2020 Eco diesel problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have found a cpl. at dealers here in the DFW metro area but both 67,000$..for 68,665$ can pick from several 2500 laramie 4x4 gassers with same equipment. as much as I would like to give one a try, I am leery about being upside down on a 1500 when all the crazyness is over.

Ian Berger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Okay you want an honest owner opinion on the eco diesel? I own a 2021 Ram Rebel nearly fully loaded with exception to driver assist /park assist and tow package. I took delivery in March 2021, I special ordered this truck, took 3 months at a cost of $73253.00 within a week truck brokedown, no warning, dealer had it for a month and were unable to isolate/repeat, got it back, drove another 24300 miles as of 5/19/22 and it happened again complete engine shutdown. Both times had my family in the truck, 1st time was on the freeway at 65mph when it failed,lost power and dash lit up like a xmas tree. 2nd time I just exited the freeway and again lost power, ran like it was on 3-4 cylinders and shut down and wouldnt restart. The cause for the 2nd failure was determined by the dealership as the High Pressure fuel pump failed internally, so, to all you guys who are talking sh*t about salespeople just trying to push out their existing inventory, do your f**king research before trashing dealerships and salespeople, many are honest and hardworking. Why wouldnt they sell a $70k truck if the demand was there? Ask yourself Why are there no Eco Diesels on every lot?Theres a reason why theres a shortage of Eco Diesels, the pump failed and is causing full contamination through the fuel system! Thats Why! They are having to replace my entire fuel system components, and guess what IM NOT THE ONLY ONE! Lets throw in the fact that there are also a backorder of parts too, with some indicating No ETA!
Honestly, dont buy an eco diesel, after you add up the current price for diesel, here in Ca. $6.49 a gallon, thats $194.70 for 30 gal.tank, Ive averaged 21mpg. MY BEST was a trip I yielded 27.5 avereage (not towing anything) so tobthat guy who claimed 25-33 and gaining 1/10th with every tank I call bullsh*t! When you add up the cost of DEF every 4-5 tank fills and the $250 to do the oil change, and No its not because the filter is expensive it uses 10 qts. of oil and there 2 filters and labor that is charged,. The bottom line is Ram left me stranded twice, I cant affort to waste good money for an unreliable truck. Somw will say otherwise but when it comes to the safety of my family, I WILL NOT COMPROMISE their lives for a company who puts profit over safety.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
$250 to do the oil change, and No its not because the filter is expensive it uses 10 qts. of oil and there 2 filters and labor that is charged,
I will call your BS. The 3rdGen EcoDiesel engine has an 8.5 quart oil capacity(a Hemi holds 7) and there is only one oil filter. Even the fuel system only has one filter. As for you outrageous price to change the oil, that's because it sounds like it's a dealership your paying to change the oil. With a little shopping all the supplies needed to change the oil can be easily bought under $80.

As for a failed HPFP your one of the few that have had this happen. Very few overall reports of the pump failing on both generations.

Ian Berger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
As for the hpfp. Its been failing on a lot of the 3.0 and 6.7 Cummins diesels, its not a "few" of them, each use a different HPFP but both are failing, this is absolutely unacceptable and a safety issue that needs to be addressed immediately with the NTSB and DOT, before someone gets seriously injured or killed.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
As for the hpfp. Its been failing on a lot of the 3.0 and 6.7 Cummins diesels, its not a "few" of them, each use a different HPFP but both are failing, this is absolutely unacceptable and a safety issue that needs to be addressed immediately with the NTSB and DOT, before someone gets seriously injured or killed.
This simply is not true. I have no idea where you get your data from but I get mine from my son who works on Chrysler's diesel powertrains.

Warranty information is closely guarded by the manufacturers and it isn't made available. In 2019, for some stupid reason, Cummins engines switched over to the CP4 HPFP and there were reported issues of grenading. Right now they are in the process of swapping out the pumps for a newer version of the CP3.

On the ECO, very few issues with the GEN3 design and almost no issues with the HPFP failing on any generation of the ECO.

