2019 towing rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so seeing the Powertrain is untouched ,what was done do to the 19”s to up the towing 2K #s to 12,000 lbs ?

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am guessing frame, axels and suspension has quite a bit to do with it.

But i have no actual knowledge of what made it better. The 4th gen sure is a pos when is comes to towing and specially payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
six bolt wheels equals heavier axles ,an upgraded tranny , variable rate rear springs and I would assume heavier rated. also they reduced the weight by 225 lbs that all adds up to more payload up to 2340 lbs and more towing with the new hybrid version.oh and the gvwr has been raised to 7100 lbs as well.

OP
OP
Factory

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am guessing frame, axels and suspension has quite a bit yo do with it.

But i have no actual knowledge of what made it better. The 4th gen sure is a pos when is comes to towing or payload.

Payload w could yes

Added hellwig sway , air bags and 12,000lb. Sway/load leveling hitch ,amazed how well it handles my 35’ 9750 gvw trailer
six bolt wheels equals heavier axles ,an upgraded tranny , variable rate rear springs and I would assume heavier rated. also they reduced the weight by 225 lbs that all adds up to more payload up to 2340 lbs and more towing with the new hybrid version.oh and the gvwr has been raised to 7100 lbs as well.

I heard E torque has nothing to do with the increased towing capability ‍♂️

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I was thinking the E torque is for assisted take off in first gear for a Load and helps to increase MPG. I just wonder what change was made to have the E-locker on the 4wd units?

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Payload w could yes

Added hellwig sway , air bags and 12,000lb. Sway/load leveling hitch ,amazed how well it handles my 35’ 9750 gvw trailer

I heard E torque has nothing to do with the increased towing capability ‍♂️

Im sure your upgraded parts help. But liability wise still the same. The truck is too heavy, and gcw is too low. 6900 is nothing when most other trucks are at around 7200.

I dont get why the 4th gens are so low, the frame and axels seem pretty beefy to me!

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Common gvwr went from 6,900 to 7,100. The 4th gen 8 speed tows great but needs WDH / truck & trailer weight distributed properly between the axles according to Cat scale results as does everybodys pickup. I've towed many 8k TTs with a 33' floorplan with a good built in sway control WDH and some axle to frame air bags to the tune of 430,000 miles. To say the 4th gen doesnt tow well because the factory rear springs are a lil too soft only means you were not setting your load up via scale results.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Common gvwr went from 6,900 to 7,100. The 4th gen 8 speed tows great but needs WDH / truck & trailer weight distributed properly between the axles according to Cat scale results as does everybodys pickup. I've towed many 8k TTs with a 33' floorplan with a good built in sway control WDH and some axle to frame air bags to the tune of 430,000 miles. To say the 4th gen doesnt tow well because the factory rear springs are a lil too soft only means you were not setting your load up via scale results.

Thanks for the informative reply.

I have no experience towing with the ram, my concern is the liability aspect of the low rating. I am sure the truck can tow just as much as the Chevys and Fords.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Well A current scale slip not only provides safety & stability, can take an out of spec load to in spec through adjustments but also gives you the proof you would want should something outrageous happen.

Zeronet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new Ram has bigger brakes, 4” longer wheelbase, upgraded axles, stronger frame, progressive rate springs, weight loss of 225lbs (which also increases payload) and improved aerodynamics. I’m sure all of these changes contribute to the increased tow rating.

As far as eTorque goes, we can see from the towing chart that the highest tow rating goes to the NON eTorque Hemi. So the eTorque actually REDUCES towing capacity. I believe eTorque is designed to improve MPG and will contribute little to towing and acceleration performance. It only provides additional torque at engine speeds below 2000rpm; possibly below 1500rpm depending on which Ram engineer you listen to.

With the eTorque Hemi being rated lower in towing than the NON eTorque version I can only assume that it doesn’t even provide enough performance improvement to overcome the 80lb weight of the system. It definitely reduces payload according to the chart.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new Ram has bigger brakes, 4” longer wheelbase, upgraded axles, stronger frame, progressive rate springs, weight loss of 225lbs (which also increases payload) and improved aerodynamics. I’m sure all of these changes contribute to the increased tow rating.

As far as eTorque goes, we can see from the towing chart that the highest tow rating goes to the NON eTorque Hemi. So the eTorque actually REDUCES towing capacity. I believe eTorque is designed to improve MPG and will contribute little to towing and acceleration performance. It only provides additional torque at engine speeds below 2000rpm; possibly below 1500rpm depending on which Ram engineer you listen to.

With the eTorque Hemi being rated lower in towing than the NON eTorque version I can only assume that it doesn’t even provide enough performance improvement to overcome the 80lb weight of the system. It definitely reduces payload according to the chart.

Nice Information looks to be a much Stronger truck with great improvements. I'm hearing the 4 corner suspension reacts much faster on the 19 as well. Just wondering if the Etorque was intended for heavier pull take off only in addition to fuel efficiency? That would be worth the extra expense and a small reduction in tow capacity. Torque is really needed when pulling a trailer in Gravel,Grass,and of course wet concrete boat ramps at very low to idle speeds.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I bought one last week. a Laramie 4x4 CCSB 5.7 with 3.92's. The springs dont look any dif. from my son's 2017 and the payload sticker on the door shows 100# less capacity than the 2017 sierra with all the same equip. that I traded in so I dont know what they added that used up the 225 extra pounds capacity they advertise. the payload is the same as on my son's 2017. my sierra had 6 lug wheels and same payload but I am going to like the 5.7 hemi and 3.92's for towing my trailer. I will find out pretty soon if I am going to have to add airbags.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought one last week. a Laramie 4x4 CCSB 5.7 with 3.92's. The springs dont look any dif. from my son's 2017 and the payload sticker on the door shows 100# less capacity than the 2017 sierra with all the same equip. that I traded in so I dont know what they added that used up the 225 extra pounds capacity they advertise. the payload is the same as on my son's 2017. my sierra had 6 lug wheels and same payload but I am going to like the 5.7 hemi and 3.92's for towing my trailer. I will find out pretty soon if I am going to have to add airbags.

