2020 Camping season.....over before it starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm fortunate enough to have my own property in the hills. Worst case, I just won't be taking it anywhere.

My plan is to go there this weekend and work on the camper. If I have a need to isolate myself, I want it ready to go. My wife is 8 months pregnant, so I don't want to take any chances.
Well please take care and congratulations with you little one on the way

god bless

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We were supposed to leave this past Monday for a 3 week trip to Calif. to see the kids and grandkids.....ain't happening. We were going to mosey back up the No. Calif coast and Oregon coast....a trip we love. Man...I was looking forward to pulling our trailer with my new truck.....we'll see how soon that will happen. Stay healthy folks.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm fortunate enough to have my own property in the hills. Worst case, I just won't be taking it anywhere.

My plan is to go there this weekend and work on the camper. If I have a need to isolate myself, I want it ready to go. My wife is 8 months pregnant, so I don't want to take any chances.

Can you deliver a baby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We were going to go to Florida from MA in 2 weeks but we canceled the trip. Most camp grounds around this area are closed as well so yeah its not looking good for this camping season. I'm debating if I should even drain the antifreeze out of the camper.

Sucks because around now I really start getting the itch to go camping....

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Indiana state parks' campgrounds are open! The Hoosier National Forest campgrounds are closed but they allow dispersed camping (but check before you go).
We may do that real soon, we're having a spate of gorgeous weather and cabin fever has set in.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Trip for Dover race cancelled. Memorial Day in VA cancelled.
When things do reopen, it will be a mad dash to get reservations!
Yeah, I feel your pain. We have had a trip for early summer planned for at least 7 months now and I'm really starting to wonder if that's going to go now also.

Its truly unfortunate in so many ways. I try not to think about it too much. This will be the first year of my life not to have Easter Sunday lunch with my mom and extended family.

Me and my immediate family are very fortunate to be in good health overall. We don't know from year to year how many more years we'll have together where we are all healthy and active and able to go on camping trips and vacations together. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. I lost my dad to ALS when I was a young man and learned that very early on.

Covid19 is stealing a year of spring and provably most of summer trips from us and that's just extremely sad.

Ok, lol, moving on before I think about that too much. God is good and we have so much to be thankful for. Thanks for listening guys....have a good weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
We were going to go to Florida from MA in 2 weeks but we canceled the trip. Most camp grounds around this area are closed as well so yeah its not looking good for this camping season. I'm debating if I should even drain the antifreeze out of the camper.

Sucks because around now I really start getting the itch to go camping....

Yep that's exactly where I'm at right now. Seriously wondering if I should even dewinterize this year...not I'm any rush to right now that's for sure.

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My wife and I just purchased a new 5th wheel in January and have several trips planned. But our RV is still at the dealer, and they called two weeks ago and they are not sure when we will be able to pick it up.

Mbi777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moved up here to Wisconsin last October. Bought a TT around the same time and have had it in storage since then. Had several trips reserved for April, May, June in Wi, and September in Minnesota. Dang, between storage, Insurance, and all the accessories I have had to buy, I am close to a few thousand dollars and not even used it yet. Not complaining though because my family is still healthy and safe during these challenging times. Take care everyone!

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They're still having parks open in Minnesota but all the DNR managed facilities like campgrounds are closed. I have a few reservations I already made this summer that I already paid for so I'm curious to see what ends up happening. All of mine are in June-August so hopefully things are cleared up a bit by then. If not, I live in the woods so we could always camp in the backyard or on my wife's family property somewhere. Hunting seasons are at least still open. I plan on bagging a Turkey here in a couple of weeks!

We are supposedly going to be refunded for our April reservation (at a MN state park). We'll see what happens with the rest of them. Have 8 more online reservations that we made already from May-October. Can't get our camper up into our woods, so if we're staying home and "camping" it'll be in the yard or tenting it in the woods.

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
We are supposedly going to be refunded for our April reservation (at a MN state park). We'll see what happens with the rest of them. Have 8 more online reservations that we made already from May-October. Can't get our camper up into our woods, so if we're staying home and "camping" it'll be in the yard or tenting it in the woods.

I would hope we'll be refunded for any cancelled reservations. This state takes enough of my money as it is with all the extra taxes and fees they charge. Hopefully the rest of our reservations hold up. Tent camping can be just as rewarding in my opinion. Just need a good tent!

DAKSY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Our 2020 WINTER season was cut short due to the pandemic. We dragged the Stryker 2916, with the Harleys in the garage, down to MacDill AFB mid-Jan for 3 weeks & slowly worked our way up to campgrounds in GA. & SC. We were at Joint Base Charleston Short Stay, with reservations thru 28 March, but the Fam Camp closed on the 20th & we got our refund & bailed. We did 900+/- miles in 2 days & made it safely home. We will see if there is anywhere to go this summer, & if not, we will stay home...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We have a trip to Disney's campground in July that appears in jeopardy. While I think camping may allow the social distancing that we will need to continue in some form until a vaccine is in place next year, not sure I will chance a park visit without the protection of being vaccinated. I think camping, done with following guidelines that will surely come in the future, will be possible later this summer. But life will not be "back to normal" because even if someone already had it, they can still carry it and give it to others. Everyone will have to be a bit more cognizant of our potential impact to others. We will get through it together. Good luck to us all.

Widoemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7l Turbo Diesel
Ditto, I'm not even dewinterizing till things are back to normal. Sad but it's just the way it is.

Al Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I would still get her ready. Might need before you need her. At least make sure everything is working.

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A HUGE thank you to all of those who are out there helping others - Medical workers, truckers bringing supplies, food and grocery workers, and too many more to list.

This sucks for all of us. I am a fulltimer, meaning I live "on the road" in my 16 ft Travel Trailer. I don't have land or a house/apartment to go to. Before anyone screams "deadbeat!" realize that I do still work (or I did until this current turn of events) and am not on any taxpayer funded assistance. It's a lifestyle choice as is choosing to purchase a house.

Currently in Texas at a private RV park. All of the State Parks anywhere near me are not allowing overnight stays of any kind. Most of the City, LCRA, and County parks are closed even to day visitors. Closing of Parks and Campgrounds mean thousands of full time RVers like me are looking for safe places to stay and 'shelter in place'.

Just a friendly bit of free advice to those who say they will just head out and see what they get, be advised that Texas is stopping vehicles coming in from Louisiana, as is Florida. My friends in Silverton Colorado and Moab Utah say that authorities are stopping and in some cases ticketing out of state/county license plates. I have not yet experienced this myself, just repeating news from friends.

As I was towing my home to get to this safe RV Park from a Texas State Park that closed, I felt 'hostility'. No overt violence, just a perception of locals angered at a 'vacationer'. Be aware that this sentiment *may* exist especially if you have out-of-state plates.

Best of luck to everyone.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's all media driven nonsense. I'll go camping anyways... I don't need a state park and I go where there aren't any people anyways as I do mountain lake photography for the forest service. I don't let fear drive me... I just stay away from people. Look at these stats and tell me if this Chinese Virus is worse?
Virus_Stats.jpg ww3-world-war-3-is-cancelled-but-you-get-hit-with-corona-virus-tom-and-jerry.jpg

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Still on for me. 356 acres of family private property with 2000 feet of waterfront on two lakes, good shoreline and fishing. Also heading for crown land where there are piles of lakes and lots of places to camp roughing it where there are no people. Set up camp base from truck with camper or van, drive trails all day on Enduro TE 300i and back in evening to sleep at camp. Repeat at will variegating areas targeting long three to four day weekends from now until late fall.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What type do you have? They have a sweet setup for sure!