2020 1500 eTorque with terrible MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Black Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
5.7 e-torque
Miles Per Gallon! I have the 2020 Limited with eTorque and I can tell you that like others have mentioned you are trying to track the mileage too soon. I have over 5k and my mileage at 80 with the cruise set is averaging 19 to 20 and when i drive slower at at 73 i see it jump to 22 MPG. The early analysis of MPG had me exactly where you are. FYI I use this winter gas in NC from Costco so I am using 93 Octane....just letting you know which grade of gas I use. BTW I put some pure ethanol free 93 Octane in my truck and I could not believe how smooth and more responsive it was.

Give yourself more time for the mileage to learn your driving style and then you will see better results.

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m at 700 miles averaging 13.8 mpg. 3.92 gears, Hemi of course, and 33 gallon tank. I’ve had several Rams with the Hemi but this one is the worst with respect to mpg. No e torque.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I think it should be said that having a big V8, it's kind of hard not putting your foot into it from a green light. The excitement is worth a couple MPG every now and then. :)

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Also, doesn't the 5.7 require (or highly suggest) 89 or higher octane? If you're burning 87, which is the basic gas sold everywhere then you'd probably get lower MPG.

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
13 mpg over 700 miles

40AA703E-38B5-4E51-BB83-E81FEE104E1C.jpeg

Bobo58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys. First let me say i'm a F150 owner that has had three Ram trucks and all three have been great vehicles. I leased a 18 F150 XLT Super Crew 2WD two years ago. Its the 2.7 Ecoboost 10 speed and the reason I got it was because I like driving a full sized truck but I wanted better fuel economy than I had in my previous Ram trucks. The last one I had was a 14 RC 2wd sport with the 3.6. Great truck but I wanted more power. The 2.7 ecoboost is torquey and I get a little over 20 MPG city every day. Having said that I really like the new Ram 1500 and will be looking at a Crew Cab 2wd 1500 E Torque when this one go's back. Ive heard over and over again guy's say they dont care about fuel mileage or they didn't buy a truck for fuel mileage. If your getting 12 to 13 MPG and gas goes to $4 a gallon again you'll care then. If you tow and you need a a torquey V8 and 4WD your right it doesn't matter you need it you need it. But for just commuting or just enjoying the room and utility of a full sized truck mileage does matter. If i can get 17-18 mpg in town Im Ram bound. But it will have to be a hemi 2wd crew cab. I need to find a way to drive one for a week or so before I buy it to be sure, but I love the look of the new Ram 1500.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pretty meticulously track my mileage on all vehicles and I've personally never seen my mileage improve after the first few thousand miles on any vehicle I've owned in the last 10 years. I've also never seen one as far off as this Ram, and it's my 3rd Ram truck.

I will continue to track the mileage, but I'm not optimistic that it's going to improve. My biggest complaint is that I bought this truck to improve my range between fill ups. There's no convenient gas station to/from work for me. With the way things are now, the truck start yelling for gas after about 240 miles which is 40 miles earlier than my last truck which I traded in or exactly that reason. Now I'm in an even worse spot, which was unexpected based on the EPA stuff. I was realistically expecting 15 MPG in town, not expecting to be in the 12-13 MPG range.

My 6.4 has already gone up since bought, i used to struggle to keep 15 on hwy, now i get 15-16 and only have 2300 miles

slim chance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 eTorque
wife and i each have 2019 eTorque Rams ... see signature below ... first tank of gas we were getting 18mpg combined and as per the Fuelly stats am VERY happy with eTorque ... you all want to talk about stats here but do no list your trks specs in you signature ... hows that work .....

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
14.5 is the best i've gottern....I dang Tundra got better gas milage than this gas guzzler! ;o(

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have now had a winter on E rated 275/65R20 tires and I have about 2500 miles on a set of E rated 275/65R20 all terrain tires. Yes, my mileage went down from the Goodyear SRA's that came on the truck - but it's worth it for the safety and the utility, in my opinion.
I have a 5.7L Hemi with 3.21 gears. Last summer into fall I averaged about 19 with the SRA's at 39 PSI all around and I dropped into the 16-17 mpg range last Fall with change of tires, winter blend gas, and colder weather. This spring I installed the AT tires and the mileage is up, but only 17-18 mpg, running about 55 PSI all around. I think my mileage loss is from two different things: 1) SRA's are optimized for fuel economy over traction and wear (the E rated tires are on the average at least ten pounds heavier per tire), and 2) the series 65 tires raise the entire truck half an inch, exposing the not-so-smooth bottom of the truck to more turbulent wind drag. If I stay on the 55 mph two lane roads, I can get 19+ mpg, but when I take it on the freeway and use the rightmost pedal . . .

