2019 Warlock Crewcab Towing Rockwood ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jink8901

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all new to forum, have some questions specific to what I'm potentially looking at purchasing for a trailer and whether or not the dreaded payload issue will be of concern. Tow vehicle is 2019 Warlock Crew cab 5.7, 3.92 rear. Max Payload sticker is 1227 LBS. Potential purchase of a 2022 Rockwood 2516S. The GVWR on the trailer sticker is 7,772 LBS with a max tongue weight of 772 LBS giving approximately 10%. Yellow dry weight sticker on trailer is 6,253, 10% gives a dry unloaded hitch weight of 625 LBS. Weight distribution hitch will be used and I also currently have Boss load assist airbags installed. What are thoughts on this pairing? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
J

Jink8901

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factory trailer brake installed in truck as well, all the weights came from the stickers on both the trailer and tow vehicle. Not off any advertised weights.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Realistically you'll see tongue weights in the 12-15% range. Dry weight does not include propane, batteries, all your stuff that gets loaded forward of the axles. Let's just say 12% of 7000 lbs, which is 840 lbs of tongue weight. Add in a 100# WDH, you're now at 940 lbs. That's before you even add yourself, other family members and any cargo to your truck.

In my opinion, that truck is not suited for towing that trailer.

A trailer in the 5000-6000 lb loaded range with a lighter WDH, like the Andersen, would keep things in check.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Realistically you'll see tongue weights in the 12-15% range. Dry weight does not include propane, batteries, all your stuff that gets loaded forward of the axles. Let's just say 12% of 7000 lbs, which is 840 lbs of tongue weight. Add in a 100# WDH, you're now at 940 lbs. That's before you even add yourself, other family members and any cargo to your truck.

In my opinion, that truck is not suited for towing that trailer.

A trailer in the 5000-6000 lb loaded range with a lighter WDH, like the Andersen, would keep things in check.
I agree

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Your tongue should be 10 to 12% of the loaded trailer. If you are tongue heavy you should move things behind the trailer axle if tongue light move things forward. But it should end 10 - 12% . IT is actually quite easy to get there with a little planning. I towed my Denali all over the place without any issues.

S0 looking at your specs, your dry weight is 6253, lets look at this as light as possible. I would say you are at 6350 with propane, realistically then you add in your stuff to the trailer. How light can you travel? Let's use 550 as a good load out for a week. Now you are at 6900lbs trailer weight. Add in 85lbs for the hitch off payload.

That is 690 on the lightest hitch weight. Let's assume you hit 750 - I bet you can get closer to 700 but I will use 750. Leaves you 477 Payload - 84 for the hitch so just under 400 (450 if you get closer to 700 hitch weight). Not sure the weight of passengers but are they more than 400 (450)? Assuming you are within that and the 550 cargo is all you needed the you are good to go.

Let's throw a wrench in the logic, Lets say you needed more than 550 cargo, lets use the max 7750 (we will leave a little on the table), now you have almost 1500lbs of cargo in the trailer (that is a freaking LOT of cargo - I will include 100lbs of propane in this) now you are at 775 on the tongue (light side). So tongue 775 - 1227 = 452 - 84 = 368 allowed in the truck (remember that is full tank of gas and as you travel the number goes up 8lbs per gallon or every 8 to 10 miles :)

S0 do you and the people weigh more than 368? If not you should be good to go. Just remember you do not need anything in the truck since you have 1500lbs of stuff in the trailer. Now of that 368, I will say humans, pets cell phones... weight them. Keep it light and you should be good to go.

Up to you.

You will be close, maybe over depending on human sizes. And obviously a Freightliner would tow it better.

Double check my math but you see where I am going with this

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
In a perfect world only are you going to get 10% tongue weight. On all the TT's I've owned almost everything that is loaded in to the trailer is over or forward of the axles. The storage compartments where you put your heavy stuff is near the front. I'd literally have to take everything out of my cabinets, storage, clothes, toiletries, everything and pile it on the sofas at the rear of my TT to get to 10% tongue weight. Which is why 12-15% is more realistic. At 12-15% it is not tongue heavy.

And don't forget battery(s). Your standard G27 deep cycle weighs about 70-90 lbs, depending on brand.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have had 3 trailers now and never had a problem getting them to 10%, I guess it depends on the layout.

I would consider myself someone that travels lite compared to lots of campers I have run into. It seems lots of people feel the need to load up to the max on crap.

My point was, if he wants that trailer and can make the math work he will be fine. And it looks like he will be close. Two 20lb tanks? Take one off - saves ~40lbs, buy an ultralight battery, they are stupid light, save another 40lbs. He could easily be well below 100lbs on the tongue with those 2 options.

