2020 1500 - whining noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peeceejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 Laramie 1500 with about 25k on the clock.

In the last few weeks, I've started to hear a whining noise, that is getting more obvious. It matches the revs of the engine, and is a high pitched hum or whine - nothing metallic sounding.

My local garage had it in for a routine service and checked out the steering pump, but it doesn't change with steering wheel input, so they feel it may be the alternator - maybe the e-torque system?

It's due to go into the dealership for a warrantee repair in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, I have some scheduled road trips I need the truck for, that can't be rescheduled. Should I be worried about driving it in the short term? (local garage says I should be fine, but I'm a worrier and wanted to check).

Zorin

Reaction score
OK, this is a VERY simple diag.

1. Pull the drive belt and BREIFLY start the engine. If the noise is gone, great, we have isolated it to the front accessory drive components. Spin each pulley, feel for roughness, feel for looseness, and listen for noise. If you haven't closed in on a suspect, put the belt back on and get a mechanic's stethoscope. Restart the engine, and put the probe on each belt driven accessory. The culprit will soon come VERY clear.

2. If the noise is still present with the belt off, then you have other problems like a failed torque converter or something of that nature.

This diag takes me less than 10 minutes on most cars unless the belt is a real pain in the ass to remove. As for if it's safe to take on a trip, I can't say that, but I CAN say the most common items that cause a breakdown are belts and hoses.....so if you have a FEAD bearing going out and it locks up and shreds the belt, well, you can guess where that's heading....

Tim

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does the whine continue or go away? You know you need to leave as much info as possible if you want good feedback. When it gets cold you often get whines. If you get the red battery CEL do not ignore it, I foolish ignored it and almost caused my wife an accident, what a dummy I was. That CEL is the alternator. It was a friday and I thought I could fix it over the weekend charged her battery and let her go to work, but this light comes on and in ten miles or so no matter what you are doing the car will just stop and there goes power steering and brakes, she was on the freeway when this happened. I share this embarrassing story for one purpose.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DITTO ^^^ What Burla and Zorin related. ZORIN has a quick check, and that will tell if a belt/pulley issue somewhere or something else. Not 100% fool proof, but a good quick check. Also, when U put belt back on, make sure U have diagram for routing. As long as off crank, should be alright to lay there for a second. My 1st thought if it was a Ford or GM would be idler tensioner pulley. Not put one on a RAM yet.

ADDED: If you have any doubts on what was suggested or your local shop, than FIND someone who really knows what they R doing and get it professionally diagnosed. Google shows like 5 dealers in area, just not sure how far away. But your ride, do what makes you feel OK.

ADDED: If you have E-Torque motor, then IMHO U really need to get it into a shop. Big money there if issues on system or other things. All IMHO.

Last edited:

octaneguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you find out the problem? Mine is doing the same with similar miles. Thanks!

Richard

2020 Laramie 1500 with about 25k on the clock.

In the last few weeks, I've started to hear a whining noise, that is getting more obvious. It matches the revs of the engine, and is a high pitched hum or whine - nothing metallic sounding.