2020 1500 eTorque with terrible MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best possible trio of tanks this truck could hope for...

Zero load, just me in the cab, 90% back country roads 35 - 55 mph, zero hills, driving as light footed as possible while maintaining speed.. best it could muster was 16.4-16.9mpg.. that's horrible :Frustrated:

Wow...

If I run 60-65 on the highway I can average between 26-27. Back roads in the 45 mph range tend to be about the same. 25 at worst.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best possible trio of tanks this truck could hope for...

Zero load, just me in the cab, 90% back country roads 35 - 55 mph, zero hills, driving as light footed as possible while maintaining speed.. best it could muster was 16.4-16.9mpg.. that's horrible :Frustrated:

I’m just curious but are you resetting that “lie-o-meter” whenever you fill up? I’ve heard both sides of the argument but I get better results from resetting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
I’m just curious but are you resetting that “lie-o-meter” whenever you fill up? I’ve heard both sides of the argument but I get better results from resetting it.

Hand calculated everytime.

Lie-o-meter (reset everytime) is claiming about 1/2 to 3/4 mpg optimistic.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hand calculated everytime.

Lie-o-meter (reset everytime) is claiming about 1/2 to 3/4 mpg optimistic.

This may be a really big stretch but do you have that auto four-wheel drive? If ya do, do you drive it in 4-Auto a lot?

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
This may be a really big stretch but do you have that auto four-wheel drive? If ya do, do you drive it in 4-Auto a lot?

Good thought, but she's in 2wd all the time. Might of used auto 4wd 3 times this past winter in the snow.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thought, but she's in 2wd all the time. Might of used auto 4wd 3 times this past winter in the snow.

Hmm, i dunno. I dont know why your mileage is bad. How’s your air filter? Is it clean? Do you drive a lot of dirt roads?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Hmm, i dunno. I dont know why your mileage is bad. How’s your air filter? Is it clean? Do you drive a lot of dirt roads?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, no dirt roads and the filter should be clean.

I'm not alone. There's plenty of other ppl with the Etrq getting **** mileage, with no known reasons. Atleast it seems to have come up from the low 15's I was getting..

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, no dirt roads and the filter should be clean.

I'm not alone. There's plenty of other ppl with the Etrq getting **** mileage, with no known reasons. Atleast it seems to have come up from the low 15's I was getting..

Is there anyway to turn that etorque off?

Bjammin101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think this is an etorq issue. etorq only helps off the line anyways and then is basically non-existent after that. I don't have etorq and my average has yet to creep over 16 mpg...Although I am reserving some judgement since I have been doing a lot of city driving since I am still working from home and only at 910 miles on the odometer... Vararam intake is now installed too so will see if that ends up helping anything. Next road trip will be 4th of July weekend.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wow...

If I run 60-65 on the highway I can average between 26-27. Back roads in the 45 mph range tend to be about the same. 25 at worst.

How much do you get paid from FCA?

Maybe on some forums you can get away with it, but on here - there is no one that is eating that "stuff".

Then again, what are you driving - a Prius?

Seriously. According to your profile you have a 5.7 ET. THERE IS NO WAY you are getting the mileage you are claiming. I call a greatly mis-calibrated computer, lack of understanding of how to hand-calculate or a hoax.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
380 mile trip yesterday... all interstate, Interstate 26 and 40, crossed some mountains.

75 - 80 mph most of the way.... hand calculated 20.3 mpg.

2018 1500 4x4 Big Horn, 3.92 rear end, 3800 miles on it....not an E Torque though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rabbit929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque Hemi
2020 Rebel, 3.92 gears with 5.7 ETorque.
Bounces anywhere between 15-18 depending on the gas and elevation.
I got 21 in the mountains. 0.0 800 miles, solid 21mpg.

the ETorque shines in city driving. You won’t see it on your mpg, but you burn almost nothing on decel, absolutely nothing anytime you stop, you’ll genuinely just notice you use less gas to do the same tasks. But it won’t show on your mpg because it’s mainly active for starting and stopping and reducing acceleration loads. the benefits of ETorque are mostly in the drivability, instead of milage. Though both are highly beneficial.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
2020 Rebel, 3.92 gears with 5.7 ETorque.
Bounces anywhere between 15-18 depending on the gas and elevation.
I got 21 in the mountains. 0.0 800 miles, solid 21mpg.

the ETorque shines in city driving. You won’t see it on your mpg, but you burn almost nothing on decel, absolutely nothing anytime you stop, you’ll genuinely just notice you use less gas to do the same tasks. But it won’t show on your mpg because it’s mainly active for starting and stopping and reducing acceleration loads. the benefits of ETorque are mostly in the drivability, instead of milage. Though both are highly beneficial.

...if you use less gas.. it'll show up in your mpg. That's kind of how it works.

While I'll agree it does better in stop and go (what it was primarily designed for) it seems to be worse for Hwy... which is what I mainly drive. According to RAM's website and EPA ratings, it's supposed to be the same as the standard RAM Hemi, without ETrq, on the Hwy. Mine is not.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I almost feel these threads should be banned from forum boards. LOL

Seriously though - there are so many variables that effect mileage that it is almost impossible for an owner to use what another person gets for comparison. Period. Cars reduce these variables in that they don't offer crew cabs, short beds, long beds, different gears, 4wd, 2wd, weight variations, etc that greatly influence mileage. Throw in other factors like driving style, elevation, fuel grade, temps, terrain.......its still crazy to compare. It is amusing to see you guys compare numbers though like its some sort of competition and the winner gets to keep the MPG trophy in their garage for the month. It truly make me laugh out loud. Its a truck. Drive it, use it, and enjoy it! :)

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Those of you getting terrible mpg I doubt it is an e torque problem

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very true about the gas a person uses...
I only use Shell Premium.

