2019 Refund for Tow group Surround Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andremedeiros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ eTorque
I wonder if you could get the cameras from the reg mirrors and install in the tow mirrors and then have the truck flashed. I would imagine plugs/wiring is there.

You can’t. There’s some image/video stitching going on that gives you the illusion of a birds eye view. It would be off in the tow mirrors as they’re differently shaped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can’t. There’s some image/video stitching going on that gives you the illusion of a birds eye view. It would be off in the tow mirrors as they’re differently shaped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I imagine the stitching wouldn’t be an issue with some trial and error. If all it took was mounting the cameras, plugging them in and having a dealer flash, someone could create a template of exactly where they need to be.

Also they make aftermarket kits that work pretty well but you need to be a very well versed installer with serious patience. Another issue with that is camera switching on the main screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andremedeiros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ eTorque
I imagine the stitching wouldn’t be an issue with some trial and error. If all it took was mounting the cameras, plugging them in and having a dealer flash, someone could create a template of exactly where they need to be.

Also they make aftermarket kits that work pretty well but you need to be a very well versed installer with serious patience. Another issue with that is camera switching on the main screen.

I guess you’re right, until you extend the mirrors (which AFAIK there are no sensors for) and then it’s all broken again ;-)

I’m sorry if it feels like I’m cutting you off here. I’m a software engineer and it’s my nature to come up with these “problems.” Ultimately I think they don’t want us users to have to “fiddle” around in order to get things right and that’s why they just won’t support it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess you’re right, until you extend the mirrors (which AFAIK there are no sensors for) and then it’s all broken again ;-)

I’m sorry if it feels like I’m cutting you off here. I’m a software engineer and it’s my nature to come up with these “problems.” Ultimately I think they don’t want us users to have to “fiddle” around in order to get things right and that’s why they just won’t support it.

It’s all good, I am an installer so my job is usually to over come engineering limits. “If” you could install the cameras where the neck of the mirror is, then either position for the mirrors would have no effect.

Once AllData comes out with 2019 guides I will start digging more.

omnomnomnom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another super pissed 2019 buyer here:

Who has actually resolved this issue and how? Outside of taking a paltry $400 of course. I'm in the same boat and am in the process of going to dealer+ram. My current NPS for RAM is 0... I ordered a pickup and didn't catch how ****** the tow package mirrors are until a couple days after picking it up (lets be real, everything else is really nice and there are 1000 features). I depended on the build/order sheets for the feature+delete checks and missed this. I would not have taken delivery had I caught surround view was cut for tow mirrors. I inspected the higher cost individual features and the interior/exterior condition and missed this.

I'm not convinced I'd take $2,000 even, I want a truck that has the feature.

Anyone know if even if there is a install option at the dealer if that should be avoided because they rip too much up in the truck? Or is it 2 mirrors and a grill swap with a uconnect flash? Any wiring I'm thinking nope it, pre-existing wiring I'd be comfortable.

I'm kind of surprised RAM could be just idiots to let people build $68,000 high tech luxury trucks and then without mention upcharge for crap manual garbage mirrors that take away a key tech feature and value (surround view, power auto fold, power auto re-position on gear selection).

What is wrong with them, and how many 2019's do they think they can sell when apparently large swaths of early adopters are pissed off? I've always had Chrysler group vehicles and yesterday I was researching buyback laws and other pickup brands... I've driven a half ton RAM for my entire life, and everyone of them brand new - now I feel like I've never made a bigger money mistake that signing for this 2019 RAM.

Really really bad stuff..

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another super pissed 2019 buyer here:

Who has actually resolved this issue and how? Outside of taking a paltry $400 of course. I'm in the same boat and am in the process of going to dealer+ram. My current NPS for RAM is 0... I ordered a pickup and didn't catch how ****** the tow package mirrors are until a couple days after picking it up (lets be real, everything else is really nice and there are 1000 features). I depended on the build/order sheets for the feature+delete checks and missed this. I would not have taken delivery had I caught surround view was cut for tow mirrors. I inspected the higher cost individual features and the interior/exterior condition and missed this.

I'm not convinced I'd take $2,000 even, I want a truck that has the feature.

Anyone know if even if there is a install option at the dealer if that should be avoided because they rip too much up in the truck? Or is it 2 mirrors and a grill swap with a uconnect flash? Any wiring I'm thinking nope it, pre-existing wiring I'd be comfortable.

I'm kind of surprised RAM could be just idiots to let people build $68,000 high tech luxury trucks and then without mention upcharge for crap manual garbage mirrors that take away a key tech feature and value (surround view, power auto fold, power auto re-position on gear selection).

What is wrong with them, and how many 2019's do they think they can sell when apparently large swaths of early adopters are pissed off? I've always had Chrysler group vehicles and yesterday I was researching buyback laws and other pickup brands... I've driven a half ton RAM for my entire life, and everyone of them brand new - now I feel like I've never made a bigger money mistake that signing for this 2019 RAM.

Really really bad stuff..

Biggest money mistake because of one option? I understand the frustration but let's be real - you never take delivery without doing a test drive and make sure everything works first. Secondly Ram quickly caught this and updated the window stickers. Third - the feature isn't that great by it's self. I've had it in previous cars, I park better with mirrors than cameras.

Anyways I expect this to be a pretty easy swap. It is probably as simple as buying the mirrors, pluging them into the module in the doors, and something similar in the front with a flash.

