2019 V6 Pentastar Classic / Blue Engine Coolant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
Hey guys,
I recently had my Ram in for maintenance and they topped up all the fluids. I looked at the coolant reservoir just now and it is blue in colour and looks strangely like Windshield Washer.

Do you know if there is a blue coolant that the dealers use for this model?

Thanks
Take Care

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey guys,
I recently had my Ram in for maintenance and they topped up all the fluids. I looked at the coolant reservoir just now and it is blue in colour and looks strangely like Windshield Washer.

Do you know if there is a blue coolant that the dealers use for this model?

Thanks
Take Care
I don't believe so but the windshield washer reservoir is very similar to the coolant reservoir. Are you sure you're looking in the right one?

If they did add to the wrong one they owe you a flush and fill and I wouldn't let them do it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Was in a Black tub with a dip stick ?Passenger side ?Washer fluid on Drivers side ! If so on mine that is for anti freeze as you can barely see antifreeze, The washer fluid you can see in the tub.

OP
OP
TheDude266

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
I don't believe so but the windshield washer reservoir is very similar to the coolant reservoir. Are you sure you're looking in the right one?

If they did add to the wrong one they oh you a flush and fill and I wouldn't let them do it.

Thanks,
Yes, looking at the right one.
Take Care

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks,
Yes, looking at the right one.
Take Care
I am a little confused, Easy because I am old lol.
Do you mean you are looking at the tank on the Right side ? (Drivers side )
Or you were right and looking at the tank on the left side (Passenger Side)
FYI I had to go out in the snow and look at mine lol

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's funny this was mentioned. I just put washer fluid in my coolant reservoir the other day because I wasn't paying attention. I pulled the grill and removed the reservoir and drained it. Felt stupid for doing it but at least I noticed it before I started the truck. Not sure if it would hurt anything in the long run but I wasn't sure what type of reaction it would have with the coolant but I poured in quite a bit before I noticed it was the wrong one so figured better safe than sorry.......yes I know there is a picture of a radiator on the yellow cap. It was dark and I had just topped of the wife's car so figured I would empty the container. Just had a brain fart.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
It's funny this was mentioned. I just put washer fluid in my coolant reservoir the other day because I wasn't paying attention. I pulled the grill and removed the reservoir and drained it. Felt stupid for doing it but at least I noticed it before I started the truck. Not sure if it would hurt anything in the long run but I wasn't sure what type of reaction it would have with the coolant but I poured in quite a bit before I noticed it was the wrong one so figured better safe than sorry.......yes I know there is a picture of a radiator on the yellow cap. It was dark and I had just topped of the wife's car so figured I would empty the container. Just had a brain fart.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
I almost did that myself not long after I got my RAM lol , And I still have to check to be sure before I top off the windshield washer tank lol Why does RAM use a Black tank for antifreeze instead of translucent ? Easier to look at the level through the tank then try with that stupid dip stick :O

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Uv protection ?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Uv protection ?
That is a possibility but they could at least leave a viewing window in it if that is the reason. You can not even shine a light through it to see the level. !

OP
OP
TheDude266

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
Was in a Black tub with a dip stick ?Passenger side ?Washer fluid on Drivers side ! If so on mine that is for anti freeze as you can barely see antifreeze, The washer fluid you can see in the tub.

It is strange because most vehicles have it reversed to this set-up and that is why I am thinking maybe the mechanic when "topping" up the fluids place WW in the coolant reservoir by mistake.

Thanks

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drew a red X on my coolant reservoir cap so I don’t mess with it.

My 17 had purple coolant... reservoir was empty on delivery too. I gave up trying to find a match and bough a gallon from the dealer. Glad I did, as it spec’d a different PN for Canadian trucks vs US... don’t mess with mixing these coolants. None of them play nice with each other.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
You made me go outside in the sn
It is strange because most vehicles have it reversed to this set-up and that is why I am thinking maybe the mechanic when "topping" up the fluids place WW in the coolant reservoir by mistake.

Thanks

You made me go outside to check my Chevy HR for washer fluid location . :O Yup left side lol I never noticed that before !
At least our overflow tank has the dip stick installed ! But if he put WW fluid in the anti freeze that needs to be pumped out, and if go in the system I agree should be flushed,
Our coolant IS NOT Blue

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to home depot and purchased a 1/4in wood dowel 16in long used the plastic stick to mark it for the Hi/low level, I cant read that plastic dip stick the A/F runs down it to quick, I take it out of the tank when not needed, marked it with a paint stick.

OP
OP
TheDude266

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
Hi Guys,
This is getting strange. I didn't drive it today at all and yesterday was when I saw the top portion of the coolant reservoir was definitely blue like windshield washer. Today, I opened the hood and the blue is gone and when I pulled up the white plastic "dip stick" it was pink. But, this is on my driveway now.
5OS4q4G.png

I will call the dealer but I don't get this. Also, everything I have read about WW in the Coolant reservoir indicates that it is just water and alcohol and should not affect anything but I believe like you guys, that you don't know how it will react.

Man, frustrating. Just bad timing with Christmas upon us.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for helping me. I really do appreciate it.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi Guys,
This is getting strange. I didn't drive it today at all and yesterday was when I saw the top portion of the coolant reservoir was definitely blue like windshield washer. Today, I opened the hood and the blue is gone and when I pulled up the white plastic "dip stick" it was pink. But, this is on my driveway now.
5OS4q4G.png

I will call the dealer but I don't get this. Also, everything I have read about WW in the Coolant reservoir indicates that it is just water and alcohol and should not affect anything but I believe like you guys, that you don't know how it will react.

Man, frustrating. Just bad timing with Christmas upon us.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for helping me. I really do appreciate it.
You could possibly perform a test to see if the WW fluid sinks in your AF. You could also see how they interact. These newer coolants can form thick, rubbery, slimey chunks when mixed with the wrong fluid. You may get some piece of mind by mixing it yourself in a water bottle to see what happens.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So I have to ask, is this the kool-aid used in our trucks or WW fluid?
IMG_20201220_235117589.jpg

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I went to home depot and purchased a 1/4in wood dowel 16in long used the plastic stick to mark it for the Hi/low level, I cant read that plastic dip stick the A/F runs down it to quick, I take it out of the tank when not needed, marked it with a paint stick.

The dipstick has holes in it, and the coolant will remain in those holes.

By the way I came close to putting window washer fluid in my coolant reservoir, because my old Ford pickup had the windshield washer fluid in the same spot as RAM has the coolant reservoir. Would be nice if the manufacturers would standardize this.