2020 6.4 ticking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 ram big horn 2500, 3:73 , 8 speed
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I apologize in advance but I have another ticking question. I had a 5.7 with 60k that I traded for a new 2020 2500 6.4 bighorn. The 5.7 never made a peep. The other day I started the 6.4 while being very cold here and not running it for a while. To my surprise, the ticking noise was there. The truck was new and only a year old this month with 9k miles. As i recall the sound lasted a couple of minutes til the truck started to warm. I let it run for maybe 10 minutes and it seemed ok. Any thoughts? I really don’t run it much this time of year but last winter it never made a sound. Going to start again tomorrow.
thanks for your thoughts

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I apologize in advance but I have another ticking question. I had a 5.7 with 60k that I traded for a new 2020 2500 6.4 bighorn. The 5.7 never made a peep. The other day I started the 6.4 while being very cold here and not running it for a while. To my surprise, the ticking noise was there. The truck was new and only a year old this month with 9k miles. As i recall the sound lasted a couple of minutes til the truck started to warm. I let it run for maybe 10 minutes and it seemed ok. Any thoughts? I really don’t run it much this time of year but last winter it never made a sound. Going to start again tomorrow.
thanks for your thoughts
Sounds normal

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Redline 5w40 seems to really help with that, along with a quality filter

OP
OP
josie

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks firebird. I will take that under advisement. Started it yesterday and no tick. Going to fire it up today again. I don’t run it in PA winters with salt and projectiles all over the road unless absolutely necessary.
nice truck, thanks again

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if it is under warranty I would not run oil that chrysler does not specify. this is from page 371 of my 2020 OM.
NOTE:
Hemi engine (6.4L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon
restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer.

OP
OP
josie

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well said, thank you. I don’t take it out in the winter and only start it once a week. Sometimes it ticks sometimes it doesn’t but only for about 30 secs. I have two years left on warranty so i do let the dealer do the oil changes.