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Don't forget drinking water @ 8.34 lbs per gallon. Waste & gray water even more.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't forget drinking water @ 8.34 lbs per gallon. Waste & gray water even more.
If he is roughing it, then it will be an entirely different discussion. If not he would not have any of that onboard when traveling.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hi all new to forum, have some questions specific to what I'm potentially looking at purchasing for a trailer and whether or not the dreaded payload issue will be of concern. Tow vehicle is 2019 Warlock Crew cab 5.7, 3.92 rear. Max Payload sticker is 1227 LBS. Potential purchase of a 2022 Rockwood 2516S. The GVWR on the trailer sticker is 7,772 LBS with a max tongue weight of 772 LBS giving approximately 10%. Yellow dry weight sticker on trailer is 6,253, 10% gives a dry unloaded hitch weight of 625 LBS. Weight distribution hitch will be used and I also currently have Boss load assist airbags installed. What are thoughts on this pairing? Thanks in advance.
Ok, I have a few questions back :)

how long is the trip(s)? weekend, week, month, months,
full hookup? roughing it?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
A proper WDH setup will be important

Last edited:

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins

It's difficult to rely on the manufacturer's specs for tongue weight.
For example, my Grand Design trailer listed a tongue weight of 597 on the spec sheet. However, actual tongue weight off the assembly line was weighed as 660. That's over to start with.
Then when I weighed my rig at a CAT scale with only enough gear for a 3 night trip it was almost 1000.
At the time I had a 17 Ram 1500 with a payload of 1404. Trailer gross was 6550, or almost 1000 lb under capacity, and I was only a couple hundred lbs under GCWR.
Cleary I did not have the capacity for that trailer.
Hence the 2500 you see in my signature and now I don't have to worry if I buy a sweatshirt or hat when I'm on a trip.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
you will be over wt. as far as cargo capacity. my trailer is a freedom express 246rks marked by the factory as 4700#. in tow ready mode with a few clothes, food, cookware and so on it weighs 5600-5800# per cat scale. varies a few pounds per trip and we tow dry so you may be 1000# or more than the empty wt. I only pack a few things in the truck bed because with the trailer connected and the wife and I and our 2 dogs we max out the truck. 220+120+80+80 plus the 50# for wdh plus 600# for tongue wt. as for pulling this load, the truck is great at that, and these trucks have great brakes. you will just need to limit what goes in the truck. I have added airbags and a stiffer sway bar and I run a little more air in the tires to stiffen everything up. you might want to get a little lighter trailer to make the process less stressful.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very similar set up here both trailer and truck. Our Payload is a bit higher. The truck is always right at its payload. Everything is level with Equal-I-izer hitch. It tows great. No sway. No problem with hills east of the Mississippi. But, if I had to do it over again. Would do it differently. Good Luck.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I've had a commercial DL and towed 40' trailers cross country a number of times, plus lots of shorter 2-3 day trips. Hauling horses is not for the faint of heart. I'm retired now and have smaller camping trailers, currently a 16' Airstream Bambi, but that little pup still weights 3500 lbs. My Diesel GMC transmission crapped out (at 50,000 miles) out in California this summer and I could not get a replacement trans for weeks, so wound up with a 2021 gasser 3.6 Warlock. A few thoughts. First, naturally aspirated gas engines make most of their torque at higher rpms. This sucks in the mountains - you just have to sloooow down. I had a pretty miserable tow with the Warlock back to central Texas. It is too weak in the mountains and the wind. Second, I think a 2500, diesel if possible, would be much more appropriate for this towning if it is more than a couple hundred miles. Its better to run your rig at 50% or less of the max payload if you are on a major trip. As seen with my GMC, the engine could handle the work but the torque converter and transmission could not. There is more to a tow vehicle drivetrain than the ouput of the engine.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
A few questions first. How often ill you be towing this and how far? This will make a big difference in my response. If only a few times a year on shorter trips you should be fine if you are careful how you load it. If you will be towing hundreds of miles or even every weekend on shorter trips you may want a bigger truck or smaller trailer. Most of the explanations have been gone over so I will try to not repeat them but will give examples of my experience.
First, that advertised tongue weight will be way under your actual TW. 2nd, you will be quite a bit over the listed dry weight. My son has a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK that has an advertised dry weight of 6600lbs and advertised TW of 690lbs. We never weighed it empty but loaded up pretty heavy (he lived in it for work) it weighed 8100lbs and had 1000lbs TW with all tanks empty.
My step-son bought a 2021 GD Imagine 3250BH this spring. I towed it home for him and we weighed it off the dealer lot completely empty except the dealer left the 53 gallon fresh water tank full. The advertised dry weight was 8600lbs and advertised TW was 845lbs. We stopped about 5 miles down the road from the dealer and weighed it. Weight was 9300lbs and tongue weight was 1100lbs. Granted this was a much bigger trailer but the actual TW was 25-30% heavier than advertised.
12% is a more realistic number for loaded TW. You would likely be closer to 7000lbs loaded on trailer weight and about 800lbs actual TW. If you load the trailer up properly and add nothing to the truck but people then you may be ok. The only way to know for sure is to load up as you will be traveling and go to a CAT scale. Will the truck tow it? Yeah. Should have no issues. Will you be exceeding a few limits? Maybe