2019 RAM Laramie Falling Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Purchased my new Laramie 5.7L level 1 in December. Oil pressure was between 78-80 psi off the lot. Drove it for 3 weeks locally with no issues before our annual trip to Florida for the winter (1300 miles). No issues going to FL and was impressed with our 22 mpg average on the gas. While in FL I noticed the pressure falling off to 72 psi and a month later down to 70 psi and shortly later to 68 psi. Checked everything, oil level, oil temp and cooling temp, all were normal. On our trip back home (1300 miles) I noticed the pressure falling off to 62 psi, about every 3 hours of driving it fall off 1 psi. At our first overnight stop in Virginia I checked everything again and found no issues. Starting off in the morning on our last leg to Connecticut it again started dropping off 1 psi every 3 hours. Again, all temps were normal. Approaching NY it was down to 58 psi. I told my wife, wouldn't it be just great if the engine blew in the middle of the George Washington Bridge. I'd get to checkout the SOS on the UConnect lol. Well we made it home with the pressure down to 54 psi. Driving around locally it's now down to 53 psi. I must note, the pressure gauge never fluxuates, always a steady reading no matter what the speed. It's going back to the dealer this Tuesday to check this issue out and also having the brake pedal recall taken care of. The silly Monthly Health Report I get in my email shows no issues with 67% oil life remaining. Oh, I have 4,200 on it. Otherwise the ride, handling and comfort of the truck on the long haul was outstanding. I had a load of about 800 lbs in it on both the ride down and back.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Checked oil, all full, no leaks? I suspect a bad sending unit. These things are marginal across the FCA line - many of my Viper peeps had theirs replaced (mine not yet.....probably just jinxed myself). Jeeps too, and some Rams. Typically though the gauge spikes at 100, or 0. Honestly, can you park it until you can get it in. Why take the chance?

OP
OP
SRT Racing

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I suspect a bad sending unit too. No leaks and everything else normal. A long shot, maybe the oil filter is clogged and in bypass, but doubt it.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Maybe they changed something but those pressures you started off with were very high for a 5.7. Granted I have a 2014 but my cold PSI when started is around 59 and my operating temp PSI is around 53 while driving.

If anything I'd say your pressure dropped to what I would call normal.

Need to get other 2019 5.7 owners in here to comment.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe they changed something but those pressures you started off with were very high for a 5.7. Granted I have a 2014 but my cold PSI when started is around 59 and my operating temp PSI is around 53 while driving.

If anything I'd say your pressure dropped to what I would call normal.

Need to get other 2019 5.7 owners in here to comment.

This.

70-80 seems really high. I dont think Ive ever seen 70 on my '17 (granted, its not a '19 but same engine), even when cold and in the winter I dont think I ever saw it get higher than 65 at idle and once it warmed up it drops all the way down to high 30s/low 40s at idle.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Mine will see 60 on a cold motor while driving, but settles down to 53 psi cruising.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah mine when cold will run around 60psi. But when warm and idling around 30 psi. I would say your's is exceptionally high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

userjh160

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same. 53-56 while driving with warm engine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SRT Racing

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The pressure may be correct, but it never fluxuates. Initial start up (cold) is 53 psi and driving (hot) is 53 psi. the only time I've seen it change was when it fell off 1 psi every 3 hours on our trip home. Strange, but I'll let everyone know when I take it in this Tuesday.

OP
OP
SRT Racing

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Took it in to have the oil pressure checked and they found nothing wrong. The Tech did leave the drivers console display oil pressure on (didn't know that display was there) and everything looked just fine. No one could explain the right side bar that has a little oil can with a % sign next to it. That's the one I was watching as I thought it was oil pressure, which it was not. As I said in my first post, it started at 80% and has kept falling to now 51%. Nowhere in any of the manuels does it mention it. I thought it was oil life, but that doesn't match the monthly health reports or the engine health display. Even online videos of the instrument cluster don't mention it. Just maybe the full shop manual will mention it. Anyone else know? Oh, here are my running oil pressures. Outside air temp at cold start 50 degrees, oil pressure 59/60 psi. Hot running temp at 204, oil pressure varies from 49/51 psi. Idle hot 29/30 psi. All are well within range. One thing they did tell me was the 5.7L has dual oil pumps which I never knew of. They finally got parts for the brake pedal recall and had that done.

Last edited:

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took it in to have the oil pressure checked and they found nothing wrong. The Tech did leave the drivers console display oil pressure on (didn't know that display was there) and everything looked just fine. No one could explain the right side bar that has a little oil can with a % sign next to it. That's the one I was watching as I thought it was oil pressure, which it was not. As I said in my first post, it started at 80% and has kept falling to now 51%. Nowhere in any of the manuels does it mention it. I thought it was oil life, but that doesn't match the monthly health reports or the engine health display. Even online videos of the instrument cluster don't mention it. Just maybe the full shop manual will mention it. Anyone else know? Oh, here are my running oil pressures. Outside air temp at cold start 50 degrees, oil pressure 59/60 psi. Hot running temp at 204, oil pressure varies from 49/51 psi. Idle hot 29/30 psi. All are well within range. One thing they did tell me was the 5.7L has dual oil pumps which I never knew of. They finally got parts for the brake pedal recall and had that done.

Can you take a picture of this screen and post it up?

It sure sounds a lot like the oil life gauge.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you take a picture of this screen and post it up?

It sure sounds a lot like the oil life gauge.

That's what it sounds like to me. You are probably watching the oil life gauge.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
Oil pressure at 53 lbs. is plenty good. 70-80 lbs. is extremely high but perhaps acceptable for a new engine just breaking in. I'm quite sure your Dealer will concur.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 163383 View attachment 163384 View attachment 163386
Your right Arth. They both match now or it was my eyes.

Yeah just like I thought. First picture is of your oil life remaining. You've got 51% life left.
Second picture is of the oil pressure like you know now.
Third is the guage summary giving you the three temps and oil pressure you can see.

Considering you are just shy of 5000 miles your oil life meter is set to 10,000 mile intervals.

Also you've got the screen setup to show oil life percent as one of those side bars.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah just like I thought. First picture is of your oil life remaining. You've got 51% life left.
Third is the guage summary giving you the three temps and oil pressure you can see.

Considering you are just shy of 5000 miles your oil life meter is set to 10,000 mile intervals.

Also you've got the screen setup to show oil life percent as one of those side bars.

Yeah that other gauge should have psi on it. But if mine with 7k on it idle at 50 or higher I would be ecstatic lol. Mine at 50 will run in the 50's at idle low 30's.

OP
OP
SRT Racing

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

10,000 is a stretch for me, I'll be making the first change in the 5,000 range with full Syn and a new filter. I notice the color just slightly changing since new.