2020 2500 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's weird. Could you find a Gen IV 2500 to test for comparison? Then you would pretty much know if it's a Gen V re-design issue.

I have Gen IV 2500 and brakes are great. Yeah it takes a bit longer to stop, but the truck is over 7,000 pounds, too. Brakes started getting spongy @ 2-3 years old, replaced brake fluid and they firmed right up again.

USA BEEF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
Brand new here.
How do the brakes suck? I have a 2018 2500 limited diesel 4WD that I use for back and forth to work, pulling hay and livestock. Without a trailer the brakes feel like stepping in mud when you have to slam on the brakes. Is this normal, the dealer says yes. 3 months after buying the truck (new) someone pulled out in front of me and did $35K damage to the truck. I slammed on the brakes and I could feel the pedal go to the floor, it felt like stepping in mud. 45-50 miles and hour could not stop, no skid marks and no airbag deployed.

Now second wreck, 80k miles later someone getting out of the way of the local sheriff pulls in front of me and stops. I slam on my brakes, same thing, step in mud. About the same speed, no skid marks and no airbag deployment. Is there a way to improve the brakes or just get rid of the truck? I step in mud and crap most days but when I drive I would like to feel a stiff pedal and stop. Is that too much to ask?

On a side note I have a 2018 3500 tradesmen that would right the Leaning tower of Pisa and the brakes are nothing like the Limited, they are great.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The only Ram's I've owned are 2500's, an 18 and now a 22. Brakes are great on both of them. I have a buddy with a Ford that I've driven some, and those brakes are way more abrupt. I prefer the Ram brake personally. I don't think one is stronger than the other, just a different pedal feel.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
One fix for mushy pedal that’s often effective is replacing the brake hoses with braided stainless. I can’t say I have tried it on a RAM HD personally.

I may soon, though. The pedal in the 22 is soft, as was the previous 19. I expect it to be more noticeable when I increase tire size, just as it did on the last one.

I prefer a firm pedal, regardless of whether it’s got a lot of boost and requires minimum foot pressure or vice versa.

I did get rid of a fairly new RAM 1500 once because the vacuum booster ran out of stroke in a panic stop situation before reaching the point of maximum braking. It felt like the pedal hit the floor, but it wasn’t; it just ran out of power assist. You could still lock up the tires by applying a huge amount of pedal pressure. After the dealer service people claimed that was normal I traded it off on another brand with effective brakes.

As an aside @USA BEEF , you won’t see skid marks any more from ABS equipped vehicles.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had a GEN4 3500 and always thought the brakes were very lack luster even when not towing. On my new 2500 they are OK, but then again the truck does weigh 8500lbs or so empty, so this aint the average grocery getter. Thank goodness the exhaust brake works very well.

USA BEEF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
Thanks for the suggestion on the hoses, I will give them a try. Any suggestions on rotors, pads and caliper replacement? I still run stock size tires and wheels.