Can always go aftermarket route as well, but if it's that big of a deal and you feel you wasted your money - go buy a Nissan or Infiniti.

omnomnomnom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would have been ideal I caught it, sure. There is just a lot of things to be checking all up. I've learned quite a lesson here, I will increase dramatically the level of detail and type of checklist to verify taking delivery of a vehicle. I will also never sign for a vehicle w/o taking it home and doing a private inspection with no chatting and no influence of other people. I'll sleep on it and drive for a day from now on. I failed to do more than a 10mi test drive and 10min walkabout at the dealership.

My window sticker has the N/A note, but the build/order information I have does not note it - it states Level 1 + Tow w/o any addition information that would have been very useful.
RAM shouldn't depend on people checking 100s (I feel like that might not be hyperbole) of individual vehicle aspects to make sure it is what they expected on order. Order systems that delete features should be programmed to declare them and get confirmation, which is typical actually they do this very well.

Dissatisfaction on $68k MSRP vehicles is an issue no matter if fault can be divided between all parties. RAM's job now is to make sure their NPS on this new venture is good enough to make money, sounds from this forum all up the excitement is overshadowed.

I'm just looking to this forum to hear results others are getting on the topic. There are quite a few distinct stories up and I haven't heard much of resolutions except that little bit of money.

Anyone know if I should keep miles off the truck in case things go really far south?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know, I have not heard any resolutions besides this refund. If you choose to take that battle - keep us posted with results, but I don't think it would worth the headache.

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran into the exact same issue with my truck. I went back to the dealer and complained and they gave me a brand new truck with the 360 cameras. The garbage tow mirrors aren't worth the trade off. Not only do they look kind of stupid, you even lose power folding abilities with them.

Dealer swapped the truck for me without even a hesitation, 15 mins later I signed papers and they had it sent for detailing.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran into the exact same issue with my truck. I went back to the dealer and complained and they gave me a brand new truck with the 360 cameras. The garbage tow mirrors aren't worth the trade off. Not only do they look kind of stupid, you even lose power folding abilities with them.

Dealer swapped the truck for me without even a hesitation, 15 mins later I signed papers and they had it sent for detailing.

Do you tow? I wouldn’t say the mirrors are garbage.... I can actually see behind my boat with the mirrors and cannot with standard. Wish they were folding but the trade off is worth it IMO

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I didn't have tow mirrors on my F150 but used **** clip on mirrors which worked fine with my enclosed car trailer I wasn't giving up the 360° camera system so I will go with **** again once they release them. I'm actually going to see what it's like towing with the standard mirrors once I get back in Florida. Between the convex corners and blindspot I hope I won't need them

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you tow? I wouldn’t say the mirrors are garbage.... I can actually see behind my boat with the mirrors and cannot with standard. Wish they were folding but the trade off is worth it IMO

IMO they are absolute garbage when compared to my F150 tow mirrors (not to mention F150 tow mirrors retain all power and 360 cameras). They look so out of place on this truck; they're long and just look very awkward. For such a high price truck the tow mirrors were very clearly a last second "oh ****" afterthought.

I'm just using clip on mirrors for towing since I can at least take those off when I'm not and have normal/proportional looking mirrors.

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone explored if it is possible to remove the Tow mirrors and replace them with the regular mirrors with the surround camera? That is assuming that the front-view camera is still in place. Wondering if the harness is there - likely would need some bits twiddled in the computer.

I'm coming from a F150 Platinum that had this feature and I found it very nice - a must, no, but for the price of these trucks..... I am finding some inventory out there that has what I want on a Limited - (33 gal tank, etc), but pretty much everything with that size tank has the tow mirrors. Of course I could order one, but would like to make a deal for something on-lot if it could be as simple as ordering mirrors and swapping....

omnomnomnom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone explored if it is possible to remove the Tow mirrors and replace them with the regular mirrors with the surround camera? That is assuming that the front-view camera is still in place. Wondering if the harness is there - likely would need some bits twiddled in the computer.

I'm coming from a F150 Platinum that had this feature and I found it very nice - a must, no, but for the price of these trucks..... I am finding some inventory out there that has what I want on a Limited - (33 gal tank, etc), but pretty much everything with that size tank has the tow mirrors. Of course I could order one, but would like to make a deal for something on-lot if it could be as simple as ordering mirrors and swapping....

Gets asked a lot, there is no path to restore the features for now from what I have gathered online and off.

After market company might fill it in someday.

At least you're not in the **** boat a ton of people are catching it on orders or delivery. If I had to guess there will be a whole lot more people who it will finally **** them off after they park it the first time tight and go to fold them.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My father in Law thought he was getting the Surround View because it was on the sticker, was actually excited to have it. after a month of trying to figure out how to use the damn thing, found it it wasn't installed.

He doesn't want the money, he wants what was on the sticker and would like for Ram to make this right.

Keep in mind if the option is on the window sticker as an included option and the option is not on the truck you have a strong case, in other words, you are in charge. In the states, the window sticker is a sales contract that your dealer has a responsibility to honor. The dealer may have an issue with RAM, but not the retail purchaser since the sale was between you and the dealer. Dealer's are famous for referring you to the manufacturer.

If your FIL wants this option on his truck, go to your dealer and request a buy-back and get the truck with the option he wanted. If your dealer resists, request a meeting with the RAM area rep. If that fails, contact a lemon law attorney in your state.