By the way, I find the ride with the higher pressures is almost as good as it was with the 60-series SRA's at 39 - but more composed. I have been grateful for that, because I have towed a lot more this spring than I expected when I bought the truck. I have wondered whether 285/60R20 E rated tires might (or might not) produce a little better fuel economy at highway speeds - but I'm happy with the compromise that I have.

By the way, my winter tires are Nokian LT3's and my AT tires are General Grabber ATX's

OP
OP
J

Jeff A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Just an update from the original poster here...

I’ve got 7k miles on it now. It’s very consistent 12-13 MPG in town. Highway is considerably better at 15-16 MPG. Nowhere near what the sticker advertised. I notice no difference if the eTorque is disabled.

I don’t tow anything with it, and I’ve not done any aftermarket mods. I’ve let my wife drive it for a few tanks and no difference. I took it in for service and they said nothing was wrong with it and the service manager told me he’s had quite a few people complain about the MPG and there’s nothing they can do about it.

If you’re in the market for one, I’d suggest you get one with the bigger gas tank if you don’t want to be at the gas station too often.

I’m sure there are lots of variables that affect mileage, but this particular truck of mine sucks for fuel efficiency. I feel mislead and probably wouldn’t have purchased it had I known the true MPG.

Another frustrating thing is finding people who actually have data and are willing to share it dispassionately. Too many replies to this thread are opinion with no supporting facts. A lot of people love their trucks and that’s great (I love everything about the truck except the MPG), but I couldn’t find much good data on the truck before I bought it.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Crossed 3k miles otw out to the mother-in-laws for mother's day. Roughly 200 miles eachway from South Jersey to bumfuck PA. Ninety percent of the drive is 74-77mph on the PA Tpk and the rest is rolling back country roads in the 40-55mph range. Nothing out there is flat..

Otw to bumfuck PA = Lie-o-meter 16.4 mpg / Actual 15.7mpg
Otw home = Lie-o-meter 17.7mpg / Actual 16.9mpg

The two best tanks I've had yet.

**89Oct

Bjammin101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got my truck a month or so ago and have just over 700 miles now and running 87 Octane in Houston. When driving around town I was shocked as I was only getting 13.3 mpg or so (during break-in period). My first road trip from Houston to Corpus with a strong headwind (15-20 mph), I was at 14.3 MPG doing 75-80 mph. On the way back I had little to no headwind and crossed the 600 mile mark and achieved 15.4 mpg at 75-80 mph all per the trip computer. I have not calculated it myself yet but from a video on TFL Truck, they were getting slightly better than the trip computer on their mpg testing so that may be something else to check.

Like most others, I am hoping this improves slightly as the truck breaks in. I have also started being more generous with the throttle and getting up to speed quicker rather than lugging the engine around "trying to save fuel". I have the Vararam air grabber intake on the way, mostly for sound and hopefully power, but also to see if it helps with MPG as some people claim. We shall see, but like others said, I didn't buy this for fuel economy. If I wanted that, I would have gone with the EcoDiesel like I had in my Grand Cherokee before.

Scott Kravitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just picked up my Limited today and with the 200 mile ride home, I can only say it sucks the gas @ 13.3 mpg all freeway. Hopefully, it gets better with time!

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Going back to my first Ram in the 1980’s with the old 318, the salesman told me to not calculate mileage until I had the engine loosened up with almost 10,000 to 12,000 miles on it. Best advice ever...

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope the mileage gets better for you guys. I'm getting 22+ out of mine with 25/75 city/hwy. I get closer to 20 with a 50/50 mix.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Best possible trio of tanks this truck could hope for...

Zero load, just me in the cab, 90% back country roads 35 - 55 mph, zero hills, driving as light footed as possible while maintaining speed.. best it could muster was 16.4-16.9mpg.. that's horrible :Frustrated: