Lubrication / OIL / Standard Procedure​

ENGINE OIL LEVEL

ault&X-Auth-Token=6c1a84df7ca14a9a8d64ff99c0b81190.jpg

CAUTION:
Do not overfill crankcase with engine oil, oil foaming and oil pressure loss can result.

To ensure proper lubrication of an engine, the engine oil must be maintained at an acceptable level. The acceptable oil level is in the SAFE RANGE (3) on the engine oil dipstick.

NOTE:
Note: The best time to check the engine oil level is after the engine is at operating temperature and has been turned off (not running) for 30 minutes.

1. Position the vehicle on level surface.
  2. With engine OFF, allow approximately 30 minutes for oil to settle to bottom of crankcase, remove engine oil dipstick.
  3. Wipe dipstick clean.
  4. Replace dipstick and verify it is seated in the tube.
  5. Remove the dipstick, with handle held above the tip, take oil level reading.
  6. Add oil only if level is below the SAFE RANGE (1) area on the dipstick.
  7. Replace the engine oil dipstick.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I had a 72 Ford Galaxy 500 with the 351Windsor engine 45 years ago that would loose a quart of oil every 800 miles, and it didn't matter if you drove it like it was made of glass or like you stole it. Having said this, your Cummins using a quart of oil every 8K is not even a matter worth worrying about. I am sure there is a reason for this small loss of oil but you would have to inspect every little component in the engine nearly with a microscope to find it. BTW, you don't even have to add oil until it is 2 quarts low and I am sure you will have changed oil before then.

Danny25SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I’m new to the Cummins world.

It seems best is to use synthetic oil and a quality filter.

That being said the interval 5,000-7,500 depending on how heavy it’s being used. I tow 5,000 every 2 weeks the rest is city daily driving with 25 miles of traffic stop and go.

I feel crazy that 7500 is ok but would you say 5000 is too soon?

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I run Shell Rotella T-4 15W40 in my Cummins, which is not synthetic, and change every 5,000 mi. I don't put many miles on my truck.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It seems best is to use synthetic oil and a quality filter.

That being said the interval 5,000-7,500 depending on how heavy it’s being used. I tow 5,000 every 2 weeks the rest is city daily driving with 25 miles of traffic stop and go.

I feel crazy that 7500 is ok but would you say 5000 is too soon?

oh-my-god-here-we-go-again.jpg