2020 Camping season.....over before it starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We got ours uncovered and installed the new goodies (tongue jack, TV mount, vent cover) but didn't de-winterize or wash it yet. I have reservations for a state park the first weekend of May. We went for a Sunday drive yesterday and the sign still says opening May 1 so we may be opening day campers!

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
What type do you have? They have a sweet setup for sure!

Truck camper is a Shasta fully outfitted slide in camper 1800 pounds...bathroom (toilet, shower) oven, solid state thermostat heater, fridge, kitchen sink, queen bed, etc. Bought it for $4500. 5 years ago for yearly extended holidays for destinations in USA. This unit is not a junk heap but a 1995 model well maintained I bought soon as I walked into it and owner said it had never seen a mouse. Saves me in a month instead of hotels minimum of $1500 to $2000 and paid itself off in purchase cost.

Other option is a 1979 Chev van inherited from father outfitted for sleeping, cooking, etc Zero cost but was concerned even with 85000 mileage on it that rust might have destroyed it' s structural integrity. Road certification found no rust by three mechanic inspection. Only needed two new rear tires and a few marker bulbs. Father pressure oiled it twice a year. I use this or 2500 SLT depending on where I go when camping in forestry access road areas north of my location depending on target destination. Some areas are rough and require high clearance and 4WD even in summer. Set up base camp\ with either vehicle and 2020 TE Husqvarna 300i rides on channel carrier off rear hitch. Use it to tearass around the zillions of abandoned logging roads and trails off forestry access roads. Lots of lakes to kayak and camp around and only 90 minutes away. Can access large cities or small villages by trails connected to them at will.

Family farm area is only 30 minutes away and two trailers parked at lake waterfront. One is bare frame built up with wood stove and the other is a purchased model. I can and do use them with access road van can travel.

I am not stingy but have saved a lot of money by purchasing/utilizing/outfitting/building older units self contained and comfortable. On the road when tripping all parts of USA, I stay at Walmart, Target, etc when heading for destination which invariably is the Colorado Rockies. People I have befriended allow me to camp on their estate property just outside Denver for long as I want. Vacations and getaways do not have to cost zillions.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Should be heading out tomorrow at 1300 for Easter camping.

Not happening thia year. They are talking now abiut extending it from 30April to 1June.

Guess they know what they are doing right.

This is annoying...but guess for the good of all.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wife and I were supposed to be heading out for two weeks on May 1st with our 20' Nash TT, doing mostly BLM lands through California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah. Did have 3 days at Grand Canyon, but it's all cancelled now. Rescheduled to mid September so we'll see what happens. Not going to take any chances as i'm high risk, so i'll just spend this time messing with the trailer.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This sucks for all of us. I am a fulltimer, meaning I live "on the road" in my 16 ft Travel Trailer. I don't have land or a house/apartment to go to. Before anyone screams "deadbeat!" realize that I do still work (or I did until this current turn of events) and am not on any taxpayer funded assistance. It's a lifestyle choice as is choosing to purchase a house.

We're fulltiming as well, have been for the last two years. After 26 years in the same house we were done with the hassle as well as the location. Talked about it and decided to make a move, we sold the house and moved our 40' diesel pusher to an RV park close to my work to live out the last few years to retirement, the we're out of this state. Don't miss the house one bit except for the garage. Moved our Nash TT to a local RV storage, doesn't cost us a thing as the wife got a part time job there. She's already retired so it's worked out perfectly.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Closing of Parks and Campgrounds mean thousands of full time RVers like me are looking for safe places to stay and 'shelter in place'.

I thought about folks like you when I heard about all these parks and campgrounds closing. I know several full time RVers.

I know you aren't in the midwest, but I have to give a shout out to Indiana governor Holcomb, who made an exception to the closings for fulltimers.

Good luck to everyone.

Rijrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We're slowly getting our rig ready for two or three-day trip, mostly to look for leaks and little critter infestations. Here in NC all camping is shutdown just like everywhere else, but as of 4/9 the curve is already flattening a bit and it may be a whole different world by September. We can always dream.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good Monday morning. I hope y'all had a good Easter...as good as possible under the circumstances.

I just heard a news report (NBC local affiliate) that said either the CDC or some other organization "hoped" things could be fully back to normal.......by November. That doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies for camping this year but I guess we shall see...these are crazy times...

glwhitetail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yikes, yeah luckily we only had 2 trips planned. And the one is through the Michigan State park system and they are waving the cancellation fees now. That is Memorial Day weekend. I am thinking we are safe to ax that one. Next one is not until July but nothing has been said yet about options for cancellations there. Ours gets parked in a shed at my parents farm. I think i might head out there in May (maybe) and redo the moth balls etc. Give it a full check over.. and leave it for the year. Luckily it is not in the way of any implement.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks beautiful there. That's my kind of social distancing.

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My son's girlfriend works at a provincial park here every summer. She just got the call to tell her they aren't hiring anyone back for the 2020 season. If things change they will call.

Soooo.... if that's true, sounds like 2020 is already in the bag.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
93234352_10157615317854753_7083821653011988480_n.jpg

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Lol! That's funny. We have to stay positive, as much as we can in light of things.

I already feel like this virus is stealing a spring and summer from us.... possibly more...one we can't get back, one where we're thankfully all healthy and active. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

But again, we're together and safe so far so I'm grateful for that.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Message_1586904850626.jpg
I moved are old pop up around in the mud at my camp. Kinda atleast for the feeling I towed a camper to a campsite.

Man is it muddy. And then it snowed some. Gotta love April