I since picked up my 19 Laramie in Early August that was on order when I made the post. I traded in my 2014 Laramie both 5.7 with 392 Gears.
I got the air suspension which was same on the 14 both trucks 5.7 beds crew cabs. The difference from the 14 to the 19 is 6 lugs instead of 5 lug, e-locker and the E-torque on the motor. The 2014 had pull Capacity of 9800 Lbs and pulled 8400 lbs Camper just fine with it. The new 19 has 11600 pull Capacity. Have not pulled the Camper with the 19 yet but the 19 is different than the 14 quite a bit. Ride is different,shocks are different,Air Suspension is much faster,I really like the Power running boards with the power tail gate!

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
well I towed my app. 6000# trailer this week...total rig wt. including me and wife and trailer and gear 11,540# and it pulled fine but felt like it was quite a load. doubt if I will ever go bigger. mostly flat roads with only small hills. speed 68ish. great brakes and good power with 5.7 and 3.92 rear end. lots louder than my sierra was and there was a little shimmy in the rear, so will probably swap to the hellwig sway bar as some have. I'm happy with my decision to change trucks.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
added the hellwig 7709 sway bar yesterday using the center holes to start out with. towing out to Palo Duro canyon from DFW tomorrow so I will find out if the upgrade was worth the 200$. easy project to do in about 1/2 hour for those that are considering it.

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
added the hellwig 7709 sway bar yesterday using the center holes to start out with. towing out to Palo Duro canyon from DFW tomorrow so I will find out if the upgrade was worth the 200$. easy project to do in about 1/2 hour for those that are considering it.
Just got back from a weekend trip with our travel trailer. Towing for the first time with the truck. I’m gonna need the rear swar bar and bigger rims. I have the 18” wheels. Let me tell you, the rear of the truck was very loose. Going around turns and down the highway wasn’t so confident. I had the weight dist hitch and sway control.

TT was 3500lbs at 22feet. The 2g Honda ridgeline I traded in for this ram felt more composed when towing the same trailer. I’m moving up to a bigger and heavier trailer soon that why I got the ram.

I will be getting the rear sway bar and bigger wheels if I’m going to tow a bigger.

Oh btw, that Hellwig part number fits the 19’?

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I just got back from trip from dfw to palo duro canyon and back after adding the Hellwig sway bar. fought a quartering cross wind the whole way and I would say the sway bar upgrade made an improvement over oem. I have the adjustment on the center holes.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
hksvr4, I tow TTs commercially for the Mfgs plant to dealerships nationwide. 490,000 miles on my 14 Ram Ecodiesel. Make sure you have proper sized WDH with built in sway control. Then take your wet trailer to the scales and adjust your hitch and loading until you have replaced your unloaded trucks steer axle weight and also to get your tongue weight close as you reasonably can to 12.5%. Tongue weight percentage determined by subtracting unloaded truck weight scale slip numbers from truck with trailer scale slip numbers then dividing that into the gross trailer weight.

This will make your tow rig safe and stable much more than all the other lil tricks put together. Sway bar or wider rims would only be icing on the cake. As would better tires or airbags such as Timbergroves if you don't already have factory air suspension.

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
My understanding is Etorque is for mileage its used mostly such as leaving a dead stop where it provides torque to get you moving in place of the engine until the engine torque replaces it in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range. Its not more or additional torque its just sooner and fuel free until motor torque takes over. The fact that it adds 80lbs is the only reason it lessens the remaining payload or tow capacity.

With the low first gear and always in power band 8 speed quick short step gears changes we have plenty of leverage to get weight moving quick easy and smooth even with only the 3.21 & Pentastar. With the 3.92 and low rpm torque of the Ecodiesel she will walk a big boat out of the water and up the ramp and never need to cross 2,200 rpms. 5 lug wheels were never the weak link so changing to the 6 lug was rather moot but the ford & chevy guys tried to use it as a take away so then there is that.

Last edited:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My understanding is Etorque is for mileage its used mostly such as leaving a dead stop where it provides torque to get you moving in place of the engine until the engine torque replaces it in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range. Its not more or additional torque its just sooner and fuel free until motor torque takes over. The fact that it adds 80lbs is the only reason it lessens the remaining payload or tow capacity.

With the low first gear and always in power band 8 speed quick short step gears changes we have plenty of leverage to get weight moving quick easy and smooth even with only the 3.21 & Pentastar. With the 3.92 and low rpm torque of the Ecodiesel she will walk a big boat out of the water and up the ramp and never need to cross 2,200 rpms. 5 lug wheels were never the weak link so changing to the 6 lug was rather moot but the ford & chevy guys tried to use it as a take away so then there is that.

The E-torque also helps with braking while towing as well. I could tell the difference immediately vs the 3.92 in the 2014 Ram over the 2019 in braking.