I haven't a clue what your "a lot" is or what "a lot" means with respect to the percentage of ECOs sold. I think you are telling a story because if the facts were presented, the story would not be worth telling.

hardhat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I have a ECO that had a CP4 failure at 16,000 miles. The truck died in flight on the freeway. I had it towed to the dealership where the diagnostics were done. My truck, and others, will be in their hands for an undetermined amount of time. The service writer was well aware of this problem. A quick look on line and I discovered that this part is discontinued or recalled in other vehicles. I loved the truck, but I cannot have an unreliable vehicle.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
We got a 21 Ram Big Horn crew cab short bed Ecodiesel on February 5. Two weeks and 1,000 miles later we took off on a cross country (NY to KY, TX, NM, AZ, CO, Utah, and back to NY) trip pulling our 23 foot travel trailer. We put 11,500 more miles on it as we traveled south and across the country to National Parks, ski resorts, beaches, et all. We towed 6,500 pounds, with two adults and a dog and a full bed of stuff. It tows like a dream. Got 11 to 14 MPG when towing, depending on wind speed and terrain. Got 25 to 33 when not towing. At 8000 miles it needed an oil change, done in Tuscon Az at a Ram dealer and I had to fill the 10 gallon DEF tank twice with all the towing. Totally trouble free. Comfortable. Great ride. 33 gallon tank, 500 to 700 mile range. Get one.
OK, I now have over 40,000 miles on our truck, about 75% of the miles are towing (cross country between NY and the west coast and NY and the Texas). We've had the following issues:

At about 33,000 miles in Death Valley, a weird dash warning light lit, the engine went into a particulate filter cleaning cycle every 20 miles while towing and the outside air temperature on the dash read 190 degrees. Clearly something was wrong. When I checked the owner's manual I found a procedure (turn engine off and restart within a few seconds) which restored normal operation and instructions to get it checked asap. A dealer in Yucca Valley found that the ambient air temperature sensor had quit. The dealer didn't have the part in stock, but got it from another dealer within 24 hours. The dealer also changed the oil and filters.

The wiring harness to the transfer case failed at 39,300 miles and was replaced under the 100,000 mile drive train warranty.

The trailer reverse steering control didn't work upon delivery. Turned out Ram installed the wrong rear back up camera at the factory. It took 9 months and many visits to the dealer for Ram to figure out what the issue was.

What's been my biggest headache? OEM oil filters are short supply and back ordered for 6 to 8 weeks. In NY dealers are unwilling to share stock with each other, and only willing to sell direct to customers. Until recently I was able to get one by driving a couple of hours to other dealers to buy one. But now nobody has them. I now order the next oil filter when when the last one is installed. Yeah, that's not insane! The problem now is that I am still waiting for that next filter to show up before our next cross country trip. I haven't yet resorted to buying the El Cheapo Amazon part, but if I can't get the OEM filter before we leave for Seattle in 3 weeks, I will. Seriously, Stelantis needs to have these in stock and stop with the lame "we-got-no-parts-'cause-a-Covid" BS. They have been making this engine for 3 years, they need to have the disposable maintenance items in stock... Enough of this crap.

Even with these problems I have no problem with strongly recommending the EcoDiesel 3.0 truck.

For one, it has a 100,000 mile 10 year drive train warranty. The 4-wheel drive wiring harness would not have been covered if this truck had any other engine. If this part failed on a 5.7 liter gas engine, I would have paid.

MPGs continue to amaze, and even with the price of diesel at $6.00 a gallon now, I have made back the extra $2,000 the engine cost me (over the 5.7 liter gas beast). And the price of diesel is inching back down even as I write this.

Even if diesel is more expensive, the 3.0 liter diesel gives you a long distance range and economy that you just can't get with any of the gas engines in any other Ram pickup truck. I get 30-34 mpg when not towing. I have a 33 gallon tank. Do the math. Can a gas engine pickup go nearly 900 miles without filling up when not towing? No it can't.

