2020 Bighorn V6 Hesitation on Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slweaver1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi all!
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question. I have a brand new 2020 Bighorn V6 that I have had for about a month now. Let me add first that I am going from a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi to this. When I took the truck out for a test drive, all seemed fine but I'm not sure if I wasn't really paying attention because I was excited and just checking out all the bells and whistles. I only drove it around the block. Now that I've had the truck and really drove it, breaking it in on highways etc, it doesn't seem to be acting right. First off, when I'm at a stop light, and after the Automatic Start starts the engine, when I'm accelerating, it seems to hesitate sometimes. So I'll press the gas pedal a little harder and the RPM's jump to about 3,200. Also, if I slow down due to traffic or whatnot, and then press the gas immediately I will feel a "buck" in my rear, almost as if someone rear ended me. Not hard, but I definitely feel it. Also, coming to a stop, it's almost as if I have an engine brake or something. The truck slows down fast, and hard. When I drive my parents vehicle, a Honda Accord which is also a 6 cylinder, it doesn't respond like that at all. I know one is a car and other is truck, but the acceleration is smooth and doesn't respond like my truck does. So my thought process for the past month is that this is normal. New vehicles have new technology and this is just how it is now. Maybe I'm just paranoid there's a problem and there's really not. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if this is normal. Hopefully I'm explaining this good enough. Not sure if I should bring it in to the dealer or not. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not going to nitpick on the section you put stuff but seeing as it is brand new, dealership is a must.
On a side note, not dissing your truck but never been a believer in having a V6 motor in a truck.
The Accord you mentioned is smaller and lighter therefore it will get off the line quicker than a heaver vehicle.

If you can, take a video of the issues to show the dealership so they can see beforehand. Good luck and welcome aboard.

OP
OP
S

slweaver1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I appreciate your feedback. I think I agree with you, and have learned a lesson on purchasing a V6. I figured I didn't need anything bigger since I'm no longer towing anything heavy, and welcomed the better gas mileage. Thanks again for your help! Off to the dealership!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hi all!
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question. I have a brand new 2020 Bighorn V6 that I have had for about a month now. Let me add first that I am going from a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi to this. When I took the truck out for a test drive, all seemed fine but I'm not sure if I wasn't really paying attention because I was excited and just checking out all the bells and whistles. I only drove it around the block. Now that I've had the truck and really drove it, breaking it in on highways etc, it doesn't seem to be acting right. First off, when I'm at a stop light, and after the Automatic Start starts the engine, when I'm accelerating, it seems to hesitate sometimes. So I'll press the gas pedal a little harder and the RPM's jump to about 3,200. Also, if I slow down due to traffic or whatnot, and then press the gas immediately I will feel a "buck" in my rear, almost as if someone rear ended me. Not hard, but I definitely feel it. Also, coming to a stop, it's almost as if I have an engine brake or something. The truck slows down fast, and hard. When I drive my parents vehicle, a Honda Accord which is also a 6 cylinder, it doesn't respond like that at all. I know one is a car and other is truck, but the acceleration is smooth and doesn't respond like my truck does. So my thought process for the past month is that this is normal. New vehicles have new technology and this is just how it is now. Maybe I'm just paranoid there's a problem and there's really not. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if this is normal. Hopefully I'm explaining this good enough. Not sure if I should bring it in to the dealer or not. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
I have a 2017 Rebel with the Pentastar, having come from two Hemi's in a row. I agree with what's been said about involving your dealer. With regard to a V6 in a truck, it's more than fine, particularly mated to the 8spd trans. Once they sort out your issue, you might think about getting a pedal commander or a tuner (if you're not familiar there are a few threads on both topics. The pedal commander gets rid of some or all of the digital lag in the accelerator. Not being able to adequatedly tow (to a point) with a V6 is a myth, I tow a two horse traler all the time, it's fine. I also have a higher payload capacity with a few hundred pounds less in the engine compartment. I love Hemis but I have no regrets about the Pentastar.

Good luck!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is a 5th gen Ram 1500?

So your pentastar has the E-torque system. This is a whole'nother animal compared to 4th gens with the pentastar.

My previous Ram was a 2017 with the pentastar. Absolutely loved it. No issues as you describe.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Forum, you have the V-6 with the E torque and start/stop, the E torque is new technology I would for sure take it back to the dealer, did you buy it from Doan/ Westherr on W ridge rd. I live in Gates, I purchased my truck there, there is a Demo on here for the E torque I'll look for it .

OP
OP
S

slweaver1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Welcome to the Forum, you have the V-6 with the E torque and start/stop, the E torque is new technology I would for sure take it back to the dealer, did you buy it from Doan/ Westherr on W ridge rd. I live in Gates, I purchased my truck there, there is a Demo on here for the E torque I'll look for it .

Thanks for your reply. I bought it from Marina Dodge in Webster. I'll definitely give the dealership a call. If you can find that demo, that would be great! Thanks again!

Christian Dionne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
slweaver1 - you described my issues EXACTLY..... I was wondering what the outcome was from the dealership....

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the OP moved on. Old thread. In regards to that link, I think every post in that thread is in regards to a hemi/etorque as opposed to the pentastar/etorque in question. We've got very little info on this site in regards to the pentastar/etorque combo.
Do all the E-torque trucks have Start/Stop? I know that disabling it (by any means reasonably necessary) made a Hell of a difference in off the line get up and go in our JGC. The one time I drove it and a couple other vehicles with start/stop when it engaged/disengaged it definitely created a noticeable lag to me. Downright scary if you ask me.

Degrtfamily

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all!

Degrtfamily

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum but a long time Ram owner I have a new 2020 Ram Bighorn V6 Also with 9700 Miles on it now, Still havthe same issues you are. My Truck has a Random Hesitation on acceleration between 40 to 50 Mph Range at times it gets bad for about 30 seconds then clears up and it will happen sometimes a week later , I just took it in for the 10,000 mile service the Techs Noted my issues but could duplicate the problem. I Have on video the truck wines terribly on cold start up and other times is quiet, It also on a cold start up will sometimes make a loud clanking noise, I had my son start the truck while I was taking video the noise is the transmission engagement in Park it slightly turns the drivshaft causing the noise. I love the truck otherwise but see transmission issues in its future but find it odd with others complaining about the same issues Ram hasn't addressed the problem yet. I had a 2016 Ram 5.7 for 5 years Never had any issues! Should have never traded it in for this truck. I also own a 2001 Ram 1500 ST 3.9 L Single Cab my work horse Love this truck 200,000 and still running Great. Well hopefully Ram will figure this out soon.