2019 Ram - Replacing eTorque Alternator/Generator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slatts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thought I'd share my recent troubles, if only to vent.

I have 42,000 miles on my Longhorn with eTorque. A couple weeks ago, I started getting the voltage trouble light with readings as low as 11.2V while driving. Hoping that it was just the battery and not a more expensive problem, I went ahead and put a new one in it. That apparently fixed the problem and I was back up to 14+V.

I took off on a trip to the Texas coast last Friday, a drive of about 2.5 hours, and started to get voltage trouble again. I located a dealership about 30 miles away, back the way I'd come, and almost made it. Lost power about 5 miles out. Long story short, I received a call from the service dept yesterday and they said it needs a new alternator (or is it a generator?). With labor, that is going to set me back about $1700 since I've exceeded the 35K warranty.

If that's not enough of a kick in the ****, the ETA on the new alternator is August 3 - about 2 weeks. Luckily, they provided me a loaner vehicle, a Jeep Renegade, to allow me to get around but I'm hamstrung without a truck to haul feed, etc...

I asked about an aftermarket alt/gen for a lower price, and was told that there's not any reliable ones at this time. I'm sure that's to be expected from a dealership, but am curious if anyone here knows that to be true or not. I've not been able to locate one on the internet.

Thanks.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You might try calling some other ram dealers parts departments, you can probably find it somewhere else,dealers won‘t share usually . Good luck

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque

I have 42,000 miles on my Longhorn with eTorque. A couple weeks ago, I started getting the voltage trouble light with readings as low as 11.2V while driving. Hoping that it was just the battery and not a more expensive problem, I went ahead and put a new one in it. That apparently fixed the problem and I was back up to 14+V.

I took off on a trip to the Texas coast last Friday, a drive of about 2.5 hours, and started to get voltage trouble again. I located a dealership about 30 miles away, back the way I'd come, and almost made it. Lost power about 5 miles out. Long story short, I received a call from the service dept yesterday and they said it needs a new alternator (or is it a generator?). With labor, that is going to set me back about $1700 since I've exceeded the 35K warranty.

If that's not enough of a kick in the ****, the ETA on the new alternator is August 3 - about 2 weeks. Luckily, they provided me a loaner vehicle, a Jeep Renegade, to allow me to get around but I'm hamstrung without a truck to haul feed, etc...

I asked about an aftermarket alt/gen for a lower price, and was told that there's not any reliable ones at this time. I'm sure that's to be expected from a dealership, but am curious if anyone here knows that to be true or not. I've not been able to locate one on the internet.

Thanks.

I can't give you any advice on an aftermarket alternator, but I've noticed the most problems stem from the first year of the 5th gen Rams. I don't know what you owe on your truck, but 2019 Ram Longhorns with 47K miles are going for $56,000 (which means you could probably get at least $48K to $50K+ for your truck). You might want to trade up to a new model while trade-ins on your year model are at the premium. One of the reasons I wanted to wait a few years was so Ram could get all of their bugs worked out, and the financier gave me a huge discount on the 75,000 mile warranty.

I know this doesn't help your situation or offer advice on what you asked for and I apologize for that, but I don't have any other answer. Hopefully everything works out for you.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
A little off topic, but isnt the only purpose of the E-Torque is to start the engine during the Start/Stop mess when you come to a red light or stop sign?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
A little off topic, but isnt the only purpose of the E-Torque is to start the engine during the Start/Stop mess when you come to a red light or stop sign?
Ram eTorque's 48-volt system keeps the vehicle's battery charged, helps to quickly shut off and then restart the vehicle motor during the use of an Automatic Start/Stop system, and acts as a mild hybrid system for the powertrain.

And should be covered under the warranty as stated above

OP
OP
Slatts

Slatts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
That should be covered for 8 years or 80k miles according to the "All-New Ram 1500 Warranty Information" booklet...

View attachment 465266

Mike - you are THE MAN. Thank you! I called the service department and they couldn't find that the generator was a covered item in their system. I emailed them a copy of the 2019 warranty booklet to prove my case. I suspect they will see the light soon enough.

Thanks again!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It surprises me that your service adviser didn't have that information. Hope it all works out for you and the new generator fixes your issues.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's a bunch of things the eTorque system does besides start/stop the engine. It assist the motor, keeps the vehicle electrical system charged, etc.
Ram also list it as part of the emissions reduction, that's why there's a federal mandatory warranty on the system.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that part should be under warranty, IMHO. U may have to fight to get that interpreted in your favor. Would not be the 1st time a dealership tried to get around an issue, just saying, IMHO ...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks like an impressive upgrade. But at $7,000 it's way beyond my budget.
Not to mention the fact that your truck would no longer have any way to recharge the battery if the generator isn't there. :doh2:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not to mention the fact that your truck would no longer have any way to recharge the battery if the generator isn't there. :doh2:
Really? As I understand, the ET system uses a battery pack below/behind the back seat. I assumed it still used a conventional alternator and 12v battery for starting and accessories. Of course, I could be wrong. Be sure to shout it out if so, my wife would love to hear that.

firedfly

Reaction score
Really? As I understand, the ET system uses a battery pack below/behind the back seat. I assumed it still used a conventional alternator and 12v battery for starting and accessories. Of course, I could be wrong. Be sure to shout it out if so, my wife would love to hear that.

The etorque motor is used in place of an alternator.

From https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-is-etorque-in-a-jeep-or-ram-truck
In a powertrain fitted with eTorque, a belt-driven motor-generator unit replaces the conventional alternator on the engine. This motor-generator unit performs several functions in addition to the standard operation of the alternator, which is to provide electricity to keep the vehicle's battery charged.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ET system uses a 48 volt lithium battery behind the rear seat. It is charged by the ET generator which also charges a conventional 12 volt battery that uses a conventional starter to cold start. The auto stop/start feature uses the ET generator to start during stop start.

Last edited:

SEEJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
any update on this I have 75,000 on my 19 ram and just paid 1600$ to replace my Motor Generating Unit yesterday. Started out grinding and then my truck broke down as i was pulling into the dealership.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
a good reason why I wouldnt opt for such things.

S_Bedard

Reaction score
Engine
V6

Thanks.

Isn’t the generator/alternator part of the hybrid system ? Could Stellantis USA help pay for the repair being below 60 000 miles or 5 years ?