Here is the bottom line:
- if you tow something under 9,000 lbs. and/or do a lot of long distance driving, you want this truck.
- if you want a truck with a regular factory drive-train warranty of 100,000 miles, you want this truck.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What's been my biggest headache? OEM oil filters are short supply and back ordered for 6 to 8 weeks. In NY dealers are unwilling to share stock with each other, and only willing to sell direct to customers. Until recently I was able to get one by driving a couple of hours to other dealers to buy one.
Check: www.dieselfiltersonline.com

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Does your truck use the Mopar 472067AA fuel filter, if so check out these places to see if they still have them in stock: https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-filter-fuel-water-separator~4726067aa.html or https://klmperformance.com/ also Amazon had them in stock a while ago.

Yeah... I tried to order from several of these sites. But there were two problems.

The part for the newest generation OEM oil filter has changed. The new number is 68507598AA. 68498720AA is the old part. My service manager says don't use or bother to order the old part, somethings changed about it. Anyway, I ordered from one of those sites, and it was supposed to arrive monday. Now it's supposed to be here friday.

The water separating fuel filter (68432442AB) is also hard to get. My dealer is also waiting for one. I located one at a dealer in NJ by going thru Walmart.com. That is supposed to be delivered in a week.

Hence my frustration.

The best thing to do is order your next oil and fuel filter when you install the one you have. This works OK, until you are on a long trip and your filters arrive at home when you are 3,500 miles from home.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
As of this moment, Amazon has this OEM filter in stock; $55.

I ordered that one. Its the fuel filter I ordered from Walmart.com. Both are being fulfilled by third parties.

The fuel filter from Walmart is supposedly coming from NJ. We will see whether it shows up on July 27, as UPS says it's supposed to. While the shipping label was created, UPS isn't showing it as in their possession. Yet.

I am confident that the oil filter is going to be delivered. The supplier on Amazon seems legit and FedEx has it in their possession. It is coming from Nashville and is supposed to be here Friday. However, the Amazon fitment web site says this filter won't fit my truck, despite it being the correct part number and all.

Nothing in this Covid world works right the first time.

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I ordered that one. Its the fuel filter I ordered from Walmart.com. Both are being fulfilled by third parties.

The fuel filter from Walmart is supposedly coming from NJ. We will see whether it shows up on July 27, as UPS says it's supposed to. While the shipping label was created, UPS isn't showing it as in their possession. Yet.

I am confident that the oil filter is going to be delivered. The supplier on Amazon seems legit and FedEx has it in their possession. It is coming from Nashville and is supposed to be here Friday. However, the Amazon fitment web site says this filter won't fit my truck, despite it being the correct part number and all.

Nothing in this Covid world works right the first time.
Yes, Amazon says it won't fit my truck either. I confirmed that it's the same on the dealership work order from my last oil change.

I will check Walmart on the fuel filter. Thanks for that.

My truck developed an oil leak and it's in the shop now. They want 5 days just to diagnose the problem.

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I am a bit early to comment here because I just got a 2018, gen 4 with 72,000km. Full history though and also dealer serviced. Honestly that scares me more than you would think. Dealers just don't know diesels period.
I also have a VW TDI with close to 200k on it and it runs like a charm for one reason in my opinion - regular maintenance and top quality filters and fluids. I assume the Ram will be the same, Mtce before its scheduled and the motor will go a long long time.
So far on the hwy I am getting down around 9liters per 100km which is fantastic, it pulls well too getting the trailer from the camp. Go go juice while towing is higher but very good in comparison to my 3.6l pentastar grand cherokee, I mean even with a trailer it is far ahead.
I scored getting 4 - 5l jugs of T6 5w-40 for $42 bucks a jug and I just ordered a 4 pack of oil filters for $120 Cdn, You guys in the US would take 30% off those prices. I think they were good prices so I am not going to complain.
If I was going to suggest a vehicle to anybody I really would say the ecodiesel is the way to go, just investigate what your getting. Their are lemons in every brand and don't be afraid of the rumor mill saying it is a problem engine. yeah there are bad ones out there but aren't there always?