I have a Shell gas card so between the discount the card gets me and the better mileage from the Premium (only about 5% ethanol in V Power), it evens out in the end.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Maybe on some forums you can get away with it, but on here - there is no one that is eating that "stuff".

Seriously. According to your profile you have a 5.7 ET. THERE IS NO WAY you are getting the mileage you are claiming. I call a greatly mis-calibrated computer, lack of understanding of how to hand-calculate or a hoax.

Not getting checks from anyone and I know how to use a calculator. My dash is usually about 1 mpg optimistic. Thanks for assuming I have no idea what I'm talking about though. I honestly don't care if you believe me or not. Was just adding my experience since it was significantly different than the OP.

I think it goes without saying that I don't drive like I'm 20 minutes late everywhere I go. I don't take off from stoplights like a bat out of hell or do 75-80 mph on the highway, but I don't drive like a grandpa either. That's why I prefaced my highway mpg with the fact that I'm going around 65. If I bump it to 70 it drops to 21-22 mpg and is exponentially worse the faster I go.

Just because your mileage is crap doesn't mean everyone else's is.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Just drove from South Jersey to Greensboro, NC, drove around down there, and then the trip back. 99.9% Hwy in the 55 - 70 mph speed limit range (62mph - 79mph cruise setting) I sat in the right lane with the auto cruise on for most of the trip. (89 Oct / filled up the night before we left)

- tank #1 - 17.13 mpg (hand calc) zero traffic, 3/4 of the drive from south Jersey to NC on this tank, 3 adults, 1 baby, and a bed full of mostly babystuff for a 4 day stay.

- tank #2 - 15.97 mpg (hand calc) zero traffic, last 1/4 of the drive to NC she was avg 18.9mpg on the dash.. but drove around the rest of the tank going to dinners, wedding, etc and idled ALOT keeping the baby / wife cool while we were waiting for people to arrive / get ready to leave / etc. Same 3 adults, one baby, but next to nothing in the bed.

- tank #3 - 17.45 mpg (hand calc & best tank I've had so far) this entire tank was driving through NC to about Richmond, VA when we stopped for lunch / diaper change :baby:. Speed limits was mostly 60 - 70mph (67mph - 77mph cruise setting), zero traffic.

- tank #4 - 18.7 mpg :boxed: (lie-O-meter) *have not filled up yet, but this tank is surprising the **** out of me. We hit a **** ton of traffic, literally right after filling up and getting back on the road. It took us 6+ hours to get from just north of Richmond, VA to South Jersey.. should have taken us 3 1/2 - 4hrs.. traffic was BAD! I let the auto cruise do it's thing for most of the drive... and with the Etrq / MDS / A-S-S constantly engaging and disengaging with all the acceleration > slow down > acceleration > slow down > stop, etc the mileage actually went up.. it'll be interesting to see what the hand calc comes out to when I fill up later this week.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's no need to act like a troll and bait people into an argument.

Look.....correct me if I'm wrong, but all makes/models are subjected to the federal government's MPG test with the accessories (options) that will get the maximum efficiency during said trials. High rear gearing, best tranny, best tires, etc.

In the end, the city/hwy rating is the AVERAGE of what the feds found during the tests. Yes, that means high and low performing vehicles. Let's face it: they may be mass produced, but they are HARDLY the same vehicle from one to the other. Castings, drag from bearings, poor tires....you name it. It's been that way since we started building automobiles.

Some items that cause lower MPG includes, but not limited to:

Type of tires used (I have Nexxans street design tires....does anybody else? (on a side query)).
Rear gearing (of course)
Size of tires
Calibration of fuel/air tuning
Cam lift and duration
Air efficiency in plenum
Head casting
Poor quality of spark plugs, and therefore poor flame travel in the combustion chambers
Any air drag (imperfect sealing or alignment of windows/doors/hood/etc)
Any physical drag (ex. poorly designed tires)
Gasoline purity
Hard driving (some may call their driving as 'soft', but in reality they are trying to keep up with the surrounding idiots in traffic)

Also:
Terrain (I live in mostly flat, florida land....but with a few rises and dips)
Rise in elevations on daily route
Humidity
Elevation (ex. Denver), which will give you more air (lower elevations) or less (higher).
Outside temperature
...and many others

I sympathize for all you who have lower-than-average of the feds city/hwy average. I had a POS Santa Fe that did the same thing. 2.0 Turbo engine that could never attain the 20/27 average they put up. Best ever for it was 19-22.5 ON THE HIGHWAY. Then, like many other Hyundai engines from that time period....it blew up all on its own. Hyundai replaced it (long story...just search for it if you want to read up about it), and the new engine could hit 20/25 for city/hwy. To tell you the truth, it seems the only way out of a poorly running Hemi (or any engine/car for that matter) is to just trade it back in. That's hard to swallow, yeah. I really doubt you will get it resolved through Chrysler.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I agree 100% only way he can get 26 or 27 is downhill where you reset at top of hill and read gauge at bottom of hill. period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye